Ruck Sack Weight

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
RAIDER
Embryo

Ruck Sack Weight

Post by RAIDER »

Hello Rangers, I'm still training up RASP, a place I hope to be at by next year or so. My 5mile time is improving(I went from a 65:00min run time to a recent 53:00 min run time;I know the time still isn't good, but I'm getting there). I expect that time to really increase once I fully go vegan(Raw). I want to start my ruck march training. I know where to buy the boots and the back pack/ruck but I'm not sure what to put in it besides random books. I'm gonna use Stew Smith's Army Ranger/SF workout book. He has it that every week or so that weight increases, I just rather have something that shows how much it weights so I won't be guessing. I just wanted to know what you used when you were preparing for RIP/RASP/what would you suggest using in terms of what you put in your ruck sack? THANKS
RAIDER
Embryo

Re: Ruck Sack Weight

Post by RAIDER »

Anyone currently training up for RASP(Or any other elite training program)/in RASP holdover is more then welcome to answer my question. THANKS
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

RAIDER wrote: I expect that time to really increase once I fully go vegan(Raw).
What is your logic on going vegan?

Do you expect your body to be able to build up the muscle mass it needs by cutting out animal protien? Please, tell me all about how with a specially formulated diet you can replace the amino acids that are missing in certain types of vegies with the amino's in other vegies you can produce full protiens, or do you plan on useing protien powders to do it?

Knew a couple of guys who tried that at BN and they just got weaker and weaker. Humans are Omnivorous. Accept this. Additionally you will have a hard time maintaining that diet in the Army. Especially OSUT where you get told to "Eat what's on your plate."

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

@ Rangertough...Vegans are generally more healthy then meat eaters. A lot of top athletes are vegans b/c it gives them more energy and faster recovery from workouts. If you are a christian, you have to remember that our orginal diet didnot consist of meat/animal products. The main reason why I'm going vegan(raw) is so I can completely get rid of my asthma. After I get rid of it I'm gonna get an asthma waiver(which is possible even at this stage).So do have any good ideas of what I should to put into my ruck sack? THANKS
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

RAIDER wrote:. If you are a christian, you have to remember that our orginal diet didnot consist of meat/animal products.
Wrong, Jesus fed what to the masses? It wasn't tofu and brocoli. It was fish. Which is an animal, and meat. (Matthew chapter14 verses 13-21) So....

I also disagree with your hypothesis about top athletes. That Ranger was correct, we are omnivores and intelligent design supports it. If we were herbivores exclusively, there would be no reason for canine teeth. Your body requires protein to build muscle and maintain it. I have seen a lot of the pasty, weak vegans run themselves into the ground and barely recover (my first cousin and a close friend).
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

@IEDmagnet For every unhealthy vegan you find, I can find at least ten unhealthy meat eaters. I said ORGINAL diet, like during Adam and Eve's time....Genesis 1:29 states: "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food." BEFORE the great flood, God only wanted men to eat fruits and grains. So Jesus feeding the people was AFTER the flood. But anyway, can you answer my question? THANKS
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

But your argument is flawed in the fact that Jesus was the Son of God, God himself in flesh if you are a Christian.

He fed the masses meat. As for the 10 unhealthy meat eaters, no doubt you can find 10 pudgy people in heart beat. This is America...unfortunately too many people sit behind their computers or TVs all the time instead of doing something to take care of themselves.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

@IEDmagnet Let me just ask you this, if Adam and Eve didn't sin, what would we be eating? I can guarantee you it wouldn't be meat. Just watch the documentary "Forks over Knifes" and you'll see. In one part it talks about how country A(I can't remember then name) got occupied by the Nazi's. When that happen, they took away all their animals that they were eating and gave them a plant based diet. Guess what happen....most cases of heart diseases ect went down. But after the occupation, and they got back their animals to eat, all their previous diseases came back up. There are many people who had cancer, asthma(what I have) and such that got cured by going on a plant based diet. They give three similar examples of that in the film. They either got completely cured of got very better after just three months on a plant based diet....GO Vegan....There's healthy and then there's vegan health(or simply very healthy).
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

@IEDmagnet I'm somewhat of a living testimony also. I ran throughout high school and never went much past two miles of running at once. But once I switched over to a vegetarian diet, not only did I lose weight(So far 25lbs) but I was able to double that 2 miles within 2-3 months, right off the bat. Not long afterwards I'm able to currently run 5 miles. Also my asthma symptoms decreased a lot. The main thing I need to work on now is my time so I can reach the standards of the 75th Ranger Regiment. I also need to start rucking, so could you answer my main question? THANKS
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

You have binocular vision because you're a predator. You have a pair of fangs in your upper row of teeth that over the eons have recessed to the same length as the rest of your teeth (not so with other large, highly intelligent primates: the chimps, baboons, and orangutans, who all possess large fangs for hunting and tearing flesh). Eating meat insofar as humans are concerned is an invented controversy. It has nothing to do with reality, much less with biology.

For eons, Eskimos subsisted on a diet that was 100% meat. They had zero tooth decay, zero cancer, long lifespans, and a generally happier cultural disposition than most people on earth. Where we run into trouble today, is with all the crap that passes itself off as "meat" -transfat loaded and injection-saturated hamburger patties down at the local fast food joint. That's where obesity, clogged arteries, and heart attacks find their genesis.

