Droning at school is fun!

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Bad Karma
Ranger

Droning at school is fun!

Post by Bad Karma »

When I got to mountains was when I really started to see things. Such as one time when I was in a patrol base and I saw a trailer and I told my buddy we should go and get under it to get warm. He says to me, "What the hell are you talking about?", thats when I realized what I had said.
Cco. 2/75 arrived 22SEP04
RIP class 09-04
RS class 04-06
OEF
Kill an arab for Jesus.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Go post an intro!
StrykeFirst
US Army

Post by StrykeFirst »

One of my favorite ones is up in the mountains we were making a night movement on the road to our patrol base about 2 or 3 days into the second FTX, and my buddy just stops walking for no reason, so I run back and police him up and he tells me with a straight face that he saw someone "Go into the Porta-John and he was thier Ranger Buddy for when they came out"...
172nd Stryker Brigade
OIF III (Aug 05-Dec 06)
ReFlagged 1st Brigade/25th ID (Stryker)
RS 02-08

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway
Signa Inferemus
Ranger

Ha

Post by Signa Inferemus »

Mountains - We had a really late ambush, so we went walking to our PB. It couldn't have been 4 or 5 km away, but one knows how easy it is to drone when you are under the 7's ... I don't know if the 14's were worse off or not. Anyway, I'm completely out of it, just followin' the ruck in front of me. All of a sudden, you hear a crash and the RI's start yelling, "What the fuck is all this noise! yadda yada yadda" Buddy of mine thought we started breaking brush and he just took off down the side of the mountain ... busted it HARD! Was funny at the time ...

Florida - We couldn't finish the second half of "The Boiling" due to safety issues with the water and the boats. I dont know how long this roadmarch was, but it felt like we walked for days. I as humping the 240 ... was a shitty night. I fell asleep 5 or 6 different times on this walk. Anyway, somewhere along the way, RI starts yelling at one of the other studs. "You motherfucking homo,what the hell are you doing?" "Nothing, Sarn't" "Get back in formation!" He was sound asleep, walked right over to the RI and damn near tackled him enroute. Woke me up for a little while.

Mountains - 0400hrs. First formation and sensitive items check. Were in our square, RI calling off equipment. The other RI was staning to the side, and "Frank D" started carressing his arm! RI about knocks him out. The stud wakes up and starts talking about his dream. It was sooo funny. Turned out to be one of the most laid back sensitive item checks we had.
:D
167IN ALARNG (2003-Present)
WTC PRC 07-07
RS 08-07
AEaton07
Ranger

Re: Ha

Post by AEaton07 »

Signa Inferemus wrote:Mountains - We had a really late ambush, so we went walking to our PB. It couldn't have been 4 or 5 km away, but one knows how easy it is to drone when you are under the 7's ... I don't know if the 14's were worse off or not. Anyway, I'm completely out of it, just followin' the ruck in front of me. All of a sudden, you hear a crash and the RI's start yelling, "What the Duck! is all this noise! yadda yada yadda" Buddy of mine thought we started breaking brush and he just took off down the side of the mountain ... busted it HARD! Was funny at the time ...
I did this same thing in Mountains. It was a long road movement under the 7's late at night and I was following the cat eyes in front of me (at least I thought it was a person). This Ranger who I later found out was imaginary took a hard left and I followed him. I woke up as I was doing cartwheels down the side of the mountain. I stopped when I landed up against a tree. I looked up startled to see my squad standing on the street laughing their asses off.

A lot of funny things happened in mountains. At least they are funny now, but not so funny then. Crawling up Hawk Mountain on all fours in the pouring rain/sleet to get to our patrol base for the night was probably my "favorite". Well either that or the "Rescue Randy" mission carrying 400 rounds of 7.62.
1-21 IN
Ranger Class 2-07
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

If I were hooked tu a lie detector, it would verify that I saw a four lane highway in the middle of the Yellow River Swamp in florida. I know I saw it -- it was there.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

I hallucinated seeing a patrol shadowing us in mountains. I could make out the details of thier uniforms ... everything, but I knew I was droning because they were less than 100m and were making absolutely NO sound whatsoever. None. We were not anywhere where we should have had any adjacent unit issues, OPFOR contact, or anything else. It was a little freaky.

