RS....Summer or Winter??

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: RS....Summer or Winter??

Post by KW Driver »

ok, you don't have your head right. if you want it you will fight for, and climb over the bodies of those who wanted that one slot, to get on the first thing smoking to the schoolhouse, or you may never go.

"yeah, sure sure, I'd like to go, but can I wait till winter, it's hot out" ain't likely to instill a sense of your dedication to your CoC.

I'll just leave it at that. you can work out the rest.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
KMANinTX
Embryo

Post by KMANinTX »

Roger that Ranger KW Driver.
I will go when they tell me I am "ready" to go....whenever that is....rain or shine, winter or summer.
I KNOW I'm not quite ready yet....physically. I need to be able to MAX the AFPT and have BAC completed before they will send me to PRC. Hell, you have to qualify to even get in the unit. During this time of getting myself physically ready, I am researching and preparing mentally too.
I know I haven't been there and don't know what it will be like. I only know what people tell me it was like for them. I also don't have a whole Battalion of Rangers telling me "exactly" what to expect and what to train for. And because I'm ARNG, I have to do most of this on my own time and my own dime.

So, it's not that I don't want this....I truely do. I've commited myself to training to beyond the standard. I could have come back in and took some easy job and skate to retirement. That's not me.
I came back after a 8 yr break in service to do this.....and only this. This new unit got me excited about being in the military again. I had them put it in my contract for this new Airborne Batt in TX. If being a part of this unit means I need to be Ranger qualified, then that's what I will be doing.....and enjoying every minute of what I volunteered to do.

Thank again for the input. Truely appreciated.
KMAN
Texas ARNG
E Co, 1/143D (Airborne), 36ID
USN ET2 (SW/AW) 94'-02'
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

The motivation you have towards Ranger School now needs to be applied towards every school you have to attend beforehand. One step at a time. Keep your targets focused on, and in order. You will find yourself at Ranger School in no time, wondering just what the hell you were thinking. :P
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
KMANinTX
Embryo

Post by KMANinTX »

Elguapo wrote:The motivation you have towards Ranger School now needs to be applied towards every school you have to attend beforehand. One step at a time. Keep your targets focused on, and in order. You will find yourself at Ranger School in no time, wondering just what the hell you were thinking. :P
Thanks for the slap on the noggin'.......started getting ahead of my self for a sec.

If I train myself to RS standards, PT should be a breeze at BAC. But, yes I understand about slowing my roll in respect to everything else.

I'm just one of those guys that like to show up with a general idea of what it is I need to accomplish instead of being that guy with 2 left boots, no socks wondering where muster is.

Thanks
KMAN
Texas ARNG
USN ET2 (SW/AW) 94'-02'
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:Do both! 8)
Thats what I did Zonk!!! Last summer class, first winter class...cold with one MRE a day SUCKED ASS. It was a little easier with the extra chow and sleep.

BTW stud...it's gonna suck no matter when you go...that's why we call it...well...

The SUCK......

You will be tired, wet, hungry, sore, tired, hot and cold no matter when you go through. (Did I mention Tired?)
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

If you keep your attitude and are in shape, there is no doubt you will do well. Keep your attitude though. A strong will goes a long way.

Do yourself a favor though, set your sights higher than the "Standard". I trained to meet the standard, and wish I would have trained harder. Things could have been a little bit easier for me had I been in better shape.

When do you leave?
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

so here's some free chicken , considering I wore that patch when only one company in the state did,

learn the Ranger Creed, verbatim. if you do it now it won't hurt as much in PRC.

then live it. every day. if you can do that, you'll be successful. recognizing it's an ideal 24/7, but meaningfully live it to the best of your abilities will get you where you want to go. as Guapo said, 100% and then some is not the same as 85% +/- 15%.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

LOL as both a winter and summer Ranger I can sympathize and empathize with either end of this one.

BLUF: Don't worry a second about which season you may get to attend... worry about just getting to attend at all... remember that MOST don't even make it that far.

Ranger Tater Nuts can attest to the wickedness of the Mountains in the winter. Perhaps he may be conned into regaling you of the tale of 4-80's ice storm on the 3 day patrol in the Mountains. Brrrrrr....
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

Summer, winter - either one SUCKS for your parents! Trust me - my son's in school and every day I come home without a letter giving me some form of address to contact him I want to kill something!
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

I told my family not to send me letters when I went through RS. Not that I thought about them much while I was there. Once you are in, you go into Survival mode. The absolutely only thing that we ever talked about or thought about was food. We'd be pulling security and all we'd talk about was the restaurants we were going to eat at when we got back to Savannah.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

you work for Balderston, what a fucking turd!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
KMANinTX
Embryo

Post by KMANinTX »

75rangermom wrote:Summer, winter - either one SUCKS for your parents! Trust me - my son's in school and every day I come home without a letter giving me some form of address to contact him I want to kill something!
I am the "parent"....hehe. I will more than likely be 42 when I get to go thru... And I have a 20 month old. My parents will probably worry more about deploying.....
Until that time, it's hit the gym everyday.
Where in MN are you? I grew up in MN until after high school.
KMAN
Texas ARNG
USN ET2 (SW/AW) 94'-02'
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

KMANinTX wrote:
75rangermom wrote:Summer, winter - either one SUCKS for your parents! Trust me - my son's in school and every day I come home without a letter giving me some form of address to contact him I want to kill something!
I am the "parent"....hehe. I will more than likely be 42 when I get to go thru... And I have a 20 month old. My parents will probably worry more about deploying.....
Until that time, it's hit the gym everyday.
Where in MN are you? I grew up in MN until after high school.
I apologize, I just saw your question on this post. I'm in Northern MN, a little town called Park Rapids, we frequently have to wonder if it's tourist season why can't you kill them? Where did you grow up?
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”