Victory with the VA

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Re: Victory with the VA

Post by Ranger Ron »

Icepick wrote:I am not bragging, I'm only humbly reporting that I have won a 7 year battle with the VA.
The US government has made good on its oath to this vet.
Good for you! Glad they are taking care of you Brother.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Congrats and I hope you get the back pay to go with it!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Congrats....drain 'em for what they owe you.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

So what the fuck did you get?

I just started my battles with the VA (42 years late) five months ago and have been awarded 30% for PTSD, and it's still under consideration on my hearing loss, and I was denied on my skin cancer (even though my dermatologist says they're full of shit). So even though I got a speedy determination, I disagree with their finding. This really started two and a half years ago when I just wanted some psych counseling and they gave me a priority 9 rating, which means you won't be seen in this lifetime and probably not the next. Now.......fuck 'em...I want it ALL!!!! :evil:
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

The Army gave me 70% when I was retired in 2007, and the VA awarded me 80% in 2009. Took me a little bit, but I guess the Medical Retirement kind of helped. I felt bad that mine went so quick when others were still fighting, but I am glad they got you taken care of.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Congradulations to all 3 of you, you deserved it and now hpoefully they will continue to help.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

The VA is a strange duck to maneuver through. I separated from active duty in 1973 I was told to see the VA as soon as possible, young and stupid, gonna live forever me didn't.

Advance twenty six years and I break an upper dental bridge that the Army put in for me when I was part of a vehicular accident and tried to eat part of the vehicle. My dentist tells me $2600.00 to replace it, Holy Shit time. I called the VA and asked if they would fix it. They sent a small book of paperwork for me to fill out. Two and a half months later I had to take a full physical and nobody even looked at my bridge, said they didn't need to.

Two months later I get an appointment to replace my bridge and get an Evaluation of 10%/10%/10%/10% for my various service connected medical problems. The way they worked that out was for a total of ended up as a 30% total Disability. I didn't question I just wanted to get my bridge replaced.

Three years later they opened up a local VA outpatient clinic and they set me up for an appointment for regular medical care. Two years into my care there the managing nurse told me my disabilities were wrong and advised me to see the County VA Representative (Employed by the County not the VA). He informs me my Disabilities should have been 50%/50%/20%/20% and then proceeded to tell me what we needed to do to correct the problem. It took almost three years to finally get it to where its should have been. By the way, the 50/50/20/20 ends up at 80% but I qualified as unemployable so it then went to 100%.

Based upon the amount of paperwork and appeals we went through I can fully understand why anyone who doesn't have someone assisting them that knows the system can take forever or just give up.

Anyone who can do it and win on there own is a paperwork STUD.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I got denied TBI even though I had a buddy letter from a current USAF JAG officer that picked me up at Womack after I got knocked the fook out on a jump at Sicily DZ. I had the NeuroPsych Eval from the VA Hospital saying I had some minor TBI consistent with being knocked out. Reason for denial, no evidence in my US Army medical file and no record at Womack.

On the bright side, I still have my Drain Bamage!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Witht the VA the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The more you bitch and complain the more of a disability you will get. When you get your 1st disability rating and you think it is low don't just acept it. Find a social worker and demand you be seen for weekly appointments. And just wear them down it may take a while but if you complain enough you can get 100% for the pimples on your ass. Also if your initial rating ins for 30% then they come back and give you another 30% rating for another issue 30 +30 doesnt equal 60 the 2nd 30 is actually 30% of your remaining % so your original 30+(30% of 70) =50 if that makes sense.

When you go to your comp and penn eval don't try and man up for anything. Bitch, moan, complain and even let out some tears if possible. You really need to ham it up at this point have your buddy wheel you in in a wheel chair if you need to. The raters are human and they work on some imiginary scale that only they know what is what. Also if you are above 30% you have free health care within the VA.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Icepick wrote:I stand ready to help anyone in the Ranger community with their claim(s). I have tons of shit on DPG.
So this is why you had the bone to pick with DPG on the earlier thread?
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Icepick wrote:So this is why you had the bone to pick with DPG on the earlier thread?

Yesser
Keep up the good work.
RS 4-78

Return to “Post Service Issues”