VA Claims

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Baseplate
Ranger

VA Claims

Post by Baseplate »

I have made it known that I work for the VA. A few months ago I was given a rundown on VA claims and how to better navigate the system from a dude who used to work in the comp and pen section of the VA. I think it is pretty good info for a PTSD claim, use it as you wish. I edited this to take out some of the procedural items that don't apply to the veteran but other than that it is in its original form.
__________________________________________________________________________________

The Stressor Letter

This is the single most important factor in obtaining disability for the combat veteran. After the claim has been filed, usually within 30 to 60 days, he/she will receive a letter from the VA stating that the VA has received their claim for PTSD. Then he/she will be asked to submit a stressor letter VA Form 21-0781. This is a written record of combat experiences which he/she felt were life threatening or caused him/her to display symptoms of PTSD. The VA will also note that they understand how difficult this can be for some vets (thinking about war experiences and writing them down). And for many this is difficult. Some can't write well. And many just don't want to think in detail about their war experience.
What to include in the stressor letter
1. Name, Rank service number dates of time in war zoneBegin with his/her war service. Do not mention time spent in the US. Many veterans ramble on about stateside service, and this has nothing to do with PTSD, if his/her MOS was something other than combat related (supply, motor transport, ect.) but he/she did not serve in their MOS mention it here because the VA turn down the claim unless they prove they were in combat. If they were in Special Forces or Recon, ect., don’t go into any detail about stateside training.
2. Was the veteran wounded?If they were wounded include dates, If possible, and number of times wounded. This refers to wounds which were treated by medics, corpsmen, or doctors for which they received a purple heart and are a matter of record. If the veteran has malaria or any type of malaria fever and were treated for it, mention it also, if they believe it will be in their med records.
3. If the veteran killed the enemy: Include the times the veteran actually saw the enemy and killed them. Be specific if possible. Don't say something like (my outfit killed 53 NVA in the firefight). This is too general. State what the veteran were doing when the enemy was killed and how it affected him/her. ( I kept firing and I could see them falling as they ran toward us).
4. If the veteran saw Americans DieMany combat vets lost close friends in combat. For some vets remembering names is difficult, but this will definitely help the claim if the veteran can remember the approximate date and names of people in their outfit killed while they were there. If someone killed was their best friend, mention it and how it affected them. The names will be checked by the VA against KIA lists. If friends were wounded bad enough to be shipped home, the veteran should mention this and include names if possible. (This is all verification the he was in combat. Try to use real names instead of nicknames at all times.)
5. If the veteran saw civilian deadIn villages, the jungle, or other places. This was traumatic to many combat troops, especially if they had to handle bodies. Seeing dead children often has long range effects on combat vets.
6. If the veteran was on body detail Or otherwise handled the bodies of dead Americans, either in the field or the rear where the bodies were stripped for shipment home. This often causes extreme trauma to those who handled the bodies.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is more so I am going to break it up in to parts
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: VA Claims

Post by Baseplate »

7. Times they did not think they would survive: Incidents when the veteran though he/she would not be alive the next day help with a PTSD claim. When they had given up hope and thought for sure they would be killed with no chance of survival (describe in detail)
8. All incidents of combat: Small arms fire, fire fights, mortar and rocket attacks, booby traps, mines, artillery, ect. Each time they were in a life threatening situation whether they were able to return fire or not. (Walking through mine fields, walking point, ect)
9. Names of operations Remembering names of operations or sweeps can be helpful because the military often left much info out of service records. Some combat troops have very complete service records. Others have had records lost or destroyed, or info was never entered. Any info the veteran can remember about field operations is verification of combat roles.
10. How their life has changed because of the war: Have the veteran state their problems today because of their war service. Divorce, substance abuse, nightmares, paranoia, trouble holding jobs, lack of feeling, ect. If they have been in therapy or other treatment, have the vteran mention this. Stress the negative side of their life. Mention nothing good that has happened to them. Don't say they get along with people and are happy most of the time. Stress that life is a constant struggle for them due to combat service.
These 10 points will help the veteran write a stressor letter which will have a good chance of passing the VA rating board. When writing about combat, write how it affected them personally. Don't write stuff like….(We sat around and ate dinner then the sergeant told us a story about his wife and then Joe tried to steal my beans) To many vets go into details that are not important. Begin each segment of combat with the combat and how it affected them. ( I was scared. I thought I was going to die). Many veterans are afraid to mention certain situations when they killed people for fear of charges being brought against them. This will not happen. Killings during combat are for survival. The government would have to prove they killed on purpose without just cause, and in the case of enemy troops and civilians, this is not possible.
Many of these 10 points overlap with each other. The veteran must try to put them in some kind of order. Think about what they want to say for a few weeks before writing it down. Then try to have the veteran arrange their thought in some kind of order. The best solution is to be brief and to the point. This is difficult for many veterans and causes them to not to follow through with a claim. The best average length is not more than 4 pages single spaced
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

