Ruck Sack Weight

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: Ruck Sack Weight

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Damn, you cats are going back and forth so fast I have to modify my post!..

Biblical implications not withstanding... RangerTough is 100% correct in that a vegetarian, let alone vegan diet will be problematic to maintain, at best. One of the reasons it works so well for civilian athletes is simply because they don't have someone telling them what to eat/when to eat/how much to eat. You will be limited as to what you have available. Based on the regs (which come from the 2010 USDA RDA guidelines) a soldier involved in extremely heavy activity (such as RASP..) requires approximately 4600 cal/day. Specific to protein, the same soldier must take in about 1.5g/kg/day of protein. Assuming you weigh an average 68 kilos, that is 102g/day of protein.

Now then, here are the nutritional numbers for 3 standard protein sources:

Boneless/skinless chicken breast, broiled 2 slices (42g) serving=7g protein
Chick peas, boiled 1cup (164g) serving=15g protein
London broil, broiled 1 piece (359g)serving=110g protein

You do the math, but eating meat is a great protein source, very necessary to repair muscle and maintain proper nitrogen levels. You would have to eat a shit-load of falafel to make up the difference, and last I saw they don't have it on the menu. Having a well balanced diet is the key.
If you don't believe any of this, than pick up a copy of the "Navy Seal Nutrition Guide". It is spot on and very specific as to the type of activity.

Now, as far as the question of weight in a ruck sack? It has been discussed ad-nauseam here, and I'll bet you didn't use the search option, for we just discussed it at length here http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... 84a4260df5

Ideally, for training you should not exceed 35% of you body weight (not including water) you want it as close to your spine and as high on the back as possible. When you pass RASP and get to Bn you can (and will) start going heavier.

And as far as curing your asthma? Do a search on that too, but #1 environmental cause of asthma in the United States is from cockroach dander and I've said my peace on waivers for that.

Oh yeah, before you start getting smarmy with a vetted member of this board, could you please use the "search" feature? THANKS!

Doc out
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

RAIDER wrote:Having canines doesn't mean much. Even Camels and Horses have canines but if I remember correctly they don't eat meat, correct me if I'm wrong.Just look at our jaw types....Harbivores-Expanded angle...Humans-Expanded angles. Omnivores jaws if at all barely go side to side. Herbivores jaws go side to side just like us humans. Omnivores don't chew their food, but take a wild guess at who does.......Herbivores and Humans sure do. I can do this all day. Even Mike Tyson is a vegan now saying "I wish I was born this way". Lots of pro athletes are going vegan(at least during game season).
Being a vegan is much healthier overall, and it can CURE diseases! This is my last hope to cure my asthma so I can enlist in the Army with an Option 40 contract. It helped many others cure their asthma, and it's gonna cure mine.
"Fangs" junior. Visit a few dentition sites and maybe even one with such a limited grasp as yourself can draw a semantical distinction between "fangs" and "canines". But let's cut to the chase: Do you, or do you not believe that man is a predator? Are your vegan proclivities really based on some hocus-pocus regarding asthma cures, or do you harbor some misguided ethical reservation regarding the taking of animal/human lives? If so, what are you doing on a Ranger web site?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Every vegan I've ever met is sickly and basically barely able to carry themselves much less 65lbs of combat equipment. Pro athletes not withstanding (Soldiers never have the ability to eat like that).

Here's what's going to happen. You (because you will not listen to experts) will be unprepared for OSUT. IF you pass OSUT you will starve yourself and fail RASP. The problem will solve itself.

I'm done.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

RAIDER wrote:@ Rangertough...Vegans are generally more healthy then meat eaters.
Well, there you go.

You want or need advice, no one here will deny you that. That is, until you become the Subject Matter Expert. Or a hard head. Once you do, then, there's no need for any further guidance.

No sense listening to those who have gone before you and KNOW. But as the the previous post indicates, things like these have a tendency of working themselves out, in a Darwinian way.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

RAIDER wrote:Vegans are generally more healthy then meat eaters.
I will be having smoked vegan for lunch and grilled vegan this evening. Later this week I will hunt, kill and eat some small tree dwelling vegans.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

Richard Cranium wrote:You won't make it bud. I don't mean just the Rangers, but the Infantry period.

