Quick Update and Additional Questions

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
HappyPeanut
Embryo

Quick Update and Additional Questions

Post by HappyPeanut »

Good afternoon, Rangers.

I posted an introduction a few days ago; my introduction can be found at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=66769. I wanted to write an update because I spoke to a recruiter on Tuesday.

My recruiter is an infantryman who completed Airborne and Ranger School. It was good to be able to talk to him and ask questions, but he admitted that he was new to recruiting and that he had only been doing it for a month. He was not able to answer all of my questions, so I thought that I could possibly ask the same questions here for a more definitive answer. I've done research on my questions, but that research has turned up few or vague results. I did take some sort of Army dummy ASVAB test to see what I might score on the real ASVAB. I scored an 80 and they said that was good, but I'm not 100% sure.

1. In order to attend RASP you must score 80% on each AFPT event (running, sit-ups, push-ups). At what point are you tested on this? I was under the impression that you would need to take the AFPT before leaving for BCT to ensure that you met the minimum score requirements. The recruiters at the office, however, stated that a candidate would simply need to meet the AFPT requirements before completing BCT. Which one is correct?

I run a little over 2 miles in 25 minutes and I know that is not nearly acceptable. Right now I am at an 11:30 mile pace and I'm bringing that down. As for sit-ups and push-ups, I'd say I'm about 60% of the way to high PT scores on those. Also, I've been running on hilly roads, so I'm not sure how accurate that mile time would be on a flat track.

2. My understanding of family life in the Ranger Regiment is that it is tough. That's understandable for the nature of work that you do and the amount of time that is dedicated to that work. Something the recruiter was not able to answer: If I successfully complete RASP, will my wife immediately be able to move to my assigned duty station? I have found some results on this, but they are rather vague.

A question to those with wives and/or: how many hours per day are you able to see your family? Or how many days per week? I know that this could be very difficult to answer as it's likely to be variable, but I thought that I would ask.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback in my introduction post. Thank you all!
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Quick Update and Additional Questions

Post by cams »

It's been quite some time but I'll give my thoughts and experiences on it.

You don't need to score 80% on your APFT to receive an Opt40 contract, it's great if you can but that will all come later with a lot of hard work. Expect to be smoked as soon as you arrive to RASP and then take a PT Test right after that. Many will fail on day one. Don't be that guy that wastes a slot. Either get ready now and push yourself beyond any limits you've ever set or don't even bother. Immediately start adding pull ups to your PT routine.

Your run is quite possibly the worst I've seen. You need to fix that quickly. Your 1 mile run time actually needs to be your 2 mile run time or you will fail. You'll be tested on a 5 mile run time as well, which should be around 35 minutes. Expect to already be exhausted before any of these tests are conducted.

Billeting may have changed significantly since my time but as young Privates we were required to live in the barracks for the first year of service. No questions asked. You'll be straight out daily and have no time or energy for family during that first year. You'll have a thousand things to learn still and you can't do that from your couch at home.

Lastly you're looking way further ahead than you should be. You're not even remotely ready for Battalion, hit the 25M target first and get yourself in shape before even asking for an Opt40.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I've made two posts to you that you've failed to acknowledge. One in your intro and this one above. You've been on the site several times since each post was made.

Why should I or anyone else continue to offer our time to you?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

cams wrote:I've made two posts to you that you've failed to acknowledge. One in your intro and this one above. You've been on the site several times since each post was made.

Why should I or anyone else continue to offer our time to you?
I also have made two responses to you, both on your introduction thread and I have not received any acknowledgement back. If you are serious about this process I would recommend you go to your intro and answer the Rangers back who have already answered you. If all you want to do is play 21 questions and not feel like you need to do anything on your part to show us Rangers that you are serious about putting in the effort to becoming a Ranger, then why should we help you. Like I stated in your Intro, most of your answers can be found here, however, you have to be willing to show us you have the desire and motivation to ' complete the mission'. Remember, communication is a two way street, you have to do your part, WE WILL do ours. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
HappyPeanut
Embryo

Post by HappyPeanut »

I apologize on the lack of response. That will not happen again. I have a great deal of work to do in regards to PT, but I'll be at a 12-13 minute 2-mile before I even consider Option 40. My current run time is based on hills so I'm going to have to get an accurate 2-mile run on a track this weekend. I'll post back with my results.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

HappyPeanut wrote:I apologize on the lack of response. That will not happen again. I have a great deal of work to do in regards to PT, but I'll be at a 12-13 minute 2-mile before I even consider Option 40. My current run time is based on hills so I'm going to have to get an accurate 2-mile run on a track this weekend. I'll post back with my results.
what is your recruiter telling you?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
HappyPeanut
Embryo

Post by HappyPeanut »

Jim wrote:
HappyPeanut wrote:I apologize on the lack of response. That will not happen again. I have a great deal of work to do in regards to PT, but I'll be at a 12-13 minute 2-mile before I even consider Option 40. My current run time is based on hills so I'm going to have to get an accurate 2-mile run on a track this weekend. I'll post back with my results.
His response was something along the lines of "You have to be able to meet the PT requirements once you get to RASP, but you need to be prepared well beforehand."
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

HappyPeanut wrote:
Jim wrote:
His response was something along the lines of "You have to be able to meet the PT requirements once you get to RASP, but you need to be prepared well beforehand."
Who the fuck are you talking to? You've been told several times to read the rules of the site. You PM'd me with a link to the News area stating that these are the only rules you could find, so I did the work for you out of the fucking kindness of my heart and provided you with 2 different links for site rules and instructed you not to post again until you read them.

Tell me, did you read over the links I sent you? Yes or no?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

HappyPeanut
Embryo

Post by HappyPeanut »

Ranger Cams,

I apologize. I did read the links you provided. I did not, however, see an avatar group titled "Newts" -- I only found "Enlisted", "Tactical", and "DEP". My response was to Ranger Jim.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

HappyPeanut wrote:Ranger Cams,

I apologize. I did read the links you provided. I did not, however, see an avatar group titled "Newts" -- I only found "Enlisted", "Tactical", and "DEP". My response was to Ranger Jim.
You better unfuck yourself with a quickness or you'll be gone from here for lack of situational awareness. If you don't know what that means look it up, that's my last bit of advice. I'm done with you. Don't PM me again.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

It has almost been a month since you last posted. I have seen you on the site several times. Please tell us what is going on.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”