"Veteran" Listed on TX Driver's License

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Caruthers
Ranger

"Veteran" Listed on TX Driver's License

Post by Caruthers »

AUSTIN, TX - During the 82nd legislative session, Rep. Jason Isaac (R-Dripping Springs) was successful in passing legislation that will allow veterans to add an endorsement to their Texas driver's license. House Bill 1514 will help honorably discharged veterans of the United States Armed Forces more easily prove their status.

Rep. Isaac commented, "I have many veterans in my family, and it was recently brought to my attention that they often must carry their discharge form (DD-214) with them at all times in order to prove their status. Many businesses, organizations, and events provide certain benefits to this honorable group of citizens and it seems unnecessary that this cumbersome form is the only proof of service that they currently have. Adding a small endorsement to a veteran's driver's license is a common sense solution to this issue."

The bill take effect on September 1st, but because the Department of Public Safety (DPS) will need to establish and approve rules as well as develop software for the new license, it may not be available until several months later. DPS is already working on the implementation of the bill and veterans across the state are welcome to call Rep. Isaac's office or request to join his email newsletter list for updates on the progress of the license.

When the development is complete, veterans will simply have to present proof of honorable service at the DPS office when they renew their license in order to have the endorsement added.

Rep. Isaac continued, "My hope is that this will not only make day to day life more convenient for veterans, but also cut down on instances of fraud in which non-veterans seek benefits reserved for those who have bravely served our country. Although no license, tax exemption, or benefit can ever repay the debt owed to our veterans, I hope these efforts are a small token of appreciation for their service."

Allen Bergeron

City of Austin

Veterans Consultant

(512)974-3459

The Marine Corps taught me about physical, mental and yes spiritual courage, team work, and the absolute virtue of the human being's great adventure
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
Silverback
Ranger

Re: "Veteran" Listed on TX Driver's License

Post by Silverback »

Great...guys in Texas like being on lists. NRA list, Veteran List.... :shock:
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Oregon also identifies Veterans on the Drivers Licence if you bring your DD 214 wto DMV when renewing your licence. I just found this out when I renewed my licence last week. I don't know how long they've done this or if there are any other benefits other than being IDed as a Vet. It kinda made up for having to bring my Birth Certificate and Social Security Card to prove I'm not a camel jocky with a bomb, or a Mexican with a ton of weed.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Georgia lists it too, plus your license doesn't have to be renewed until you turn 65.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Rangerguru wrote:Georgia lists it too, plus your license doesn't have to be renewed until you turn 65.
And it's free.

By the way, apparently they have changed the 65 thing. If you go to get one now, I think it is either 4 or 6 years.

I always have fun at the airport explaining why my DL doesn't expire until 2034....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Arkansas also implemented this a couple months ago. The word "Veteran" will be placed below the individuals picture and will be free to first-time licenses and renewals.
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08

Return to “Post Service Issues”