**UPDATE** USAREC Opt. 40 contracts (As Of 12/06/2018)

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Current USAREC message on Opt. 40 contracts

Post by K.Ingraham »

Dan24 wrote: I was under the impression that this site in no way advocated enlisting with anything other than an Option 40?
Indeed we were, but realities change. The Opt.40s will be few and are getting fewer. Regiment learned that Opt.40 was not providing the numbers needed, but good trainee soldiers with potential, when made aware of what the 75th has to offer, are willing to give it a shot and they are already proven quantities and have had a good rate of success at RASP.
If you can get an Opt.40, moer power to you, but be prepared to have to earn it in service. The PS restriction defies common sense, but that's not something that much applies to money at the federal level :roll:

Goon has offered a good suggestion; give SF a good look. It might be a better fit for an experienced and more mature soldier anyway.

Best of luck to you.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Ranger Goon, do you see them disbanding the Option 40 or is this just a valley in the cyclical nature of recruiting? I ask because I'm approaching the window where I can enter the DEP.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

Mentee to Ranger Invictus
B Co 3/75
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

No I don't see them doing away with the opt. 40, but I wish they would. Or atleast change the way they are handed out, because right now its basically based on your GT score and luck/right place right time.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

goon175 wrote:No I don't see them doing away with the opt. 40, but I wish they would. Or atleast change the way they are handed out, because right now its basically based on your GT score and luck/right place right time.
Roger Ranger Goon.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

B Co 3/75
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I would just like to provide a general update to all interested on what I have been seeing on availability of Opt. 40's:

- About once a month for a max. of 48-72 hours (time it takes for them all to be taken), there is an abundance of opt. 40's for 11x and 13F.
- On a more regular basis, I see support MOS's coming with an Opt. 40 (92Y, 92G, etc.)
- guys who do not have a 107 GT score will not be able to get an opt. 40, however, I know the Regimental Recruiters have been giving guys exceptions down at OSUT/BAC.
- If you have your heart set on a specific MOS that you want an opt. 40 attached to, it may not happen. I will take 68W for example. your best bet very well may be to apply in AIT. You have to remember that the opt. 40 is an incentive, viewed in the recruiting world the same way bonus's or other perks are. So they attach the opt. 40 to MOS's they need filled or are hard to fill. That's why I see so many support MOS's come with Opt. 40.

For the record, I don't agree with the opt. 40 contract being a "perk" that pops up randomly to entice 17 year olds that know nothing more than Call of Duty. Not the best or most efficient way to get the right guys going to the right places. I really do believe we need to look at how the other services dole out there SOF - type contracts, as they all have a better system then we do.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

NEWEST USAREC MESSAGE ON OPT. 40 CONTRACTS:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
201600 July 2011 (EST) USAREC MESSAGE 11-196
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
To: All Recruiting Personnel

SUBJECT: Recruiting for U.S. Army Ranger 40 Option (Updated)

1. This is an immediate message; Deliver to all recruiting personnel
immediately.

2. This message is valid for 2 years from date of publication or until
rescinded or superseded.

3. References:

a. Memorandum from Department of the Army, Ranger Assessment and Selection
Program Level 1 (RASP 1) Program of Instruction (POI), dated 15 February 2011.

b. USAREC Message 10-139, Recruiting for U.S. Army Ranger 40 Option
(Updated), dated 24 May 2010. (Rescinded)

4. The purpose of this message is to announce name change of Ranger Assessment
and Selection Program (RASP), U.S. Army Ranger from the Ranger Indoctrination
Program (RIP).

5. The following prerequisites/qualifications must be met:

a. AFQT Score of 50 or higher with a 107 GT Score for all applicants
(non-waiverable)

b. Must be a US Citizen (non-waiverable)

c. Must be able to obtain/maintain a SECRET Security Clearance
(non-waiverable)

d. No conduct waivers (drug or criminal history)

e. Physical profile of 111221

f. PT Score of 240 or above (no less than 80 points in each event upon
completion of AIT) and 6 chin ups.

6. Guidance Counselors will ensure all potential applicants for 40 Option are
aware of this message and the requirements to be a U.S. Army Ranger.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Any age limit? Oh, never mind, HH6 probably wouldn't let me. Carry on!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Haha, no age limit for a Ranger contract, but the over all age limite was lowered from 42 to 35 recently.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

goon175 wrote:Haha, no age limit for a Ranger contract, but the over all age limite was lowered from 42 to 35 recently.
Well that shows how much they know!!!! I'll just go take a nap. :wink:
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
S0LiD SN4KE
Tadpole

Post by S0LiD SN4KE »

Rangers my AFQT was a 60 but my GT was 101. RangerGoon175 you said a ranger recruiter could still get me with exceptions, in your opinion do you think I still have a chance to get it at OSUT? I ship out April 24th, if that helps.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

the worst they can say is "no"
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
S0LiD SN4KE
Tadpole

Post by S0LiD SN4KE »

Thank you for answering my question, RangerGoon175. I will work as hard as i can at OSUT to prove myself to get it on my contract.
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

I was checking my ATRRS training schedule, my OSUT and ABN dates are on there but my RASP date isn't. My contract states I have Option 40 reserved and my first unit assignment is RGV4 so is this just a minor issue or do I need to ask my recruiter because there is something bigger at work here?

B Co 3/75
TexGrizzly
Embryo

Post by TexGrizzly »

Edgerusher71 wrote:I was checking my ATRRS training schedule, my OSUT and ABN dates are on there but my RASP date isn't. My contract states I have Option 40 reserved and my first unit assignment is RGV4 so is this just a minor issue or do I need to ask my recruiter because there is something bigger at work here?
That's normal. My contract says the same thing.
11B. 3rd Squadron/2nd Cav. Regiment Aug. 2012-Present

Return to “Recruitment Process”