75th Ranger Regiment Recruiting

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

75th Ranger Regiment Recruiting

Post by Jim »

Try this as a reference to Ranger Recruiting:

https://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75t ... uiting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Martindale
Embryo

Re: 75th Ranger Regiment Recruiting

Post by Martindale »

Thank you for that link Ranger Jim.
Do'ent loss faith!!!!!!!!!!!
The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you.
Dc22x
Future Soldier Mod/ Opt40

Post by Dc22x »

Ranger Jim, For someone who is already active duty do you have any information on the paperwork I would need to start the process of potentially earning my way into Batt?

Thanks,
Damien
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dc22x wrote:Ranger Jim, For someone who is already active duty do you have any information on the paperwork I would need to start the process of potentially earning my way into Batt?

Thanks,
Damien
Please provide a SITREP and give us your current location and status.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Dc22x

Post by Dc22x »

Ranger Jim,

Quick sitrep, my army career so far has been a strange one. I initially enlisted with an option 40 in 2011. During the first two weeks of OSUT my father passed away and had to go home to handle all of his affairs which led to me receiving a discharge under the ELS clause. A year later when I had the affairs in order I went to re enlist and somehow they considered me "Prior Service" therefore the only option available to me was 18x. I signed the contract with hopes of being able to drop it and pick up a Ranger contract at basic. I made my intentions known to my DS and he said it would be no problem. I dropped my 18x contract and was never able to receive an option 40. In hindsight I should have at least waited to airborne to attempt to swap them out. There's nothing in this world I want more than being in Battalion. Right now I'm at Ft. Lewis with the 2nd Infantry Division. Took a pt test two weeks ago my score was a 285
PU-72
SU- 76
2 mile- 13:50

Not my best score as I routinely score a 300. I'm not sure about the process of going from another unit to Batt and I assume it's a lot more difficult then just enlisting with an option 40. My brigade is slated to deactivate next year, so getting a release and a volunteer for an assignment shouldn't be an issue.

Damien
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Good to hear from you again young Padawan. Ranger Jim would probably know more about this than I, but it would seam that your question would be best answered over at 2nd Battalion Headquarters. Try to get a little time off from your unit and go over and talk to the guys who should know.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Dc22x

Post by Dc22x »

Slowpoke wrote:Good to hear from you again young Padawan. Ranger Jim would probably know more about this than I, but it would seam that your question would be best answered over at 2nd Battalion Headquarters. Try to get a little time off from your unit and go over and talk to the guys who should know.
Ranger Slowpoke,

Good hearing from you as well, how have you been? I could certainly find the time to go to 2nd Battalion Headquarters. I'm not sure if it is in a portion of the complex that is gated in or not I'll drive by and take a look. I just didn't want to leisurely stroll in and give off a bad vibe to any Rangers. Maybe if I show up enough they will see how dedicated and how bad I want the opportunity to wear the scroll. I emailed the recruiter in the link provided but have yet to receive a response.

Damien
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dc22x wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:Good to hear from you again young Padawan. Ranger Jim would probably know more about this than I, but it would seam that your question would be best answered over at 2nd Battalion Headquarters. Try to get a little time off from your unit and go over and talk to the guys who should know.
Ranger Slowpoke,

Good hearing from you as well, how have you been? I could certainly find the time to go to 2nd Battalion Headquarters. I'm not sure if it is in a portion of the complex that is gated in or not I'll drive by and take a look. I just didn't want to leisurely stroll in and give off a bad vibe to any Rangers. Maybe if I show up enough they will see how dedicated and how bad I want the opportunity to wear the scroll. I emailed the recruiter in the link provided but have yet to receive a response.

