SITREP - rpmcmurphy

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

SITREP - rpmcmurphy

Post by rpmcmurphy »

Rangers (and other concerned parties):

Since I posted here some time back a few times and received considerable advice and assistance, I feel it would be considerate of me to give an update on how things went for me in OSUT.

First of all, I sadly can't say anything about Airborne or RASP, as I was not offered a chance at either. So I guess the first thing I need to point out for civilians hoping to make it to Batt as an Infantryman without an Option 4 or 40 in their contract and without doing any time in the conventional Army, is that not every Infantry OSUT cycle hands out Airborne or Ranger slots like candy. At least in my company, the only "follow-on training," as our Drill Sergeants called it, was SF for one private (who I believe turned it down when he found out he would have to extend his enlistment) and Sniper School for another private, who would have to drop his Option 40 in order to do so. Don't know what he chose.

My point is, you can go in and keep your nose clean all 14 weeks of OSUT and score a 300 on every APFT and shoot 40/40 and STILL possibly be unlucky enough to not get that RASP slot; some of it really does come down to being at the right place at the right time. YMMV. But to solidfy that, I actually went to the SF liaison toward the end of OSUT. I had become (and am still) interested in that career, for a number of reasons. I never got permission to visit, but I noticed early on that the SF liaison building is directly across the street from sick call... So when a guy from my platoon needed a battle buddy for sick call one morning, I jumped on the opportunity. To my disappointment, despite meeting all the requirements for crossing over to 18X and then some (and, in his words, "liking my style" when he found out how I got there without my Drill Sergeants knowing), my timing was off. According to the liaison, with the Christmas Exodus coming up (I graduated the day before Thanksgiving), the next Airborne class wouldn't start until 2015, and Airborne Holdover was at capacity, so there was nothing he could do for me, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm at Carson now. I won't mention what unit, as I'll be deploying soon... OPSEC and all. I'm making the most of where I'm at. Despite not doing anything close to a "high-speed" unit, I know I can still learn a whole lot from the NCOs here. Definitely trying to get PRK done as soon as possible after the deployment, then likely putting in a packet for RASP (or SFAS or even Civil Affairs; I've found myself drawn to a lot of really exciting opportunities, which I feel is not a bad situation to be in) once I'm eligible again. I'll have a lot of time before then to practice land nav and work on my PT and get some time under a ruck; maybe accomplish some other things I might not be able to in a unit with a higher operational tempo, like complete a master's degree or even make Sergeant. Oh, and Colorado itself is fantastic. Definitely can't complain about being stationed here.

Fortunately, I believe any packet I turn for any of those three careers I mentioned would have a good shot; I have a GT score of 143, a DLAB score of 125, got 12.9 on every section of the TABE 9A, recently passed the SF physical, have a 111111 PULHES, already have a Secret clearance, no criminal background aside from some very minor traffic violations years ago, no medical or moral waivers to get into the Army, never had a profile, a 277 PT score (just need to max those push-ups!), and perhaps most importantly, the stated support of my chain of command to help me advance in my career... after we get through this deployment first.

More important, I realize, is actually getting through something as physically and mentally challenging as RASP or SFAS. I know I'll need to use the next year or two wisely. There's an orienteering club in Colorado Springs I intend to join when I get back from deployment, and there's plenty of space here to throw on a ruck and start walking. Plus the gyms on-base are very nice too.

One question I do have though, if anyone has actually had the patience to read this entire lengthy post, refers to this website: http://www.goarmy.com/ranger/joining-th ... s/faq.html

According to the FAQ, if an Active Duty soldier re-enlists under the CONUS Station of Choice Option, he can additionally ask to come to the 75th Ranger Regiment. It makes it sound like if you get to Batt that route, after successfully making it through Airborne and RASP (and RS for an E-5, I presume), you would be assigned to your chosen Battalion. Does it really work that way, or is it highly likely one could graduate from RASP and discover that his orders are being switched to a different Battalion? My significant other (and myself, but I imagine I'd spend enough time deployed for it to not matter too greatly) would be much more excited to live in Washington state than Georgia, so it would be good to know. Might affect whether I drop a packet as soon as enough time has passed from the PRK surgery, or whether I wait until it's time for me to re-up. To clarify, I'd feel more than privileged to serve in any Ranger Battalion, but if I had the choice...