You're probably sitting behind your keyboard right now saying "Fuck that guy! What does he know?"

Real simple cupcake. You don't know how to STFU and listen. You have no concept of respect. Try that in the Army, and your NCO's will crush you. Fuck, the E4 mafia will crush you for them.

Rangers are ELITE ATHLETES, not some fucking jack off that spends all his time training to run marathons, and has time and money to follow hokey diet fads.

I've got 16 yrs in the Infantry, and to put it bluntly, you eat what the fuck your served, when its served. Its a physically demanding lifestyle that WILL break you down, even with a good diet.

No response needed. I am done reading your combative drivel.
You beat me to it! What the fuck is happening to this place?!?!?!?! I cannot believe this has gone on for so long.

Do what you want sweet heart! Sounds like you have it all planned out and really don't need this site to prepare for the hardest test you will face in your short life span. Let me know how veggies work out for you when you haven't eaten in 3-5 days and haven't slept in the same. This is just Battalion, assuming you get to school that will be a completely different story.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Point a) Teeth and eye placement aside, you have enzymes in your gut specifically for breaking down flesh. They do nothing to vegetable material. If you insist on subsiding strictly on non-animal proteins, avoid anything grown in a crop. If you want to know why, do some anthropology/primateology research. It could be said that agriculture is potentially the key element in our downfall.

Point b) There is no cure for asthma, only management.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

rangertough, with all do respect I could careless if the Catholics believe in evolution. They don't represent what all Christians think. I'm a Seventh-Day Adventist, we don't support that. The only reason why I was using bible text to support my my side of the argument is because IEDmagnet is also a christian(I think) so using bible text was appropriate. Now to answer your three questions
1. 9 amino acids in a full protein
2. Depends
3.Hold on let me ask Joel Kirkilis(Vegan Bodybuilder)

Chances are, is that the Rangers that tried but failed the vegan diet did it WRONG.
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

h
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

I'm taking the advice here seriously but if I want to cure my asthma then vegan is just what I have to do. Just by going as a vegetarian, my asthma/physical fitness is much better off, and I no longer need asthma meds. If the vegan thing doesn't work then I'll try something else. Yes I know that once I'm in AIT ect I have to eat what I'm given. The vegan diet is really meant to get me into the Army by curing my asthma, once it's cured I won't really care much about what I eat(I do but....)

Rangerx asthma can be cured but even if it can't, as long as my diet gets me through the door into the Army and I don't have an attack, it won't really matter. But many people tried it and it worked.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Yes I'm a Christian, thanks. Second....well read the following. It only mentions...wait for it...meat as a diet that possibly may affect asthma.

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/natural-cure-asthma

"Other findings suggest that diet plays a role in alleviating asthma symptoms. For example, it’s thought that omega-3 fatty acids found naturally in high-fat fish such as salmon, mackerel, or cod enable the body to make more products that tend to decrease inflammation. Whether or not this may be of benefit to those with asthma is still unproven."
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

After reading it......it's still unproven. I'm not gonna just sit here and believe I'm stuck with this asthma forever, and not be able to live my military career dream. They don't want to be a cure because they will lose money. It doesn't hurt to try.
He cured his asthma by going vegan.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cthzX7fwDp4
Well I'm gonna run three miles now, something I couldn't do before switching to a vegetarian diet lifestyle.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

RAIDER wrote:Chances are, is that the Rangers that tried but failed the vegan diet did it WRONG.
You're absolutely right. Rangers know nothing when it comes to nutrition. :roll:

Yup. A full blown know it all. You're doing a great job in the How To Win Friends and Influence people department.

If you know so much, why are you here?
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Mission man - I know you're trying to help, but Rangers (and ONLY Rangers) dispense advice on this website. Period. Don't take it personally.

Raider - You seem intelligent. Now you just need to learn to shut up more. If you don't like the advice you've been given then don't use it. Take that attitude to RASP and you will not make it. You might want to consider how you appear to those who are reading your posts.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...

Return to “About Army Physical Training”