Option 40 and the Prior Service Soldier.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Equalizer
US Army Veteran

Option 40 and the Prior Service Soldier.

Post by Equalizer »

Well I got my option 40. I'm prior service Army, 30 years old, been out for 6 years. Look it's not impossible, just very difficult.

It took 4 trips to MEPS, even the MEPS 1st SGT knew my name there, and 2 recruiting stations, hell I even talked to a recruiter in Utah and I'm in California. I gave my recruiter 4 jobs I'd be willing to do (no particular order) 21M Firefighter, 35M HUMINT, 11X Option 40, 18X. Then I told him over and over again "I'm not gonna waste your time here, I'll join if I can get one of these jobs, and one of these jobs ONLY. I am not interested in anything else." Then I told that to the 1st SGT of my recruiter.

It'll take a lot patience on your part, a lot of determination and motivation (a lot like RIP). Your recruiter, and the Career Counselor especially at MEPS will tell you "no you can't have opt. 40, it's not open to PS (prior service) right now, but we do have this........" , which would be something you don't want like truck driver, or cook :lol: This is what they offered me, I literally laughed out loud , then my laughing stopped for a moment when the counselor said he'd retired as a CSM 25 years in the Army 20 of them in the kitchen! :oops:

Anyway that's probably true, it's probably NOT open to PS right now, key word there is "right now", because that doesn't mean it wont be open tomorrow. Everything at MEPS and I mean everything changes just about daily.

Now the major problem you'll run into is the counselors won't want to deal with you anymore. They want the kids that are joining right away, they'll straight up tell you to leave, they did to me twice, so you know what I did..........I left! Then I called my recruiter and he asks in a very fake excited voice "so did you join?" I replied with a chuckle "no, they offered me truck driver, cook, and some other crap" he says "so why didn't you take it" and that's why you need to tell your recruiter up front what you're willing to take and nothing else, so I was able to respond with " I told you from the beginning what I'm willing to do".

Then he got TOP on the line and I was able to tell him the same thing. Now my 1st SGT was a stud when it came to wheeling and dealing, if anyone is in the Los Angeles, or Orange County area PM me and I can put you in contact with them.

That was the 1st time I went to MEPS, the next time I went it was the same 'ol story with the counselor, then the 1st SGT gets on the phone and I tell him " you know what I'm willing to do so......." then I had a thought so I strategically gave TOP the jobs I wanted in a particular order this time 21M, because I knew there was no way, 35M and 11X opt.40 either or I said , because it really was a toss up then 18X last, because I figured they'll try to give me something other than my LAST choice.

I've come to notice usually the Army gives you your second pick, so make that your real first pick. SO MEPS says cook and some other stuff, and TOP says 68W Option 40 !!!! I just heard option 40. But I don't want to be a 68W so I told him " you're almost there TOP, just make it 11X", but I knew then it was possible. I ended up leaving again.

So fast forward 2 more times and today's the day!! I have the counselor sitting in front of me, my recruiter standing next to me on the phone with his 1st SGT. The counselor says "what do you want" I gave that same order of jobs, she gets on the phone................ low and behold she circles 11X OPTION 40 !!!! She was the 4th counselor I'd spoken to in this 2 month period.

I had everyone and i mean everyone pissed at by this time. TOP had told me the day before if I didn't pick something, anything cook, driver, stripper whatever 8) he wasn't gonna deal with me anymore, last chance he said. She (the counselor) hung up the phone and told me that that was the only job I was able to pick that day! There weren't other options for me.

Now I don't know if it was the 1st SGT who did something I tend to think so, I didn't ask, I didn't care. The other counselors even came around and said they'd not seen that happen in a very long time, a few even said they'd never seen it. So moral of the story, it's your life you're dealing with you're the one that has to do the job when you ship, they get to stay there and keep treating prior service soldiers like second class citizens, but you still have to do your job. So be selfish, don't be flexible you wont be doing the Army or yourself any good stuck in a job you don't want.