Thank you, Rangers.

- rpmcmurphy
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - rpmcmurphy

Post by Jim »

rpmcmurphy wrote: According to the FAQ, if an Active Duty soldier re-enlists under the CONUS Station of Choice Option, he can additionally ask to come to the 75th Ranger Regiment. It makes it sound like if you get to Batt that route, after successfully making it through Airborne and RASP (and RS for an E-5, I presume), you would be assigned to your chosen Battalion. Does it really work that way, or is it highly likely one could graduate from RASP and discover that his orders are being switched to a different Battalion? My significant other (and myself, but I imagine I'd spend enough time deployed for it to not matter too greatly) would be much more excited to live in Washington state than Georgia, so it would be good to know. Might affect whether I drop a packet as soon as enough time has passed from the PRK surgery, or whether I wait until it's time for me to re-up. To clarify, I'd feel more than privileged to serve in any Ranger Battalion, but if I had the choice...
You can request your assignment location; but the final decision is based on the needs of the 75th Ranger Regiment.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I would say the organization does a pretty good job of putting people where they want to be, sometimes to a fault. I couldn't imagine going back to where I was from being in this unit and still hanging around with my friends from school. It has given leaders problems and gotten some folks kicked out.

Ranger Jim is correct. Request the installation you want, but don't make any plans to move there until you are complete with RASP. As an 11B, I'd say you have a decent chance of going to the battalion you choose, but you will go to where you are needed.

I hope you understand the difference with Regiment and Group. You sound intelligent, but the missions of the two units is completely different from each other. I scanned some of your other posts... Is your medical stuff in order now? Something else to look into while you are gone if it is not.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

Rangers Jim and Disinfertention,

I appreciate your guidance regarding my question. It's good to know that if I wait until it's time to re-enlist before putting a packet for RASP in, there's a decent chance I could go to my installation of choice; but that it's also not guaranteed in any way. Could definitely affect my decision-making progress down the road.

To be clear, my preference for Ft. Lewis has to do mostly with geography and climate. Basically, my guess is that there are more opportunities for rock climbing, skiing, and mountain biking in Washington state than in Georgia, activities that both my girlfriend and I really enjoy. Plus, I know the idea of living in Washington appeals to her, while living in a state with very little snowfall does not. I don't have any friends or family in Washington, aside from a private I went to OSUT with who was assigned to Ft. Lewis and my girlfriend's dad who lives in Maryland but visits Seattle frequently for business.

But like I said, I'd have no qualms about serving in the Regiment at Ft. Benning or Hunter Army Airfield. Ft. Lewis would just be my first choice, is all.

Ranger Disinfertention, I am aware that there are vast differences between Batt and Group. Although I've read the books, seen the movies, and scoured the forums, I'm still an outsider to both organizations, and in some ways can only guess at what life is like in either camp. I was hesitant to even mention my interest in SF, knowing just how well-received those juvenile "Rangers vs Green Berets: Which is More Badass?" topics are, but figured I should be honest about the fact that I don't exactly know what I'm doing yet.

Frankly, from what I do know about both the 75th Ranger Regiment and Special Forces, they both highly appeal to me, despite (or more likely, because of) their different missions. I know the Regiment is not a "stepping stone" for SF, but I am cognizant of the fact that spending some time in each is not unheard of.

My medical issue was limited to not being able to perform the Valsalva maneuver ("popping" one's ears) during the Airborne physical at MEPS, which I am 99% was because I had a bad cold. I later returned to MEPS and successfully "popped" my ears and passed the Airborne physical, but was never able to get Option 4 or 40 added to my contract. I'd be at Airborne School right now if I had. More than a little frustrating.

