opt 11x airborne opt 40 With med waiver

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
kp25
Embryo

Re: opt 11x airborne opt 40 With med waiver

Post by kp25 »

So I ended up passing on the contract as advised by many informed people. I have been looking for work for the last hear and have come up dry. I have little experience. I played football until I was 23 and finished my BS while working at various bars. I turn 29 in February and am thinking of just enlisting as an 11x. I won't be able to pass the airborne physical at meps so it is kind of my last shot.

I don't mind doing my time in a conventional unit at all. I have a great desire to serve. I just don't want to Not be able to attend airborne and advance my career to a more highly trained unit because of a knee surgery that no longer hinders me. My runs and PFT scores are competitive.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Kp25
11x opt 40
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Just b/c MEPS doesn't give you an airborne phys, doesn't mean you can't volunteer for airborne or Ranger in OSUT and just get an abn phys done there. The docs in the Army are much more leniant than the docs at MEPS.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

goon175 wrote:Just b/c MEPS doesn't give you an airborne phys, doesn't mean you can't volunteer for airborne or Ranger in OSUT and just get an abn phys done there. The docs in the Army are much more leniant than the docs at MEPS.
X2!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Drewked wrote:
kp25 wrote:I was offered the above contract even with my medical waiver. I had two pretty serious knee surgeries. I was approved to forgo the airborne physical at meps and given an opportunity in the army most said would not happen.

Just letting anybody know who had medical issues that one should never give up on their dreams.

I'm in the same position as you right now, I'm most likely going to switch MEPs and recruiters to try and get lucky. I got a medical waiver for a raw shrimp allergy.. So to me this is just plain silly..
In case you hadn't noticed, that Dep you replied to posted this in 2012. Attention to detail.

In the future keep all correspondence between you and any Deps to PM's, we don't care to see your conversations here between you young men.

Always remember; Newbs should be seen and not heard. There's a reason God gave you 2 eyes, 2 ears, and only 1 mouth.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Recruitment Process”