This whole ordeal took many times a week every week of arguing being called names, visiting the recruiting office, meeting with the 1st SGT, phone calls, my cell phone bill was HUGE !!!! But if that's what it takes then Drive on !!!!!!
Somewhere someone is training to kill you. He trains with minimal food and water, in austere conditions. The only thing clean on him is his weapon, and he made his gear. His ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when you stop chasing him. He is not concerned about how hard it is he knows either he wins, or dies. He doesn't go home, he is home.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Option 40 and the Prior Service Soldier.

Post by Earthpig »

Outfuckingstanding!

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
That Guy
Ranger

Post by That Guy »

Good job man, that's great that you stuck with it and got what you wanted.

Curious though, I'm interested in how much the Army is giving bonuses out for these days, and also how long are you going to have to wait before being shipped. If you are uncomfortable throwing it out here you can PM me or just say nada at all.

1nce again, good shit man.
1/75 C Co
2004-2006

Hard times don't last, but hard men do.
Equalizer
US Army Veteran

Post by Equalizer »

That Guy wrote:Good job man, that's great that you stuck with it and got what you wanted.

Curious though, I'm interested in how much the Army is giving bonuses out for these days, and also how long are you going to have to wait before being shipped. If you are uncomfortable throwing it out here you can PM me or just say nada at all.

Big F'n zero for bonus, kinda sucks but the job is more important to me, I ship to WTC June 15th.
Somewhere someone is training to kill you. He trains with minimal food and water, in austere conditions. The only thing clean on him is his weapon, and he made his gear. His ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when you stop chasing him. He is not concerned about how hard it is he knows either he wins, or dies. He doesn't go home, he is home.
That Guy
Ranger

Post by That Guy »

Equalizer wrote:
That Guy wrote:Good job man, that's great that you stuck with it and got what you wanted.

Big F'n zero for bonus, kinda sucks but the job is more important to me, I ship to WTC June 15th.

I hear that, but good that you care about the job. How long are you signed up for? Are they still adding all your OSUT, Airborne, and RIP to the contract? example a 3 year contract

6 months of training=Contract of 3years 24 weeks
1/75 C Co
2004-2006

Equalizer
US Army Veteran

Post by Equalizer »

That Guy wrote:
Equalizer wrote:

I hear that, but good that you care about the job. How long are you signed up for? Are they still adding all your OSUT, Airborne, and RIP to the contract? example a 3 year contract

6 months of training=Contract of 3years 24 weeks
I signed for 4 years 18weeks. Not sure were the 18 weeks came from. I go to WTC for 5 weeks, then OSUT AIT at Benning for 7 weeks, then it gets a little confusing because normally you would go to Airborne then RIP but I'm already Airborne qualified so were not to sure how that's gonna work, guess I'll find out at AIT. Anyway then the 3 weeks of RIP. By the way I see now it says RIP is 4 weeks, I thought a while ago when I was in it was only 3 weeks, what is that extra week?
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Thanks for taking the time to write this, and again, congratulations.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Equalizer wrote: Big F'n zero for bonus, kinda sucks but the job is more important to me, I ship to WTC June 15th.
I bet there aren't five Rangers on this entire site who got a bonus. I know I didn't. It never even crossed my mind. If someone is joining the service to get rich, they're nuts. That's about like becoming a school teacher to get rich. There's no such thing.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
That Guy
Ranger

Post by That Guy »

6 months of training=Contract of 3years 24 weeks[/quote]
I signed for 4 years 18weeks. Not sure were the 18 weeks came from. I go to WTC for 5 weeks, then OSUT AIT at Benning for 7 weeks, then it gets a little confusing because normally you would go to Airborne then RIP but I'm already Airborne qualified so were not to sure how that's gonna work, guess I'll find out at AIT. Anyway then the 3 weeks of RIP. By the way I see now it says RIP is 4 weeks, I thought a while ago when I was in it was only 3 weeks, what is that extra week?[/quote]

If it is still the same, it is 4 weeks, and you graduate on the last day of the 3rd week. Always wondered why they do it that way.
1/75 C Co
2004-2006

RichB
USAF Veteran

Post by RichB »

Rangers,

and those trying to get option 40. I am another Prior Service, that landed option 40. here is how it unfolded for me.