Damien
Certainly sounds like a reasonable approach.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Dc22x

Post by Dc22x »

Quick Sitrep, Finally got in touch with the Ranger recruiter. My first task is to send a copy of my ERB to make sure I meet the initial qualifications gt score, no flags etc. After that is reviewed I'll be sent an application to fill out. I'm going to go to S1 this week to update my ERB with my current schools and get it up to date before sending it out. In the meantime I'm going to continue to pt my ass off and study the Ranger handbook. Thank you to all the Rangers on this site for your continued assistance and knowledge.

Damien
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dc22x wrote:Quick Sitrep, Finally got in touch with the Ranger recruiter. My first task is to send a copy of my ERB to make sure I meet the initial qualifications gt score, no flags etc. After that is reviewed I'll be sent an application to fill out. I'm going to go to S1 this week to update my ERB with my current schools and get it up to date before sending it out. In the meantime I'm going to continue to pt my ass off and study the Ranger handbook. Thank you to all the Rangers on this site for your continued assistance and knowledge.

Damien
Excellent! You are taking care of yourself. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
j_setzler
Embryo

Post by j_setzler »

Ranger Jim, I have already informed my team chief as well as my Platoon SGT that I would like to send in a packet for going Rangers sometime close to the end of deployment (leaving early May). Due to my latest pt score being a 218 (very embarrassing, before that was a 260) they both informed me that if I make a 270 and maintain it all the way through deployment then they'll send it in. However, I read on the link you posted for AD personnel to send a copy of our ERB to the email given and the recruiter would follow up with me from there. My question is if I were to go ahead and get started that way (after I raise my pt score, of course) would that violate any chain of command policies? I have tried looking for AR's regarding that but have had no luck. I did find one stating soldiers may apply for duty or assignment without regard to current assignment, Rangers being 1 of those 7 assignments. It also states OCONUS soldiers may submit their application no less than 5 months prior to DEROS. Would you happen to have any helpful information to give?
luckylee
Soldier

Post by luckylee »

Ranger Jim, or any others that may know the answer.

I have a solid family care plan that I will be relying on during my ABN/RASP 2 period and later on in my time with the Regiment. I'm hoping that being a single father won't DQ me from being invited to attend RASP 2. My daughter's mom isn't really in the picture and for good reason. I have full custody and she is allowed visitation but my parents in Texas are who I have as my family care plan. Anyway, I submitted my complete packet to my recruiter (20160225) and he was able to submit it to a board that was occurring while I was on the phone with him and he was looking over my packet.

I received an email Monday (20160229) stating that it did make it into the board for consideration. This brings me back to my first point, I'll be utilizing my family care plan, provided I am not DQ'd. What is an approximate timeline for the process. (beginning with getting boarded, to obtaining orders from here to ABN School/RASP 2) Just trying to gather information that I can pass on to my family. I realize that it's more than likely on a board to board basis due to the amount of applicants, needs of the Regiment and a long list of other considerations, but any approximate timeline would be very useful.

Thank ya'll for your time.

Joshua
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

luckylee wrote:Ranger Jim, or any others that may know the answer.

I have a solid family care plan that I will be relying on during my ABN/RASP 2 period and later on in my time with the Regiment. I'm hoping that being a single father won't DQ me from being invited to attend RASP 2. My daughter's mom isn't really in the picture and for good reason. I have full custody and she is allowed visitation but my parents in Texas are who I have as my family care plan. Anyway, I submitted my complete packet to my recruiter (20160225) and he was able to submit it to a board that was occurring while I was on the phone with him and he was looking over my packet.

I received an email Monday (20160229) stating that it did make it into the board for consideration. This brings me back to my first point, I'll be utilizing my family care plan, provided I am not DQ'd. What is an approximate timeline for the process. (beginning with getting boarded, to obtaining orders from here to ABN School/RASP 2) Just trying to gather information that I can pass on to my family. I realize that it's more than likely on a board to board basis due to the amount of applicants, needs of the Regiment and a long list of other considerations, but any approximate timeline would be very useful.

Thank ya'll for your time.

Joshua
Talk to your chain of command. They should answer this question.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Recruitment Process”