So I let my Ranger buddy know that I am droning and tell him to keep en eye on me when we stop so I don't fall asleep, and I damn near shit my pants when he said that he say it too. :shock:

What are the odds of two Hooah having the same hallucination at the same time? Maybe there is really a ghost patrol running around Dahlonega. :lol:
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

During a map check I looked up and saw, on a low haning branch, two professional golfers in pink shirts discussing the PGA tour.

Then, on the final walk into the Florida camp, the blinking lights from some far away tower reflected in my catch-me-fuck me glasses and appeared to me to be an elf running alongside the formation. Everytime I turned my head, the reflection (and elf) disappeared (pissing me off).

Both times the sane part of my brain told me my visions weren't real, but since I was entertained...I just kinda went with it.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grunt »

We were moving along in the mountains one evening. Not much illum. and we're in some fairly thick pine area. Then we stop for a map check. Of course, everyone takes a knee and faces out. A few moments later we start to move again and I see the guys ahead, one by one, start to pick up and move. All except for this one guy directly in front of me. He's still kneeling and facing out. I start whispering to him, "Hey, let's go, we're moving..." He doesn't move at all and it's obvious that he's fallen asleep. So I whisper again, "Hey, wake up, we're moving." By now the guys behind me are up and wondering what's going on. One of them walks up to me and says "What's the hold up?" I tell him that the this guy has fallen asleep and I'm trying to get him to move. He then looks at the guy, looks back at me, and says, "it's a tree." Sure enough, it was a little pine tree that I SWORE was a member of the patrol.

Grunt
A co 1-502 10/84 - 12/85
CSCo 4-327 01/85 - 08/87
C co 1-17 09/87 - 02/88
RS Class 02-87
Furious George
Ranger

Re: Droning at school is fun!

Post by Furious George »

I know this is an old post, but still funny none the less...

We were humping in the mountains one night and I swear the Ranger's ruck in front of me turned out to be the largest, juiciest cheeseburger I had ever seen...fuck, my mouth is still watering... :lol:
A Co. 2/504 ('86-'87)
Recon Plt. 2/504 ('88-'90)
Operation Just Cause

RS 14-88
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Patrol Base at mountains, setting the gun up at the 2 o'clock, AG starts removing a small bush that's in our way and obviously I think he's shaking a baby and trying to bury it :shock: I start to get a little concerned. I spent the rest of the night "imagining" myself low crawling through the PB and not knowing where the hell I was. At day break I was minus a PC, my eye pro, and a knife 8) the only other time I've had a lapse like that was St. Paddy's Day in Savannah.
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
LJ_602
Ranger

Post by LJ_602 »

Mountains-Walking on one of the roads that had a steep drop-off on one side and guys were just stepping off and rolling down, I'm amazed no one got hurt. I was walking along when we were on a trail and I looked up and saw a pick up with a trailer hitch on it, I jumped out of the way, looked back and nothing was there.
Taking a knee one time my NODs were fogging up so I figured I would light all the menorahs around me so I could see (I'm not Jewish either). Some one asked me what I was doing, because I was just sitting there waving my hand up and down.
Another time we were taking a knee I saw the guy get up in front of me and I stood up and followed him, when I broke the wood line there was no one there. When I turned around and came back out of the wood line I was nose to nose with an RI.
USS George Washington 97-00
HC-2 SAR 00-01
C CO 2-505 PIR 82nd ABN current
Ranger Class 1-11
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

I can remember starting the something or other 500 in florida- the day you got to the patrol base early, thought you were golden, then got blown out to test your black or gold plan. After getting blown out, things get fuzzy :D
Near as I can figure, somewhere around the only gi-fucking-normous hill on River road, we took casualties. We then had to move them to a safe area. I remember none of this. I do remember asking an RI at the top of the hill why I had goose bumps though. (I was in Florida phase in August). And I clearly to this day remember the RI's response: "Ranger, where the fuck is your rucksack at?" My only response was I dunno :lol:
Needless to say, I found my ruck after going back down the hill at a high rate of speed. Walking that hill sucked the second time too.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
Willy_P
Ranger

Post by Willy_P »

I saw that damned ghost patrol in mountains too.. strong pointed with a guy that wasn't there either. Those damned mountains are haunted.
RASP #08-11
RS #04,05-13
HHC, 3/75 MTR.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”