20 % Disability

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: 20 % Disability

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Looon wrote:It's a constant battle. I had problems with my knees when I was booted out on a medical. I told them that I had problems with my knees and the Army and the VA ignored me and my knee problem. Over there years since then, I have applied numerous times to get a rating on knees. Every time I was told there wasn't sufficient evidence and was denied.

I had to 'retire' from construction in '04 because I physically couldn't do it no more. All of my issues played apart in my decision, but my knees were the biggest reason. There are times that my wife has to help me up and down off of the fucking toilet. I also take a lot of falls every year due to my knees and my ankles. One of these times I won't get back up.

Fast forward to a two years ago: I reapplied here in Iowa to get a rating on my knees. They denied me again, but this time I filed an appeal and was granted a hearing. Guess fucking what? the evidence was there all along. They either ignored it or just didn't fucking care because they were too lazy to actually go through my file. All of the documentation is there and it is overfuckingwhelming in my favor.

I can barely walk anymore and have a prescribed cane that I use when it gets bad.

I am now waiting to hear what kind of rating they are going to give me on both of my knees. It's taken me 19 years to get to this point, just for my knees.

I don't want or care about the monetary benefits. I just want them to acknowlege that my knees are fucked up from my time in service so I don't have to pay out of pocket if I end having to have surgery in the future.....which I have already been told is highly probable.

Fight, fight, fight.....
If your bad knees and the falling and limping have caused even more damage to hips or ankles make sure you get a doctor to diagnose that the additional problems were most likely caused by the injuries received while in service. I screwed up both of my ankles in service the limping eventually affected my right knee and yes I fall a lot. Last year about this time a fell again, this time directly onto my bad right knee driving my femur directly into the hip socket. My doctor at the VA immediately gave a diagnosis that my hip problem was a direct result of falling due to my already approved service connected knee injury.

Soon I will be receiving a hip replacement through the VA and after completing the physical therapy and recovery the will then replace the knee. Additionally, I hate to admit it but due to not being able to get around very well for more than a few years I put on some much unneeded weight. The VA has a strict policy for joint replacement...BMI has to be under 35. I have achieved that and more and will continue to be a lesser volume man and get back to proper condition.

When I first received my disability rating for the ankle it was 10% but was subsequently raised to 20% for multiple Osteoarthritis joints. Get what you are owed.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Ranger Morrissey
Ranger

Post by Ranger Morrissey »

You need to care about the monetary benefit awards - they're there to try and make up for your lack of "quality of life" - i.e. doing the shit you've always enjoyed doing but can't do now, or at least in the same manner as before... This is the side of Army that we were all to "bulletproof" to even acknowledge when we were younger... The harsh reality is that it's also the one you're the most unprepared for - especially when leaving the service - when it's time to talk to the VA representative that helps to determine your "INITIAL" claim percentage. Although they're mover closer to getting it right the first time - you must really document every ache, pain, splinter, heacache, rash, constipation, case of the shits, etc. The benefits are also tax-free, along with education and job training benefits, too... None of it is due to being a "whiner", only your honorable service - as a Ranger, and afterwards...
Ranger Morrissey
Warrior/Leader/Facilitator/Friend
2/B/2-75, Class 7-80
Rogers Tm, 3rd Ranger Co & S-4, 4th RTB
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

krm375 wrote:Thankyou for the replys, I will got to the VA and DAV to see if they can take care of me. I Hate being a pussy, and I know a lot of guys coming home are worse off than me.
Alright dude, I got my ass chewed by my last 1SG for the exact same statement.

You roadmarched your ass off right?

You jumped a bunch, right?

You did enjoy Ranger games, right?

You didn't go the the aid station like you should have, right?

Who in the fuck is going to take care of you when your shit starts to fall apart? You put your shit on the line, up to and including your life. Get re-evaluated, and take what Uncle Sam gives you. You fucking earned it.

Yes, there are guys who have had worse things happen to them. But YOU need to take care of YOU. No, you are not being a pussy for getting taken care of. It' s just hard to admit. Get over it, and get the help you need brother.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Bravo57 wrote:
krm375 wrote:Thankyou for the replys, I will got to the VA and DAV to see if they can take care of me. I Hate being a pussy, and I know a lot of guys coming home are worse off than me.
Alright dude, I got my ass chewed by my last 1SG for the exact same statement.

You roadmarched your ass off right?

You jumped a bunch, right?

You did enjoy Ranger games, right?

You didn't go the the aid station like you should have, right?

Who in the fuck is going to take care of you when your shit starts to fall apart? You put your shit on the line, up to and including your life. Get re-evaluated, and take what Uncle Sam gives you. You fucking earned it.

Yes, there are guys who have had worse things happen to them. But YOU need to take care of YOU. No, you are not being a pussy for getting taken care of. It' s just hard to admit. Get over it, and get the help you need brother.
I totally agree. There will come a time in your future that you may end up in constant pain. You very well could end up in very bad shape and not realize it until it's too late.

Im only 41 years old and I walk with a cane at times when shit is rally bad. I can't go up and down stairs at all. I can't stand for any length of time anymore and I can't walk very far without causing myself loads of bad fucking pain. My knees and ankles are far worse now than I ever thought they would be. I had no idea that I could be this fucked up. It has caught up to me mostly in the last 3 years.

Just because you may not hurt much now, IT WILL COME AT YOU WITH A VENGENCE IN THE FUTURE. At least it was the case with me.