As far as my intelligence, I think there are different types of intelligence. I can read and write well and know how to listen critically, but I have to admit that many of my peers pick up from visual and hands-on learning a lot faster than I do. For example, while I've steadily become more competent when it comes to handling the M240 since getting to my unit, I was definitely not the most adept at operating or maintaining that weapon system during OSUT. I just have a steeper learning curve than most when it comes to that sort of thing, so I do my best to get extra practice at whatever it is I need to learn how to do.

Well, I'm rambling again. I appreciate having a place with experienced BTDTs to sound off to, to help keep me from forgetting why I signed up for all this, while also keeping me realistic about what I need to do to reach my goals. Thank you, Rangers.
11B
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

I'll try to keep this more succinct. In hindsight, now that I've been in for more than five minutes (guess I'm up to about ten now...), I'm surprised no one chewed me out for writing short novels on here. But I still have a tendency to write a lot, so we'll see.

Spent eight months at Buehring, went home on emergency leave and missed out on EIB testing, was awarded one ARCOM (comically disproportionate) and one AAM, and got selected for my battalion's sniper section during tryouts.

I've realized one "benefit" of being in an armored brigade, is that it's easier to stand out as an 11B. After all, half the line companies are tank companies. So would I be getting the chance to go to Sniper School this early in my career if I had made it to the 75th right out of OSUT like I wanted? Maybe, maybe not, but I think it's hard to deny that it was easier to get picked for something like this on the conventional side than it would have been in a Ranger Battalion.

To be clear, I'm not saying I'm glad I went to the conventional Army instead of the Regiment. Not at all. Just want to make it clear that I'm making the most of the situation I'm in right now, but am also aware that I'm probably not being held to the same standards I would be with the Rangers.

So I'm obviously not putting in a packet to go anywhere until I at least go to Sniper School (and preferably graduate).

But what I do want to know is if there is anyway I could "walk on" to another school before I leave Benning, preferably Ranger or Airborne. I figured this would be the place to ask. Originally, my leadership wanted to send everyone to Sniper School and then Ranger School right after, but it doesn't sound like that's happening anymore. Does your unit have to put in the paperwork to to go another school, or is possible to work something out while I'm in Georgia?

Thank you for your help, Rangers,

- rpmcmurphy
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rpmcmurphy wrote: But what I do want to know is if there is anyway I could "walk on" to another school before I leave Benning, preferably Ranger or Airborne. I figured this would be the place to ask. Originally, my leadership wanted to send everyone to Sniper School and then Ranger School right after, but it doesn't sound like that's happening anymore. Does your unit have to put in the paperwork to to go another school, or is possible to work something out while I'm in Georgia?
The issue here is funding. If you go TDY to school, your unit must program funds to pay for your TDY. Accordingly, if you complete the Sniper course at Benning, your unit will have to pay for your additional training. Discuss this with your unit training NCO, and explain what you want to accomplish. Hope this will answer your question.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

Roger, Ranger Jim. Your answer definitely helped. I've since spoken with our schools NCO about it, as you suggested, and he's gotten back to me and told me the chain of command will support sending any of us who want to go to the next RS class after Sniper, assuming we graduate Sniper. Definitely excited, got a lot of skills to brush up on over the next several months.
11B
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

At Sniper School now, about to begin the last week. Made it through all the elimination events except the final exam next week, but the course currently uses a "points system" where you have to accumulate 70% of the points available throughout the 7 weeks to graduate. I could go either way with points, which isn't the best feeling. But regardless, I still received a lot of good training here.

I also have an ATRRS reserved slot for Ranger School later this month, and my chain of command is having me stay in Georgia and use the two weeks between schools to prepare. One of the 3rd Batt Rangers in my Sniper class has already offered to help me where he can, which is awesome. Will keep this board updated.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Please keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Recruitment Process”