"Concurrent receipt"

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

PocketKings
Ranger

Re: "Concurrent receipt"

Post by PocketKings »

Those are the rules, unfortunately. Biggest bunch of bullshit there is.

I ran the numbers after I broke my back. If I punched out after 4 years and got my VA disability versus staying in and getting retirement with a 'concurrent receipt' pay cut, the math didn't add up. It was better for me to get out and do something else.

Now, that wasn't the reason I left, but it was on the table.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

STG wrote:Thanks, Ranger PocketKings.

I suspected as much, but I lack experience in this area (I thankfully separated with no issues or disability). I wanted to check on this via ArmyRanger.com, as I thought there might be a chance my dad was just getting jerked around by the system.

"Biggest bunch of bullshit there is" indeed. It's just wrong on so many levels.
This has been going on a very long time. That is the reason for CRSC, CRSC skirts the concurrent receipt problem. Check this out.

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/crsc/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

IF I were him the 1st thing I would do is reapply for Agent Orange. AO is all the new rage through the VA and he could very well end up with a 60 or 70% service connection
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Just got out of a VA benefits brief while I am transitioning out of the Army....50% is the cutoff so if he can get re-evaluated and submit for an increase to 50%, he'll receive 100% retirement pay as well as his disability. 40% and below get it taken out.

Agreed. It's bullshit.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Also earlier this year congress mandated the VA to put all Agent Orange claims to the front of the line. 18 VISNs across the country are only working on AO claims until the end of October so the turn around time should be quick, which is a very relevant term where that VA is concerned.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
AntonA2W
Ranger

Post by AntonA2W »

Theres a couple bills in congress now to alleviate the "Veterans Tax" on concurrent receipt, but the best one so far, and that has a possible chance, due to sponsor support is HR 333. But, its all up to the politicians to take care of us and not line their pockets, guess who'll probably win.
"...Fuck it all and Fuckin no regrets..."

God Bless Dementia

1/75, A2W, 11Jul93-18Nov94 (started day 1 of a 34 day nap)
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

AntonA2W wrote:Theres a couple bills in congress now to alleviate the "Veterans Tax" on concurrent receipt, but the best one so far, and that has a possible chance, due to sponsor support is HR 333. But, its all up to the politicians to take care of us and not line their pockets, guess who'll probably win.
Actually it would be more accurate to call it a "Retiree tax" or "Longevity penalty", because only retiree's suffer from this problem.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

It's the stupidest rule there is. Getting hurt on AD and sticking it out 20+ are two totally different things. I think it's one of the biggest insults to military folks out there.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Re: "Concurrent receipt"

Post by Silverback »

PocketKings wrote:It's the stupidest rule there is. Getting hurt on AD and sticking it out 20+ are two totally different things. I think it's one of the biggest insults to military folks out there.
I cannot say this enough. It is not unfair to "Military folks" it is a slap in the face of retirees.

Sent by Droid
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Re: Re:

Post by PocketKings »

Silverback wrote:
PocketKings wrote:It's the stupidest rule there is. Getting hurt on AD and sticking it out 20+ are two totally different things. I think it's one of the biggest insults to military folks out there.
I cannot say this enough. It is not unfair to "Military folks" it is a slap in the face of retirees.

Sent by Droid
Correct. That's what I meant, didn't think it through. I guess retirees are all 'military folks' but military folks aren't all retirees.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “Post Service Issues”