The Workout Thread

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Moose93
Embryo

Re: The Workout Thread

Post by Moose93 »

21 6' 3'' 220lbs

Coming off of a 4 month patrol (self admin):

PU: 71
SU: 67
Pull: 16
2MI Run: 13:54

Score: 270/300
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Dfraney
Embryo

Post by Dfraney »

FS APFT (20150507)

H: 5'4
W: 125LBS

PU: 83
SU: 55
2MI: 13:43
PULL: Uncertain, last time I did max pull ups was nearly a year ago, managed 11 (deadhang) I believe.

Push ups have always been a synch since I'm a tiny fella. The problem I'm having is with sit ups, I can BARELY manage to pass the APFT standard. I believe its due to weak hip flexors, cause I get a tightness in my lower back where the hip flexors attach to the lumbar spine. So for now, I've been focusing on strengthening them by flutter kicks, walking lunges, marching in place, etc. My runtime has SIGNIFICANTLY improved. When I took my first APFT in December, I ran a 17:44. I blame myself for a terrible diet at the time and not running for roughly 6 months. Hearing I dropped 4 minutes made me ecstatic, now I just have to keep working my hip flexors and core. I'm hoping to score at least 290 on the final APFT of OSUT.
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

11MAY15
W: 220lbs
H: 6'3"

PU: 101
SU: 98
Pull: 16 (did on my own before run)
2MR: 13:36 (kept my clock rolling after the 1.5 mile)

Score: 292/300

This was at the official Navy PRT today, so my form was scrutinized, however I know not even close to the intensity of the pre-RASP APFT. Happy with the improvements, especially on situps and pushups, but still need work on the run and a bit on the pullups. Just trying to shed off the extra dirt and rust from the float we came off of. A little difficult to train when your 6 hrs on 6 hrs off 24/7, but I do what I have to. No excuses.

Still looking for a solid training partner, especially once I process out. If any of you other guys here are interested in starting a friendly competition and swap training plans, ideas or workouts just shoot me a PM.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Patriot
Inprocessing

Post by Patriot »

Rangers, Mentees/Deps,
I purchased Strong Swift Durable's program for Rasp Preparation and I am now in the second week of the plan. I can say that my pushups and sit-ups have gone up, my running and ruck times are down tremendously and it is only week two. This program is six weeks long and has specific exercises tailored to help a military athlete in training and preparation for Rasp. I recommend it to mentees and deps alike. It implements interval training for running and rucking as well which has helped me improve, another thing it focuses on is swimming which is good for people like me who are not strong swimmers. I just wanted to post this so my fellow future soldiers can hear positive feedback for it if you were interested in the program. What I liked most about this program is that there is three ruck marches per week and it has made me more comfortable under my Alice pack and start to enjoy rucking. I have been doing extra MAW, and RAW type workouts as well as extra bodyweight training, plyometrics , rope climbs, odd object training, climbing walls, etcetera with it. At the end of the six week plan there is a final assessment, when I complete it I will post before and after scores.
1/75
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

seancul55 wrote:Self-Administered APFT + Pull Ups - 20150601

Push: 77
Sit: 59
2MR: 14:50
Pull: 7

Overall, very pleased with the improvement. However, I still have a looong ways until I am approaching scores that could even be considered satisfactory. Back to PT.
Seeing you raise those pulls from 4 to 7 is good as 4 could be a failing # in BAC which is considered by most as an easy course except 6 pull ups is the minimum. Trying to be able to do (holding & doing) 7 & 8. Drive on, make those items easy for yourself but do not injure your self.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Cuong
Embryo

Post by Cuong »

Self-administered APFT: 15June2015

Height: 5ft 11inch
Weight:172lb

Push-ups: 62
Sit-ups: 61
2-mile run: 15:07
Pull-ups: 10

Score: 231/300.
Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Mungi671 »

I did my first Ruck this morning. I estimate my ruck sack to weigh 35-45lb
I completed 5.5 miles in 1:21:40.
I was successful in maintaining a sub 15 minute mile pace.
I will gradually increase in distance to 12miles within these last 8 weeks I have to prepare before OSUT.
11X
Ship Date 20150908
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Mungi671 wrote:I did my first Ruck this morning. I estimate my ruck sack to weigh 35-45lb
I will gradually increase in distance to 12miles within these last 8 weeks I have to prepare before OSUT.
Do you have a bathroom scale in your home? If so there shouldn't be an "estimated" weight for your ruck.

There are events in a career where they will weigh your ruck. Under weight = failure.

If you don't have a scale it's understandable, if you do start using it for tracking sake.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

rangertough wrote:
Mungi671 wrote:I did my first Ruck this morning. I estimate my ruck sack to weigh 35-45lb
Do you have a bathroom scale in your home? If so there shouldn't be an "estimated" weight for your ruck.

There are events in a career where they will weigh your ruck. Under weight = failure.

If you don't have a scale it's understandable, if you do start using it for tracking sake.
Also remember that you weigh your ruck without food and water, any extra food or water goes in after the weigh-in. If you have a weight set like I do, you can simple choose the weight you want to carry and stick that amount in your ruck, then you don't need to weigh it. You'll be a little over counting the weight of the ruck, but that's okay.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Mungi671 »

Roger Ranger rangerjd,

Today I completed a 6.5 Mile road march in 1:37:19
This is under the 15minute mile pace by just seconds. I am continuing to strengthen my legs, core, and back to be able to maintain and improve my time as I gradually increase in length.

To ensure I meet the minimum weight requirement for my ruck sack I put in a 25lb plate, and 10lb plate. This way there is no doubt that I am training to the standard.
11X
Ship Date 20150908
CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by CCJ »

I decided that I'll give a little update on my scores, I took the 2-2-2 PFT with my recruiters yesterday and it went pretty well.

Push Ups: 64
Sit Ups: 85
2 Mile Run: 11:47

There was no pull up bar where I was so I couldn't assess them but once I got home (about 3 hours after the PFT) I completed 12 solid chin ups. I think I was supposed to do actual pull ups rather than chin ups and if so, I'll get it right next time. I'll do 25+1 push ups right now for not being 100% positive.
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160112

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Fr88tz
Future Soldier

Post by Fr88tz »

Hello Rangers and everyone else on this site. Just decided to post a little update, yesterday I hit a new Personal Record on my push ups. My goal at first was 80 a while back ago, after being able to hit 77, and I could eventually get into the 80s range just fine, so my next goal was to practice on my pace a little more, and now yesterday I did 91 push ups in 2 mins. My new personal best. Then my second set I did 88, and my third set I did 70 in 2 mins but then even after the timer went off I did 7 more just to finish my set. So far happy with the progress. My next goal is 100 push ups in two minutes. I am really motivated, to keep on working hard
11X

Return to “About Army Physical Training”