Any tips for weather?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
arsomething
Embryo

Any tips for weather?

Post by arsomething »

Hello, Rangers.

I've got a slot for next year's summer course for Ranger School and I've started preparing now with the preparation routines found online. However, these cover the physical aspects and some mental ones, but not so much preparing for the conditions as well as ways to keep yourself physically apt during the course.

My LT told me a tiny cut on his arm led to cellulitis, and I've read about ingrown hairs shutting down someone's entire immune system since their body was so weak. I've taken combat life saver courses and routinely talk to the 18D's / 68W's with me. Recently I witnessed 40+ heat cats over the course of a few days here and it shocked me as to how easily it could sneak up on someone.

Do you Rangers have any specific advice, reads, tips, etc. that you can help me with? I've got some books coming in the mail that will give me a good read all around read about Ranger school, but I'm concerned mostly with tips about avoiding a heat cat, taking care of my body, and ensuring my body stays as healthy as possible throughout the course. Thank you.
11B
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Any tips for weather?

Post by rangerjd »

Drink <strong>PL ENTY</strong> of water and don't quit. I was a Ranger Instructor in Desert Phase and the biggest problems we had were that the Ranger students wouldn't drink the hot water in their canteens. They'd become a heat casualty and their canteens would be full. Water is water, hot or cold. Drink as much as you can get and watch your Ranger buddy. It is as simple and as hard as that. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
arsomething
Embryo

Post by arsomething »

rangerjd wrote:Drink <strong>PL ENTY</strong> of water and don't quit. I was a Ranger Instructor in Desert Phase and the biggest problems we had were that the Ranger students wouldn't drink the hot water in their canteens. They'd become a heat casualty and their canteens would be full. Water is water, hot or cold. Drink as much as you can get and watch your Ranger buddy. It is as simple and as hard as that. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Thank you, Ranger rangerjd!
11B
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

Drink the water. Eat the MRE's when you can. Use the flavor packets to add to your water. If they still do the water resupply enroute to the OBJ from the patrol bases, drink your water until you're full then refill the canteens.

DO NOT ask for things like gatorade while in the course. I won't tell you why, but trust me on this.

That advice applies both to summer and winter if you are unfortunate enough to spend time in the re-education camps.

Above all else, don't quit mentally. It will suck, and your body try to convince you it needs to stop. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and move until daylight. They can't kill you on purpose there.

Good luck and keep us updated on your journey.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

As a summer Ranger, I will assure you that you need to drink as much liquid as possible. While they no longer limit you to one ration a day in Florida, and they no longer issue salt tablets, it is still easy to get dehydrated. So keep yourself hydrated at all times. RLTW!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

fatboy wrote:........ if you are unfortunate enough to spend time in the re-education camps
:lol: Couldn't help myself

arsomething, from what I hear, RS is much less intense than formerly. I also would emphasize water. Do NOT, as mentioned above, add anything to your water besides the purification tablets.

Jim, no food deprivation in Florida? Really? I still remember eating palmetto stalks.

**QRT was here**
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

Lefty wrote:
fatboy wrote:........ if you are unfortunate enough to spend time in the<strong> re-education camps</strong>
:lol: Couldn't help myself

arsomething, from what I hear, RS is much less intense than formerly. I also would emphasize water. Do NOT, as mentioned above, add anything to your water besides the purification tablets.

Jim, no food deprivation in Florida? Really? I still remember eating palmetto stalks.

**QRT was here**
Not sure how it runs now, but a few years back you were given your rations for the day (roughly). I say roughly because they apparently weren't feeding the opfor, so they resorted to ambushing the LOG trains, keeping us starving Ranger wannabes from getting resupplied. Made for some long movements and times in the swamps.

As far as the re-education camps, I spent a very long tour in Florida with the Best Ranger Cycle break. 18 days of SOPS, retraining, details, and more. Hell, me and my recycle buddies even helped remodel the 6th RTB museum while we were there, and we were rewarded with hot dogs we cooked ourselves. We had a few other interesting things as "guests" in the camps, but why ruin all the surprises? :lol:
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”