Foreign Students

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Nuse05

Post by Nuse05 »

I lived in Saudi Arabia for 12 years as a kid and my father was friends with many guys in the military and had them over to the house often. Now I have never been to Ranger School and from what i know its tough to say the least. I couldn't imagine anyone from there going to Ranger School and making it past the first week, let alone the first day
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

If you post an additional time without posting an introduction on this site, it will result in your account being shut down for 48 hours.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

OK..I hear the same cockamamie story (and believed it) early in my career. As an instructor I was never given any special instructions to deal with anyone. Once I started working at the HQ (Brigade) I had the opportunity to see the administrative portion of Ranger school. I have seen SEVERAL non US students returned to their homelands wihtout a Tab (Or the ever fabled certificate of achievement).

There was one case (I was personally involved) were a squad of studs peered this eastern European officer. The Officer was a complete stud and we couldn't figure out why his squad peered him. After investigation it was found that since they had to peer someone they peered the foriegner because he would graduate anyway. The Brigade commander had to get involved to make sure the right thing happened. Otherwise he was going home.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Nuse05 wrote:I lived in Saudi Arabia for 12 years as a kid and my father was friends with many guys in the military and had them over to the house often. Now I have never been to Ranger School and from what i know its tough to say the least. I couldn't imagine anyone from there going to Ranger School and making it past the first week, let alone the first day
Nuse - Why is it you lived in Saudi Arabia for 12 years as a youngster; ie; what was your father doing there for 12 years? Don't you feel deprived of missing out on being exposed to American Culture for 12 years of your youth and instead formulating many of your values based on exposure to an inferior culture?
RGR W. Beals
Ranger

Other odd ball students

Post by RGR W. Beals »

We had two Nicaraguan troops (one died) and a Malaysian CSM. At the end of the course they asked us what we thought was the hardest part of Ranger school. The Old Malaysian CSM said, "parachute jump". The Ranger OIC said why was that so hard and the old CSM said, "Never parachute jump before. The idiot got in line with the airborne guys instead of the legs and made a total of 4 jumps with us. He was never airborne qualified! They gave him a set of jump wing s too.
RGR School class 2/77. A/NCOIC RIP 2/75th
A/2/75 from 11/75 to 7/79
johnjohnson1957
Ranger

Re: Foreign Students

Post by johnjohnson1957 »

I too heard stories about foreign students being executed if they failed. We had a couple of folks from different African countries. None of them were really motivated. The one in my patrol was supposed to have had several years of experience fighting various bush wars but he was friggen useless. He is the PL and I am the APL. He has the night vision (NV) device. Its night and we moved out from a RP (took a knee there for some reason lost to the mists of time). For some reason (probably because the PL really was useless) I ask him for the NV. He says he's not sure where they are. I am seeing a no go in my immediate future so I stop the patrol and have the requisite RI motivational discussion after I say "NV is missing." I get permission to go back to the RP to see if they are there. I find them at the RP and we get back on track. PL failed but I got a go. I think he got peered in Darby as I can't remember him in the Mountains. We had one tall, skinny guy from Singapore who made RS seem like a cake walk. Had two very squared away Canadians who also both went straight thru. One got special attention in Mountains when he was caught with peanut butter sandwiches under his Tshirt. Being there were a coupe of others from his patrol caught doing likewise they all got to share the special attention. The other Canadian was a short guy who could do no wrong (seemed to know everything). I remember him as the one stud who was allowed to direct Hueys into the LZ. He also handled the ration poncho air drop in FL; he did good and we got to eat. One guy from Honduras was very motivated to learn as he was going back home where they were having some border dust ups. He did fine. We had someone from the middle east (Lebanese or Turkish) who didn't. I don't think he graduated but I don't know for sure. I'd have to check the list of graduates to be sure but I don't think any of the African military graduated with us.
Army AD medic: FAMC, 2/5 FA, 97 Gen Hosp, AFRC Berchtesgaden, 28 CSH; 1975-1980
Army Guard/Reserve: 1/410 Inf, 209 Med Clr Co, 12th SF: 1982-1988
USAF AD: 1988-2003; Retired
RS 10-81
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

My class 13-71, had several LTs from Thailand who had just graduated from the Citadel (in South Carolina). They were all sons of Generals in the Thai Army. All spoke fluent English and had just completed IOBC. They were all squared away.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
judeisnotobscure
Ranger

Post by judeisnotobscure »

During a smoke session over a snickers bar our acting student plt sgt choke slammed our eastern european visitor after he called us fat, lazy, lying Americans.

The foreign gentleman stood up and started yelling at us and the closest ranger to him got up... Wham!
As I was doing mtn climbers i was like "Yes!"+

He and his comrade went home that day, while our plt sgt moved on to get his tab.

Our Canadian patrol pathfinder was good shit though.
class 6-05
82nd 1/325 9-02 to 9-06

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”