WHAT COMES NEXT: THE COMP EXAM
The psychiatrist is impartial. If the veteran shows symptoms of PTSD, it will be reported without any favor toward the VA. SO the veteran needs to relax and answer questions to the best of his/her knowledge. Always stress the negative side of their life…never the positive. Just like the end of the stressor letter. They can do this and still tell the truth just by avoiding the positive. Here are some thing NOT to say at a Comp Exam:
1. My life is OK If it was they wouldn't be here
2. I sometimes hear voices Hearing voices can lead to a diagnosis of schizophrenia, and the claim for PTSD may be rejected
3. I am happily married It has often been decided that having PTSD automatically means an unhappy marriage. It can but not always
4. I love my job. I have been there for 20 years. If they have managed to keep one job, it may be determined that the veteran interacts normally and does not have PTSD. They can have one job and be miserable. It is a matter of survival.
5. They have lots of friends Never admit that he/she has lots of friends. Chances are they don't if they are suffering from PTSD. At least not like the friends they made in combat situations.
6. Don't threaten the doctor. Some vets scream, yell and threaten to kill the doctor in an attempt to show signs of PTSD. 99% of the time this is an act and won’t help the claim.
Next will be a rating decision by the regional office this takes at least 2 months and usually it is more, although the VA is getting better at turnaround times. There is just too much paper work for too few people to do.
Here are the percentages of disability with the compensation rate for a single person with no dependants as of 2010
0% $0
Neurotic symptoms which may somewhat adversely affect relationships with others but do not cause impairment of working ability
10% $123 per month
The psychoneurotic disorder produces mild social and industrial impairment
30% $376 per month
The symptoms result in such reduction in initiative, flexibility, efficiency, and reliability levels as to produce definite industrial impairment. There will be definite impairment in the ability to establish or maintain effective and wholesome relationships with people.
50% $770 per month
The veterans ability to establish or maintain effective or favorable relationships with people is considerably impaired. By reason of psychoneurotic symptoms the reliability, flexibility and efficiency levels are so reduced as to result in considerable industrial impairment
70% $1228 per month
The disability severely impairs the veterans ability to establish and maintain effective or favorable relationships with people. The psychoneurotic symptoms are of such severity and persistence that there is sever impairment in the ability to obtain and retain employment
100% $2673 per month
The attitudes of all contacts except the most intimate are so adversely affected as to result in virtual isolation in the community. Total incapacitating psychoneurotic symptoms bordering on gross repudiation of reality with disturbed though or behavioral processes associated with almost all daily activities such as fantasy, confusion, panic, and explosions of aggressive energy resulting in profound retreat from mature behavior will be present. He or she will be demonstrably unable to obtain or retain employment.
hang it, FIRE!!!!

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

110% $3,000 per month
Veteran has a penis growing out of their forehead.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Kamahito wrote: We have a MSG who has been waiting for his rating since July and I have been waiting since October.
Sounds like you are still active?

You don't deal with the VA until after you separation.

Ive been waiting over two years for my current claim. I was denied and filed an appeal, had the hearing over a year ago and am waiting to hear the decision on the appeal. Every time over the last 8 months that I have called the VA asking what the status is, I am told it's in review..........

Im posting my current experience to give you an idea of the what the wait times are like.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Kamahito wrote:
panthersix wrote:110% $3,000 per month
Veteran has a penis growing out of their forehead.

Lol that would be a strange occurrence.

@Baseplate- hey what do you think of this DES pilot? We have alot of guys here that are getting caught in a very long and drawn out wait for their rating. This includes me. How long is it realistically supposed to take to rate a soldier for medical retirement? We have a MSG who has been waiting for his rating since July and I have been waiting since October. Our peblo's tell us that it is supposed to be 6-8 weeks for a VA rating but our BC and Hospital Commanders say that it is supposed to be <60 days for the entire PEB process.

I know very little about the ratings boards on the medical side. I work in mental health. What i do know is that the ratings boards are overflowing with claims and those guys just cannot keep up
hang it, FIRE!!!!

Return to “Post Service Issues”