Equalizer congrats!!!!!

I will try to keep it brief and to the point:

I spent about 4 months soul searching and contemplating whether to reenlist (USAF Prior service) or not? However, I was a 100% certain about two things: 1. if I was going to serve this great nation once again, I wanted to serve among the very best, the most elite, and without question some the fittest soldiers in the army! 2. That left only two jobs to chose from in my mind. 11X option 40 or 13F option 40.

I did my research and from what I could gather at the time prior service was not able to get the option 40? So, I had an alternative plan. get 11X or 13F option 4 and try to volunteer for RIP while at Airborne school. Risky yes?

I had to make 4 trips to MEPS because no one had their shit together there and they were always misplacing paper work, scheduling me for stuff I didn't need, etc..

However, when I finally sat down with the counselor he said if I could give you the job you wanted today would you enlist? I said yes. 13F option 4!! He said not available! I said 11x option 4 but it would be nice to have an option 40. He said option 40 is RIP. I said I know, that's what I want and I am prepared for it. He said let me call USAREC. I said I appreciate it but one final thing, please tell them that I am a highly motivated individual, ready to enlist today, providing I get what I want!! But, I will not settle for anything less then what I requested. If the job is available, then it was meant to be--if not then I will continue with my line of work but I will not be coming back.

He called relayed the information to them regarding my determination to get this job and they told him to give it to me. Apparently, they will give prior service an option 40 contract but you need to want it and you need to be prepared to walk away if it is not available!!

Listen, if you want the option 40, you didn't just wake up one day and say to yourself I want to be a Ranger. It is something you researched, and took the time to figure out!! Don't stroll into MEPS and settle for anything less because that's what you'll end up with less!!

Be PERSISTENT!!!!

Consistency and persistence has always been the key to my success!!!

I hope this helps someone from settling for less!!!!

I look forward to the day I can call myself a US Army Ranger.

Cheers
Ship date 20090902
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

EarthPig wrote:
Equalizer wrote: Big F'n zero for bonus, kinda sucks but the job is more important to me, I ship to WTC June 15th.
I bet there aren't five Rangers on this entire site who got a bonus. I know I didn't. It never even crossed my mind. If someone is joining the service to get rich, they're nuts. That's about like becoming a school teacher to get rich. There's no such thing.

RLTW
EP
I got a bonus. One of these....

C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RichB
USAF Veteran

Post by RichB »

RangerX wrote:
EarthPig wrote:

RLTW
EP
I got a bonus. One of these....

RangerX,

Need I say that you are a 100% correct! The bonus for me was getting the option 40. The real bonus is when you become a Ranger for life. Uncle Sam, could keep his bonus...
Ship date 20090902
Antuan
US Navy Veteran

Post by Antuan »

Very good information... Thank you for sharing your experience.
colin1
USAF

Post by colin1 »

Hello Rangers, I know this post was started a couple of months ago but I didn't feel right beginning a separate thread about the same subject. I was wondering if anything has changed recently regarding prior service members being able to get an option 40 on their contract? I have read the posts telling everyone to stick to their guns which is great advice but I was just curious if there has been any changes to the regs? I separate from the Air Force next spring and want to join the Army as a 68W with an option 40. Is the Army more likely to be lienent with certain MOS's and prior service members joining? I wrote an earlier post asking a similar question about common MOS's being selected with an option 40 and was told: infantry, FO and medic were three that will always be available. Does this have any sort predence with me being prior service? Thank you very much in advance.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

Return to “Recruitment Process”