3.6% raise to VA disability compensation

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Looon
Ranger

3.6% raise to VA disability compensation

Post by Looon »

What a crock of shit. They need to cut it, not fucking raise it.

We are doomed as a nation.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: 3.6% raise to VA disability compensation

Post by Baseplate »

Cut it? Crazy talk. Maybe the VA should go back to the way it was in the 60s
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Are we sure this isn't just the annual raise for the '04 Congressional vote to match retirement pay and disability pay over 10 years? ie; in 2014, retired Vets will get 100% retirement and 100% disability.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Kamahito wrote:
Looon wrote:What a crock of shit. They need to cut it, not fucking raise it.

We are doomed as a nation.
Ok so I just have to ask... how do you come to that conclusion? These are people (for the most part) who were critically injured serving this country. Often times many of the injuries were caused by some stupid choice that the command made. (Such as broken backs from being dropped in too high wind speed conditions and below AGL.) I was blown up myself and I have 4 metal plates and 28 screws in the side of my head and deal with grand mal seizures several times a month and severe head aches thanks to that injury. Not to mention the fact that I used to speak 5 languages and now I can only speak one and parts of others. (Not nearly enough to be considered fluent.) Now do you honestly feel as if the compensation that I receive should be cut? That is my workman's comp. Now aside from that I actually donate my 100% disability and 100% CRSC to different organizations (Minus the costs of cab fares every month) because with a ride I can still work. But what about the people who were not like me and were not considered a "Highly skilled technician" upon their unexpected departure from the military?

*EDIT* also yes I can work, but let me throw you another part there. Do you know how seizures affect the body? Would you like to show up in a suit and try to do a professional job while having to decide between bringing a change of underwear and pants or wearing a diaper? Yeah when you seize out you can void yourself. Do you have any idea how embarassing that is? If it isn't hard enough to keep employed when your coworkers are afraid that you will die. Also I can't take my pain medication and be functional so I just do without. There are moments where the internal pain from my head gets so bad that my eyes will actually tear up and cry. I don't boohoo over it. I suck it up and keep working because I wasn't raised to do any different; however, do you foresee most proud rangers being able to be seen in that capacity around other people in a place of business?
Just an FYI for you you: I am totally disabled from my injuries sustained in service. You mentioned "broken back". Well I got me one of those too.

The VA already has a system in place where they can cut off ALL medical treatment to everyone that is not rated at 50% service connection and above. Meaning everyone below 50% can be totally denied.....forever, if the funds run out.

The funds are already gone, but it's just taking everyone that's blind or ignorant to not see it.

They need to cut the entire fed budget to include ALL veteran benefits across the board at least 20% to start. They need to FIRE at least 20% of federal employees to start. Then those that are left need to take a pay cut by at least 20% to start.

Our country is beyond broke.

Everyone wants cuts except when they are personally affected. "cut from over there, but don't cut my shit". It all needs to be cut.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Geez man you not only want to cut my benes but you want to get me fired too? Are you going to feed my kid? Or can I just come to your house and live?
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

What the gov't needs to do is re-evaluate some of the cases. I know a lot of guys who are simply getting something for nothing when it comes to their disabilities. Just because your toe hurts because you broke it in high school but claimed it anyway doesn't mean you should get a couple hundred a month for it.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Though this was meant as humor, it is dead on. Watch the video from Colbert.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... lready.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“With this letter, Congress is sending our troops a clear message: that we can take for granted that service members are willing to give up more than the rest of us,” Colbert said.

America’s wealthiest certainly can’t be the ones to sacrifice, Colbert said. “We’re not used to it,” he said. “I have never given up anything in my life.”
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Kamahito wrote:Looon our retirements, health insurance, etc are not benefits. They are entitlements. We signed contracts when we joined that guaranteed us those things so I am sorry but if you want them to cut something cut it from the people that never did anything for it. Hell cut aid to foreign countries and use that to re-coup the difference in what we are getting paid. Vets should never be forgotten. There are too many people in this country that litterally receive free handouts for veterans to EVER have to give up what they have.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

That's not even the problem. The problem is that the ENTIRE federal govt is bloated and broke. They are all addicted to spending more than they take in, Dems and the Republicans.

In the next few years, the govt regardless of the amount of money they take in, will not be able to keep up with just the interest on the debt. Our economy is going to totally collapse in the next few years and when the shit finally hits the fan, I don't think nobody will hear them when anyone says "don't cut my shit".

What's really fucking sad, is that everyone to included the govt and you and me can see it coming.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could tax 100% of the US population 100% of their gross income, to include all businesses large and small, and they still couldn't get rid of the debt.

I would rather see them get their shit together than for them to raise my shit.

Edited to add: Every time a "raise" gets added, it's with borrowed money. You don't see any problem with that?!?!

Any private company that's ran their business in a similar fashion has collapsed in on itself. Their employees paid in and were promised certain benefits too. But in the end they didn't get shit because there was nothing left to get.

Funny money only lasts so long.

And I didn't join the Army to become a Ranger and to put my life on the line for benefits. I did it because it was my duty. It's a privilege, not a right, to collect my disability. I consider myself fortunate. In the end, my country don't owe me shit. And the end is coming.

While everyone is fighting like hyena's over scraps from a rotting corpse, they are ignorant to the fact that it is all about to come crashing down.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990

Return to “Post Service Issues”