Obtaining a Slot - the Process?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
AshCav
Embryo

Obtaining a Slot - the Process?

Post by AshCav »

Greetings Rangers, veterans, and fellow soldiers:
I am a brand new 2LT fresh out of Armor BOLC. Unfortunately, I did not earn a Ranger slot at BOLC but I have a strong desire to go to the school. I have a few questions regarding the process of obtaining a Ranger slot.

What is the process like in obtaining a Ranger school slot at a unit? Who do I talk to? What are the steps involved? I am in a heavy unit, so is there less of a priority for me to go to school?

v/r,
Ashcav
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Obtaining a Slot - the Process?

Post by Jim »

Are you serving in a unit yet?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
AshCav
Embryo

Post by AshCav »

Ranger Jim,
Not yet - I have not been assigned to a specific unit (just a brigade), but I report in 20 days. I am currently on permissive tdy.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

As soon as you inprocess, discuss this issue with your chain of command.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Jim wrote:As soon as you inprocess, discuss this issue with your chain of command.
Good advice for just about anything a Junior O needs to know or wants to do.

Your CO (or whomever gets to rate you) should cover your goals, expectations and professional development as well as his goals for you (which may differ from yours) during your initial counseling and anotate that on your OER support form.

Touhh
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

What ZoneIV said.

I am just a tad older than ZoneIV but can testify that it was the same during my time in service. Don't know how it is now, but suspect it hasn't changed in this regard - there are only so many slots in RS for aspirants and these are divided up among the various units. Commanders must pick and choose who to send based on how the commanders perceive the need for each candidate to go. When I was assigned to 6th SFGA, I thought getting a slot in RS was a no-brainer, but the no-brainer was me, cuz there were only so many RS slots allotted to the SF groups, and a whole lotta people were in line ahead of me.
To expand a little on ZoneIV's other comments, you will be very busy as the junior LT at the bottom of the totem pole. I bet the Army still has what were (are?) called "additional duties", such as BN Safety Officer, plus all the mini (and maxi) investigations of lost/strayed/stolen equipment and line of duty incidents and accidents.
And as for resentment by non-tabbers, especially in Armor, you better believe it. There were several officers in my CoC at Ft. Hood who acted as if it was their particular job to make life as difficult as possible for the tabbed junior officers. I doubt much has changed there either.

You have much to learn, much that was not taught to you in BOLC. Take it all in, be wary of the knaves, and watch for your opportunities.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
AshCav
Embryo

Post by AshCav »

Rangers,
The answer is that I didn't meet the PT score cut-off. Cut-off was 285, I had a 275. My score improved at the end of the cycle, but I couldn't attend the Ranger PT's so since I wasn't in the pre-Ranger program I was not able to go. I think we had about 15 going to RTAC - I guess they have to pass the pre-Ranger course before being allowed to go to Ranger.

Your advice is very sound. I think I will just focus on being the best Armor officer I can until I go to MCCC. Given that the rumor mill is saying that there may be a deployment soon, this has become my primary focus. I'm disappointed in myself because I was not able to get a slot in BOLC, so I reasoned that I could possibly try to get one through my unit.

It's funny that you mention the jealousy that the non-tabbed had towards Rangers. A lot of the cadre would mock those officers who were or expressed a desire to go to Ranger school, so I'm not quite sure what's going on there. I have a strong respect for those with the tab and would some day like to earn that distinction myself.

Thank you all for the advice.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ZoneIV wrote:
Buddha wrote:Good luck in your first assignment! Being a platoon leader is a great time!
Absolutely. I was fortunate to have a Tank Platoon as well as the Bn Scout Platoon. While other jobs I had looked good on paper and were career enhancing, none of them were as fun as being a Platoon Leader. Good luck!
I led a rifle platoon, Anti-tank platoon, and a Support Platoon. the best jobs I could have had.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I could tell some NTC stories about being forward of the FLOT and using a TOW platoon to take out an entire Tank Company, a helicopter landing a recon unit, and changing the landscape of the entire battle...but I won't. I will say this, though - when you discover that an enemy tank can't elevate it's guns high enough to reach your elevated position and they are all stuck in a ravine because you took the lead and trail vehicles out - well, that's just a good time right there.

At 3250 meters you can't hear them scream, but you can watch them burn.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”