Don't wait until your wife has to help you up and down off of the toilet before you file a claim. Do it now.

And yes, my wife has to help me on and off of the toilet at times.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Looon wrote:
Bravo57 wrote:
Im only 41 years old and I walk with a cane at times when shit is rally bad. I can't go up and down stairs at all. I can't stand for any length of time anymore and I can't walk very far without causing myself loads of bad fucking pain. My knees and ankles are far worse now than I ever thought they would be. I had no idea that I could be this fucked up. It has caught up to me mostly in the last 3 years.

Just because you may not hurt much now, IT WILL COME AT YOU WITH A VENGENCE IN THE FUTURE. At least it was the case with me.

Don't wait until your wife has to help you up and down off of the toilet before you file a claim. Do it now.

And yes, my wife has to help me on and off of the toilet at times.
You can get a hand rail that goes around the toilet no wall installation. I have a rail on one side and the sink on the other or I would be stuck.
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

I know, to much information, but the Brother needs help. I resemble his situation only 20 years older.
Last edited by al_2ndWolfhounds on March 23rd, 2010, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

BonesC75RVN
Ranger

Post by BonesC75RVN »

Bravo57, Ranger, Listen up. Listen good. I'm one of those who did not want to go to the VA and ask for anything, ever. I waited untill I was 58 (year before last) and my shit got really bad. Then I went. They took # 6 rib, then they removed my right lung. I had some kind of fungus growing on my lung. NOW, I'm a pussy who has a hard time breathing with any kind of excertion. Maybe it would not have been as bad had I gone at 30 or 40, but, nooooo, I was a tough guy. Are you listening? :evil:

By the way, the VA Hospital in Charleston, SC, took very good care of me. There was never any arguments or screwing around after they conducted multiple exams of their own.
BonesC75RVN
Charlie Ranger 75th, RVN 70-71
82nd Airborne, 1/504th, 71-72
Overseas Construction Worker 83-08
"If you ain't standing out here on the edge, you must be just taking up space"
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

BonesC75RVN wrote:Bravo57, Ranger, Listen up. Listen good. I'm one of those who did not want to go to the VA and ask for anything, ever. I waited untill I was 58 (year before last) and my shit got really bad. Then I went. They took # 6 rib, then they removed my right lung. I had some kind of fungus growing on my lung. NOW, I'm a pussy who has a hard time breathing with any kind of excertion. Maybe it would not have been as bad had I gone at 30 or 40, but, nooooo, I was a tough guy. Are you listening? :evil:

By the way, the VA Hospital in Charleston, SC, took very good care of me. There was never any arguments or screwing around after they conducted multiple exams of their own.
Did I miss something? I was telling him to go get checked out now.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
BonesC75RVN
Ranger

Post by BonesC75RVN »

He needs to go NOW. I ramble, that was my point.
BonesC75RVN
Charlie Ranger 75th, RVN 70-71
82nd Airborne, 1/504th, 71-72
Overseas Construction Worker 83-08
"If you ain't standing out here on the edge, you must be just taking up space"
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

choctaw_7 wrote:No doubt, get to the VA and get squared away. After 22 years of doing the grunt thing I had no idea how beat up I was. Got home from A'stan and a buddy of mine, who happened to be a VA counselor, told me to get my ass to the VA. I was having no parts of it, not wanting to be the "pussy" we've been talking about here. Well, he built a hootch in my ass and lived there until I finally gave in and filed. Eight months and several appts. (all over the southeast) later, I was drawing disability compensation. I had no idea the jacked up shape my body was in. I mean there I was at 43 yrs. old humping SE A'stan, blowed up twice, busted ear drum from RPG. Not to mention the other 21 years of being beat and banged around. Til last year I felt pretty good, few aches and pains but nothing I wasn't used to Soldiering through.

Last summer, in my 46th year of living, I started falling part. Back, neck, knees, started having unexplained seizures cracking two teeth, constant ear infections in the bad ear.......the shit will catch up to you with the quickness. Thank God I was already in the VA pipeline or I woulda been up shit creek.

Stop Rangering through it bro. You've done yours, now get yours.

Good luck.
I had the same experience after going to Iraq at age 45. I was lucky to have a buddy in the VA to get me into the system. I paid $2,000 out of pocket for my first surgery with my copay for work's health care.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I've been experimenting with the Atkins diet. Meat and green shit is what I'm trying to stick too. Fall off, get back on, hell I lost 10lbs while on prednisone! Your mileage may differ depending upon your driving habits.

For me, it's about inflamation of the joints. Sugars, pasta, breads, they all feed inflamation.

My experience is similar in that once the damn breaks, the aches and pains are exponential......
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

What is being discussed IS important to each and everyone. When I retired, I got 40% from VA. Now I need to get it updated because I'm falling apart. It just takes time and effort -- but yeah, it is important.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Another little tip worth knowing.

You're not restricted to VA facilities for medical care. You can go to a civilian doctor or private hospital for care under certain circumstances. Those circumstances generally have to be of the "emergency" variety, but that word has a lot of malleability, especially if you have a sympathetic medical staff at your local hospital.

You have to call the VA and get their permission first, since they’re footing the bill. The VA bureaucracy that handles this is the Network Payment Center.

Their toll free number is: 1-888-795-0773

You’ll get an instant decision. There is no bureaucratic processing lag time.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein

Return to “Post Service Issues”