Combat swim stroke

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Combat swim stroke

Post by rangertough »

bobdub wrote:What is the proper swim technique to learn for Ranger training?

I have learned the combat swim stroke, with and without fins, and find it more difficult than the side stroke (with scissor kick). I have been practicing swimming 1000 meters, with and without fins.

I have also found it is impossible to swim with full gear/boots on in my gym's pool, as it is against the rules. Should I even consider practicing this outside of military facilities? I also heard that flotation devices are allowed to be stored inside the rucksack to make it a flotation device, when swimming with gear. I don't want to teach our enemies anything so I would understand if this post was deleted.

I just have no idea if I would drown with full combat gear on.

Thank you for your assistance.
Son of a bitch...a decent question.

As someone who's basically negatively buoyant, this was my worry in RIP. I prefer the side stroke (unless this is verboten, Affirm or one of our newer Rangers help me out here). It's energy efficient, has a glide period and when you reach and pull with your lead arm you can propel your head up. You look pretty sweet with your arm holding your weapon out of the water.

1. DO NOT SWIM IN FULL EQUIPMENT OUTSIDE OF A POOL.

2. DO NOT SWIM ANYWHERE WITHOUT AN OBSERVER/LIFEGUARD OR SWIM BUDDY.

3. IF YOU SWIM OPEN WATER HAVE A CHASE BOAT OR DRAG FLOATATION BEHIND YOU PAM ANDERSON STYLE (in addition to a buddy or chase boat).

If you need to train for the swim test ask for one of the swim bricks from the pool staff. Swim up to 500m with the brick posted on your arm sticking out of the water (switch arms and sides every 50m). If you can do that you can pass the swim test with boots and equipment on.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

rangertough wrote:
bobdub wrote:What is the proper swim technique to learn for Ranger training?

I have learned the combat swim stroke, with and without fins, and find it more difficult than the side stroke (with scissor kick). I have been practicing swimming 1000 meters, with and without fins.

I have also found it is impossible to swim with full gear/boots on in my gym's pool, as it is against the rules. Should I even consider practicing this outside of military facilities? I also heard that flotation devices are allowed to be stored inside the rucksack to make it a flotation device, when swimming with gear. I don't want to teach our enemies anything so I would understand if this post was deleted.

I just have no idea if I would drown with full combat gear on.

Thank you for your assistance.
Son of a bitch...a decent question.

As someone who's basically negatively buoyant, this was my worry in RIP. I prefer the side stroke (unless this is verboten, Affirm or one of our newer Rangers help me out here). It's energy efficient, has a glide period and when you reach and pull with your lead arm you can propel your head up. You look pretty sweet with your arm holding your weapon out of the water.

1. DO NOT SWIM IN FULL EQUIPMENT OUTSIDE OF A POOL.

2. DO NOT SWIM ANYWHERE WITHOUT AN OBSERVER/LIFEGUARD OR SWIM BUDDY.

3. IF YOU SWIM OPEN WATER HAVE A CHASE BOAT OR DRAG FLOATATION BEHIND YOU PAM ANDERSON STYLE (in addition to a buddy or chase boat).

If you need to train for the swim test ask for one of the swim bricks from the pool staff. Swim up to 500m with the brick posted on your arm sticking out of the water (switch arms and sides every 50m). If you can do that you can pass the swim test with boots and equipment on.
Great advice from RangerTough, if you can swim 500m or more with the brick then you will be able to pass the swim test. The goal is to get comfortable in the water. If you can remain completely relaxed while swimming, no matter the circumstances, you will increase your chances 100 fold. By the way, RangerTough, I thought Pam Anderson was a flotation device! :lol:
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

bobdub wrote:After all, what would be worse than making it all the way through Ranger training, to fail solely because of the swim test.
No, the swim test comes first. Read the FAQ!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

Side stroke is the best way to go about it. Practice treading water without using your hands. The swim test isnt difficult, have some confidence in yourself and just relax. Contrary to what you might think while you're there, the RASP Cadre will not let you die in the pool.
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Ok Rangertough you had me laughing. Thanks I needed it... I guess it is not often someone has a decent question..... I am pretty sure that Pam Anderson has two flotation devices just in case one were to fail....

Yes sidestroke is best, and yes it is allowed. The brick is a great idea once you get the hang of sidestroke. Also heed the words that Rangertough gave to you about swimming with a buddy and all the precautions, that is one of the most important parts for you to take away.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

gRavepc wrote:Contrary to what you might think while you're there, the RASP Cadre will not let you die in the pool.
I was/am a weak swimmer and I could have sworn they were going to let me drown had I not clawed my way through.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Return to “About Army Physical Training”