Do we have any Veterans here under Chapter 31?

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Do we have any Veterans here under Chapter 31?

Post by DirtyBlackSocks »

I'm currently enrolled under Chapter 31 - and I keep getting mixed opinions from my Voc. Rehab. counselor and the Financial Aid department at my school.

Money is tight in my family - my wife and I are both full time college students working towards a Master degree and raising a 10 year old son.

When I first entered Voc. Rehab. I was told that I would not be eligible for any FAFSA benefits - after transferring down to a different Voc. Rehab. department and college I was told I can file for FAFSA all I want.

I'm fairly sure I'll be getting a Pell Grant - which basically pays for tuition, books, and whatever is left over gets put into an account for additional spending needs.

Now - under the GI Bill you opt to pay for things how you see fit, but under Chapter 31 tuition and books are covered from the get go.

So I'm wondering, if I'm awarded a Pell Grant - will the money be taken out of the Pell Grant to pay for my tuition and enrollment fee's, or will Chapter 31 still cover that?

My Voc. Rehab. counselor says that any type of education fund you receive as a result of military status has nothing to do with the FAFSA - and so it won't be deducted from a Pell Grant.

Financial aid says the complete opposite on the matter.

Anyone here ever jumped through these hoops before? Concrete answers?
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Do we have any Veterans here under Chapter 31?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I was covered under the Montgomery GI Bill, which sucked, and you could not receive both GI Bill benefits and Pell Grant. Interestingly, the Pell Grant was the exact amount as the Montgomery GI Bill amount and I could have received it and never served a day plus not have had to stick $1200 of my own money. I hope things have changed.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Post by DirtyBlackSocks »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I was covered under the Montgomery GI Bill, which sucked, and you could not receive both GI Bill benefits and Pell Grant. Interestingly, the Pell Grant was the exact amount as the Montgomery GI Bill amount and I could have received it and never served a day plus not have had to stick $1200 of my own money. I hope things have changed.
Ranger Flesh Thorn,

I was three days short of qualifying for my GI Bill when I was medically discharged. That's complete horse shit that a civilian kid from a low income family can waltz in and get identical treatment to some one who serves our country.

I'm not saying everyone doesn't deserve a chance at an education, but what the fuck is going on when our Veterans returning from service get the short end of the stick?

I'll keep updates going on in this thread after I see what's going on with how I qualify, my EFC rating was 0 on the FAFSA - which means by the governments own calculations I have no support coming in in order to complete an education. In other words I am at the top of the list of students who deserve aid based around the system they've put into place.

Maybe it's better for those who get out and find a disability rating through the VA to shoot for Chapter 31 and exhaust their GI Bill after the fact?

I got in touch with a lady in financial aid who used to work with Veterans at the school - and she said at University's they draw from your Pell Grant first, then your Chapter 31 - but at Community Colleges it's the opposite.

That's a third conflicting story now, from the people who are supposed to know what's going on.
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Go look at my post on your "Letters from school" thread.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

By the way, who the fuck is "we" that you refer to in the subject line? I'll bet that your discharge has something along the lines of 5-17 on it.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

If you are under Chapter 31, there is no need to get a PELL grant.

All tuition, fees, and books are paid for. They also pay you a monthly subsistence allowance each month you are enrolled and taking classes.

I am currently in the program. I pay for nothing. I am taking 2 classes which equals a half 'load'. Since I am married with a one minor child at home, they cut me a check each month for another $400 tax free. If I was to take a full 'load' next semester (12 credit hours) my monthly allotment will go up to $800 tax free each month until I finish my college degree.

A grant is govt money. You can't do any two at the same time. PERIOD. if you do, they will penalize you and make you pay it back. Just like you can't use the GI bill if you go the Chapter 31 route. It's one or the other. PERIOD.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando

Return to “Post Service Issues”