As to a Ranger's ruck weight, that's probably one of the things that's stayed pretty consistant over half a century regardless of the war, operation, etc. I'd guess 80-90 lbs.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

RAIDER wrote:@IEDmagnet For every unhealthy vegan you find, I can find at least ten unhealthy meat eaters. I said ORGINAL diet, like during Adam and Eve's time....Genesis 1:29 states: "See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food." BEFORE the great flood, God only wanted men to eat fruits and grains. So Jesus feeding the people was AFTER the flood. But anyway, can you answer my question? THANKS
Even the Catholic Church acknowledges evolution (albiet as started by God and proof of his continued presence).

I have heard Religion used to explain all sorts of scientifically unsupported facts, vegans somehow being healthier than someone who has a proper well thought out diet that supports thier fitness goals...this is a first.

Look here's the deal a liscensed personal trainer (me) just pretty much told you that in his experience training world class athletes (Rangers) he's seen a vegan diet be detrimental to the health of the individuals and mission accomplishment. If you're going to use religious texts to try and disprove hard scientific fact and first hand experience not much I can do for you.

Questions:

1. How many amino acids make up a full protien?

2. Are plant protiens full protiens?

3. Can you build or maintain muscle with incomplete protiens?

As far as answering your question. This question has been asked before (or a permutation of it). I'll give you the long answer: Start LIGHT, for SHORT DISTANCES, at A SLOW PACE. Especially since your diet will more likely retard muscle development and your asthma means you have to be careful and develop what you need slowly so you don't have a medical set back. What you use for weight isn't that important. Bulk will make the weight more realistic. One hundred pound (I carried one that heavy on mission a time or two) rucks aren't compact objects that fit close to the center line of your body like a ruck filled with weight plates. A lot of rucking involves having the core strength to manage a heavy load that sits further from your centerline than comfortable. As hard as smoking along during a roadmarch can be moving with one in the woods is the real test of your core.

This last isn't advice it's a warning you will not address Rangers or Veterans or even your fellow "hopefuls" on this board with the stupid @ sign...this isn't Twitter or Reddit or God forbid Facebook. You will never ever use that in Military writing and we don't use it here it's direspectful and lazy.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

You know, I'm somewhat of a living testimony too. 6 IEDs, 80% disability, shredded lungs from crap I breathed in while deployed, still running (albeit slower) and upper body/core work five days a week... I've gained 40 pounds of muscle and I'm running the Tough Mudder in October. All the while I am eating as much meat as possible.

Rangertough has provided you awesome advice, I am exiting the thread respectfully. Airborne.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

man_on_mission40
Embryo

Post by man_on_mission40 »

Dear Raider:

I'm neither a Ranger, nor have I got my option 40 in hand yet (soon to be rectified) - however, at the ripe old age of 36, I too am training for RASP. I would like to reiterate what the Rangers have said without delving into the metaphysical realm, no disrespect. There is a reason why wolves, sharks, and most larger predators for that matter subsist largely on meat. Essentially, if you want to build the muscles of a predator, you have to eat like one. I'm not saying disregard your need for veg or plant derived vitamins and minerals - even animals in the wild will eat dirt, rocks, tree bark, grass etc. to get the nutrients they need. All I'm saying is, high quality animal protein is as good as it's gonna get. Not everyone is a Ranger, or even a member of the uniformed services for that matter, so comparing professional athletes to full-time warriors is apples to oranges. An example: I joined the Marines Corps at 31, went into boot at 173 (not fat) and came out at 150 (like a stick of beef jerky). The simple fact was my muscles shrank, and even though my cardio was through the roof, my muscles still atrophied somewhat due to not enough protein. When I got out of boot it was back to eating as normal, including supplements and weights. Warriors are not normal people who lead normal lives - the pace you will have to maintain for days, weeks will wear you down without the benefit of red meat (or any meat for that matter) - my suggestion is you listen to the advice of those who are in the know.

As far as rucking goes, almost anyone can carry a heavy load for as long as they have to, but are they willing to force themselves to do it when they have an easy out clause (meaning in training, not in a real life scenario). Just put a lot of rocks in a ruck until it feels almost too heavy for comfort and put it on your back, pack a couple granola bars and a canteen and walk until you feel tired, then keep walking for another hour, turn around and walk back. Remember that weight is all your gear PLUS the soldier next to you who caught one in the leg. Put you heart into it and you could ruck to the moon with the world on your back. Keep up the good work, and know when to take good advice.

Best regards,

A Well-Meaning Old Man
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

Having canines doesn't mean much. Even Camels and Horses have canines but if I remember correctly they don't eat meat, correct me if I'm wrong.Just look at our jaw types....Harbivores-Expanded angle...Humans-Expanded angles. Omnivores jaws if at all barely go side to side. Herbivores jaws go side to side just like us humans. Omnivores don't chew their food, but take a wild guess at who does.......Herbivores and Humans sure do. I can do this all day. Even Mike Tyson is a vegan now saying "I wish I was born this way". Lots of pro athletes are going vegan(at least during game season).
Being a vegan is much healthier overall, and it can CURE diseases! This is my last hope to cure my asthma so I can enlist in the Army with an Option 40 contract. It helped many others cure their asthma, and it's gonna cure mine.
RAIDER
Embryo

Post by RAIDER »

Here's the thing, I pretty much have no other choice but to go vegan. If I want to cure my asthma, I have to do it. So far being a vegetarian has only helped me. My physical fitness has shot up. Going from the normal two miles painful runs, to a more comfortable five mile run. Not to mention I'm STRONGER too. I hope you know that eating meat a lot gives you TOO much protein which is BAD for you. I'll answer those first three questions tomorrow, I have to go.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”