Digging Deep - Need Advice On Motivation

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Digging Deep - Need Advice On Motivation

Post by RangerX »

Outside taking some of the load off her plate, if she doesn't have it in her, she doesn't have it in her.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

When it comes to an assessment and selection process the person doing it has to have the self motivation to continue on when things get tough. If you want to make it, you have to NOT QUIT, it's as simple and as hard as that. The person who makes it, is the person who doesn't quit.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangerjd wrote:When it comes to an assessment and selection process the person doing it has to have the self motivation to continue on when things get tough. If you want to make it, you have to NOT QUIT, it's as simple and as hard as that. The person who makes it, is the person who doesn't quit.
I could not say it better than this. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by CCJ »

From my experience/view point, motivation is just a temporary thing- she needs more discipline. I think motivation is kind of like a fire, it's there and it's good but it'll eventually go away. Some days will absolutely suck and training will be the last thing you'd ever want to do- do it anyways. I'm no expert by any means but I've read several things regarding motivation and have gained a perspective that I think several people may be missing. The discipline should come naturally if she wants this bad enough; slacking/quitting shouldn't be anywhere near her mind. If she's already starting to self-eliminate before she's even gotten to the selection then she's definitely gotta fix something and I hope that you can help her fix whatever issues may exist.
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160112

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

CCJ wrote:From my experience/view point, motivation is just a temporary thing- she needs more discipline. I think motivation is kind of like a fire, it's there and it's good but it'll eventually go away. Some days will absolutely suck and training will be the last thing you'd ever want to do- do it anyways. I'm no expert by any means but I've read several things regarding motivation and have gained a perspective that I think several people may be missing. The discipline should come naturally if she wants this bad enough; slacking/quitting shouldn't be anywhere near her mind. If she's already starting to self-eliminate before she's even gotten to the selection then she's definitely gotta fix something and I hope that you can help her fix whatever issues may exist.
Well, I've been off the site for a while and you, CCJ, get the honor of my first post back. You are also lucky that my temper has soothed with age. Basically, you need to check yourself at the door, and allow the vetted members address this topic. You are, what, Nineteen? How dare you say that this man's wife needs "more discipline"! In your experience?? Just what, exactly, in your short nineteen years have you experienced to make you an authority on the subject? Don't answer that. I really don't care what you answer would be. I mean it, don't reply. When you successfully navigate the pipeline to graduate RASP, or some similar crucible, Then you can come to our house and tell people that they lack self discipline.

To pobdietel: Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the assessment/selection for? (Not that it matters) What kind diet plan are you following? Studies have found that rather than trying to change "cold turkey", one should have built in "rewards". I.E. "If I go a week doing x, then I can have y..". It could be anything-a special meal or food, going to a movie, buying something nice for yourself, whatever. As far as the self-elimination? That isn't good, on any level. It really isn't healthy at all. PM inbound.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

CCJ wrote:From my experience/view point, motivation is just a temporary thing- she needs more discipline. I think motivation is kind of like a fire, it's there and it's good but it'll eventually go away. Some days will absolutely suck and training will be the last thing you'd ever want to do- do it anyways. I'm no expert by any means but I've read several things regarding motivation and have gained a perspective that I think several people may be missing. The discipline should come naturally if she wants this bad enough; slacking/quitting shouldn't be anywhere near her mind. If she's already starting to self-eliminate before she's even gotten to the selection then she's definitely gotta fix something and I hope that you can help her fix whatever issues may exist.
Maybe you could show us some of that self discipline you learned in a book and refrain from posting where no one cares about your opinion.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “About Army Physical Training”