Ranger School in the National Guard

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
MSchrute95
Embryo

Re: Ranger School in the National Guard

Post by MSchrute95 »

Ranger Disinfertention and Ranger Vossman,

Thank you both for the replies. Initially, I wanted to speak with the unit's readiness NCO because as Ranger Vossman said, it would be the best way to learn the OPTEMPO of the unit and when they expect to deploy next according to their schedule. I spoke with the recruiter and he told me while he normally doesnt bring people up to see the unit until after they've signed, he'd see what he could do their next drill weekend.

Ranger Disinfertention, certainly my main focus right now is to join the Guard and serve and from there focus on how to get a seat to School. When I first spoke with the recruiter he told me I wouldn't be able to get Ranger School on my first 3 year enlistment anyway and should either sign for 6 or I'd have to re-up later if I wanted to go (not sure how much of that was a selling point to get me to sign for 6).

I was most interested in the visit to ask about their deployment schedule and when their next opportunity would be since the inception of ARNG 4.0 which is giving more Guard soldiers more training time, school opportunities, and chances to deploy. I brought this up to the recruiter and he told me a surprising answer that C co has no deployments planned as of yet and probably will not for a while due to the unit association program effevtively making them a part of the 173rd until 2020. Definitely surprising to hear but I appreciated the candidness.

Thank you both again for the great advice! I appreciate the time you take to help me out.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

MSchrute95, You have been getting great advice from Rangers Dis and Vossman. Looks like the ball is in your court. Contact your recruiter and let him do his job. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

C Co, 1-143 was probably the local LRS unit back when. I was in G/143 LRS in Texas '89-92. they have a lineage I'm guessing of being the most professional guard guys in your area. up to active duty standards, and with a lot of depth of experience from active guys who went there later.

this is a generalized statement based on experience that old, because I went active in '92. it will literally take a few years of you learning the job and proving yourself to be seriously considered for Ranger School. then you have to get the timing right with your life and a school slot, if it's offered. don't take a 6 year enlistment if you don't want it. you can always re-up in 3-4. you can't back out of a 6 without consequence.

if you're even considering going active, don't go Guard. leaving the guard to active gives you zero leverage with active recruiters. you're likely signing up with no options but what they give you. you're already in the system and they don't have to entice you, so you'll be their lowest priority. that's the way the Army runs it, not the dudes at MEPS writing your contract.

I know people in the 143rd in TX. they're busy. 173rd is throwing money at them they wouldn't otherwise get. they're pulling a lot of 3-4 day drills (MUDA 6-8)s.

as far as deployments go... can't speak to that. the GWOT ain't over despite what the media covers, because the bad guys get a vote. they haven't quit yet. historically, we've been in a fight every 10 years since the 40s. will you get to play in each one? no. I sat for Panama, sat for Desert Storm (when every single other TX guard unit at least got activated), went to Somalia, almost jumped into Haiti, almost made another trip I know of but wasn't publicized, maybe more near misses we didn't know were on the books... went to Iraq, but not Afghanistan.... retired in '15.

want to get to Ranger school quickly-ish, go active to the Ranger Regiment. want to go within a few years? go active infantry and excel. excel in the guard and you may get a chance to go after several years.

want to go to a fight? go active into special ops, or conventional infantry and you'll get there eventually if it's big/long enough fight.

want to wreck your personal life when everything's humming along nicely to do a school or combat? join the guard.

just make an informed choice.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
MSchrute95
Embryo

Post by MSchrute95 »

Ranger Vossman,

Understood, after the holidays my recruiter and I sat down and had another talk about my seriousness before he sets up a visit to the unit. Again, he was candid that I most likely would not see a Ranger School slot without re-upping my initial 3 year enlistment. He did tell me though that entering as an E4 would certainly help and if I were able to stand out and be placed in a leadership position, perhaps I could extend for a year and the unit would send me. Another extremely interesting piece of information he told me is that the unit may have picked up a deployment overseas for next year from another Guard unit. That would be great and this is all information I would like to politely bring up to the readiness NCO during a visit but again, my initial focus right now remains simply entering the military.

Ranger KW Driver,

Yes, to my knowledge C co 1-143 was previously a LRS unit until the Army began to do away with all of LRS recently. I am definitely hearing that the unit is unlike most Guard units as 1-143 has a lot of MUTA 6 and 8s, gets some great training schools, and has been doing AT with the 173rd in the Summer.

I am going to take the advice I keep getting and only sign for 3 initially with the possibility of extending for a year before committing to another 3 year reenlistment.

For deployments, I was initially told that since the unit's last activation and trip to Afghanistan was in February 2012, traditionally they should be up for something soon as 2017 would have been their "ready year" in the old ARFORGEN 5 year cycle. However, the Guard is apparently phasing out ARFORGEN. Notably, the recruiter did give me some new information that the unit may have a deployment next year since they supposedly scooped up the deployment from another Guard unit that was supposed to go.

As far as Ranger School, thank you for being frank that in the Guard it would take several years to go. I had been hearing that a lot yet from research I also see that 1-143 gets a lot of slots to go due to their Airborne status. While it would be great to get the opportunity to go in 3 or 4 years, I understand that the unit wants to see a good return on investment and that there is most likely guys who have been there significantly longer who are waiting for a slot as well.

Thank you very much for weighing in with your experiences though, I really do appreciate it because you have given me a lot to think about and reflect on!

Thank you all again Rangers, this board has been tremendously helpful.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Sounds like you are becoming quite well informed on the topic. Have you adjusted your goals at all from when you initially got here based on what you know now?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

the other option once you're in the Guard, is to get an AGR slot and be a full time guard bum. that generally makes a side gig more difficult, but plenty of people make a living at it as an AGR or tech (aviation, and/ or maintenance) with guard drills on the weekends. Aviation AGR/tech life is the best kept secret in the Army.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
MSchrute95
Embryo

Post by MSchrute95 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

The only adjustments I've made as I've learned more and read through the forums is that I need to worry less about my long term goal and more about enlisting and then becoming the best basic infantry paratrooper I can be. From there, regardless of the needed time commitment, I can set the more immediate goal of attending Ranger School and earning the Tab.

Ranger KW Driver,

I wasn't aware there were full time Guard positions, thank you I will have to look into that when the time comes.

Ranger Vossman,

Thank you very much, a common theme I've seen drilled into young men on this board is the importance of attention to detail and that is something I try to always improve.

Thank you again Rangers.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”