Recruiter says I can't do Airborne Physical

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Recruiter says I can't do Airborne Physical

Post by Mungi671 »

Hello Rangers,

My 17th birthday has recently passed and I have begun filling out paperwork for enlistment. There were no problems until I told my recruiter my intention of enlisting with an 11X Option 40 Contract. I don't know whether she is trying to lie to me or is just incompetent. I was told that I CANNOT get Airborne school or RASP in my contract, and that I must volunteer in OSUT. I know this is false. The reason for this is simply because we live on the U.S. Territory Guam.
There is no Army Base here and I was told that I will not be able to get an Airborne Physical at MEPS because we do not have the necessary facility here. I know that people stateside that live far from MEPS can make transportation arrangements with their recruiter to drive there. The problem is I am surrounded by the Pacific Ocean. My recruiter told me that the nearest Processing Station that can perform the Airborne Physical is in Hawaii. I asked if there is some way the Army can send me to complete MEPS, the answer I got is negative.

I will not compromise, this is the only contract that I will accept. If you have any insight or experience with situations like these I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you for your time.
11X
Ship Date 20150908
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Re: Recruiter says I cant do Airborne Physical

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

If I remember correctly the 'Airborne physical' was simply the doc watching me pop my ears and that was it. There may have been something with the color vision test but I seem to remember everyone looking at those silly placards (either PIP or FALANT according to AR 40-501) regardless and I find it hard to believe a MEPS station wouldn't have a set of those.

A possible course of action is to go to your MEPS (or whatever equivalent you have there) and just ask your doc to conduct the additional requirements for Airborne school. You won't be obligated to sign anything by simply going to your MEPS and once you talk to the career counselor who would draw up your contract you may have better luck telling them it's an Opt 40 or you walk. If they won't give you exactly what you want, walk away and reevaluate for the next course of action. The Army and Regiment aren't going anywhere. Good luck, never quit.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

I agree with SLEDGE HAMMER. I am pretty sure that it is ear pops and to determine whether or not you are color blind, then if you are color blind to what extent. You need to be able to determine red and green and you would be good to go.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I agree with both SLECGE HAMMER and Grim666. Your Recruiter is not doing his job. I was a Platoon Leader in the 82d ABN DIV, I had a number of fine young Sergeants and troopers from Guam. One day, I was in the Platoon area and a young man showed up. I said who are you and he said, my cousin Sergeant G. (one of my squad leaders) told me to enlist for this unit and I am Benjamin! He had enlisted down to the platoon. Good trooper, I promoted him to SP4 before I left the unit to go to Germany. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”