No OPT 40's available? Here's how to respond.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Invictus
Ranger

No OPT 40's available? Here's how to respond.

Post by Invictus »

BULLSHIT.

Plain and simple.

I've seen too many of these type posts/questions lately, so I thought I would address it here definitively.
There might not be any THAT DAY, because they've all been snatched up.

If you are in some kind of situation where you cannot wait and must join the army, with or without an OPT 40, then by all means do what ya gotta do. But don't come on here and ask us for our opinion. We will always tell you to stick to your guns, and don't compromise.

You might read this 24 months from when it's posted, and wonder, "how can this dude possible know this?" or "maybe this still doesn't apply". It does. If you're not sure, do some google searching for 75th Ranger Regiment RASP contact phone number and ask them if they're still hiring. Better yet, call them with your recruiter standing there when he says there's nothing available.

Unless you live in Mayberry RFD, then there are usually quite a few recruiting stations in your AO. If you don't get a warm fuzzy working with one, or want a second opinion, then by all means, search it out. This is probably the biggest decision you will make with your young life...why settle?

Just as an FYI since I've seen a lot of this question lately also: YES, it is possible to volunteer for RASP in Airborne school, but that's a big roll of the dice because it's dependent entirely on if they need additional heads for an upcoming class. It can also be MOS specific.
I would never encourage someone to go this route, since you have no control over your destiny.

One of the resounding tenants of Rangering is to never compromise, never settle for less. That mentality needs to begin NOW, with this, your most important decision.

Make your own luck gents.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Re: No OPT 40's available? Here's how to respond.

Post by NeverSayDie »

Thank you Ranger Invictus. I'm going to use that phone call tactic shamelessly when the time arises. Any Rangers here in the aforementioned position willing take the call? (there have have been numerous examples on this site of what happens to cherries who intrude onto a Ranger AO without anouncing themselves...)
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

What Ranger Invictus says is completely true. When I joined, there were no Ranger contracts available (so the recruiter said). I just asked the simple question, "When will one be available?" I was in the Delayed Entry Program for 11 months waiting for my slot to show up. But I got it.

*Edited to make this a sticky*
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Bravo57 wrote: I just asked the simple question, "When will one be available?" I was in the Delayed Entry Program for 11 months waiting for my slot to show up. But I got it.

*Edited to make this a sticky*
Same here.

If you have to be a DEP for a year, so be it.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
blindside622
Future Soldier

Post by blindside622 »

Thankyou Ranger Invictus and Ranger Bravo for the words of wisdom. I do not have an option 40 like many others. I cant sit around anymore and leave my fate to a Recruiter who cares for nothing more than meeting a quota. I want to go to MEPS and jump on my counselor's desk everday to fight for a slot. Now here is my question. If the MEPS station I go to is located on a milatary base can I go there without a recruiter or an arrangement. I would ask my recruiter this question but i know exactly what her answer would be. "There are not slots right now, we will call you when one opens." Thankyou Gents.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

blindside622 wrote:Thankyou Ranger Invictus and Ranger Bravo for the words of wisdom. I do not have an option 40 like many others. I cant sit around anymore and leave my fate to a Recruiter who cares for nothing more than meeting a quota. I want to go to MEPS and jump on my counselor's desk everday to fight for a slot. Now here is my question. If the MEPS station I go to is located on a milatary base can I go there without a recruiter or an arrangement. I would ask my recruiter this question but i know exactly what her answer would be. "There are not slots right now, we will call you when one opens." Thankyou Gents.

So you want to show up at MEPS sans recruiter?

Not sure how that would fly. Would encourage you to seek out a different recruiter.....as previously stated above.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

blindside622 wrote:Thankyou Ranger Invictus and Ranger Bravo for the words of wisdom. I do not have an option 40 like many others. I cant sit around anymore and leave my fate to a Recruiter who cares for nothing more than meeting a quota. I want to go to MEPS and jump on my counselor's desk everday to fight for a slot. Now here is my question. If the MEPS station I go to is located on a milatary base can I go there without a recruiter or an arrangement. I would ask my recruiter this question but i know exactly what her answer would be. "There are not slots right now, we will call you when one opens." Thankyou Gents.
Likely a good way to get arrested. the recruiters are your gateway to MEPS. They do a lot of legwork that you are not privvy to before you ever go through the door. To reinforce, if you aren't satisfied, go to another recruiter.

If you recruiter has said to you they will call when a slot opens, you are lucky. Most Future Soldiers get cajoled to take whatever is available to meet the quota. You need to develop some patience. Hell, 20 odd years ago, I had to wait nearly 11 months for my chance.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

And if you say "Thank you gents" again, I'm going to heart punch you. Attention to detail stud.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
blindside622
Future Soldier

Post by blindside622 »

Thankyou Rangers for the advice. SITREP is I got a call from someone at the Future Soldier Center earlier today and I told him my situation. The man said I could go to the base with a drivers liscense and proof of vehichle insurance and get a day pass from the Ft. Gillem welcome center. He claimed to be a 18x recruiter. He said if he were me I should be at MEPS every day bugging the hell out of my counselor. I want to do this without pissing anyone off. He did say I did not have to go with my recruiter. Do some MEPS operate differently? Roger that Ranger Bravo57. It wont happen again. Thankyou Rangers again. I will NEVER QUIT on my dreams!
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Post by oneday_I_will »

Ranger Bravo57 said..."And if you say "Thank you gents" again, I'm going to heart punch you".

Ranger Bravo57...classic....I haven't heard that since Afghanistan from a former Ranger. Back in my lane and 50 push ups complete.
Company C/5th Battalion/19th SF Group (NQP) 2010-
309th FS Homestead AFB 90-92
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
65th Air Wing Lajes Fld. 95-96
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

"I will conquer my fears and succeed".
U.S. Special Forces Creed
jrgong
Embryo

Post by jrgong »

Went to the recruiters office last week to take the practice ASVAB, I got the "no Ranger contracts available." I smiled. Thanks.
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

* chortle *

I walked into the recruiter's office and told him that I wanted to be Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, Sniper, and to be stationed at Ft. Lewis.

I though he would shit himself on the spot, but he didn't. He told me I could get everything in the contract except for the sniper part, but he assured me they had snipers out there... I would have to get that piece on my own. Also, if you sign on for an extra year, I can give you a $2,500 cash bonus...

I was doing handsprings for joy, because I was going to be rich. I had to wait 11 months in the DEP, but I got all that I wanted, in writing.

Then about halfway through Basic Training I started to hear about these two Ranger Battalions, and one of them being at Ft. Lewis :shock:
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

One thing to consider is the date a post is made or thread is opened. The above is two years old - it was good at the time - the army has since made the decision to seek most potential Rangers from the already proven in uniform.
Recent posts do indeed tell a new story - initial entry volunteers for the RR come from the top 10-20% of their basic/AIT/OSUT classes. If you lack the confidence to meet that standard, then you probably lack the confidence to succeed in the Regiment's selection process.

The army makes slots available to meets its needs and not recruit's desires. Opt40 slots are made relatively readily available for support MOSs to encourage more enlistments army-wide. There is no need to open up many Opt40 infantry slots simply because there are plenty of prospects already in the army who are proven commodities - either from other units or trainees who have demonstrated high potential.

Competition is high, enabling Regiment to selec the cream of the crop.

Risk asessment and willingness to accept risk is fundimental to Rangers. Your first assessment is whether or not four years is a worthy trade-off for the chance to become one of the most select group of American warriors.
Last edited by K.Ingraham on February 8th, 2012, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “Recruitment Process”