Spine Trashed from Jumping?

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

panthersix
Ranger

Re: Spine Trashed from Jumping?

Post by panthersix »

But the baths don't work? :o
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Tinkerbell wrote:It may sound cheesy, but in my particular case yoga helped a lot. Started doing flexi-cises a few years ago, 15-20 min a day and I don't feel like a wreck anymore.

I broke my back T-7 and 3 months later kept jumping… Anyway, I have a double scoliosis of my cervical spine and three vertebrae of my cervical spine that are deteriorating. I also have degenerative arthritis of the T-7 I broke. I’m a mess too. I have been working out continuously and it kept the pain away. Lately starting about 1 year ago I have been having relapses on my MS. Had one last July, one in September, one in December, and one February. As a result I stopped working out 7 months ago and the pain ALL over started again. It has been suggested that I try yoga. Although I haven’t started yoga (I’m slowly working out again) many folks agree with yoga.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

My back's been bad the last 2 weeks. I've been DVRing the 'Namaste Yoga' series on Fit TV to try to get some flexibility going so my wife can adjust it.

I get these periods (2-3 weeks) every year where the back takes a turn south.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

My t-spine has spurs on it from what the x-rays showed and the vertabrae are now rectangular instead of square, compressed and flattened out. One home remedy that seems to help me is rolling around on a medicine ball, not the leather ones, but the ones like a basketball, I guess a basketball would work too, but it cracks my t-spine and seems to decompress it a bit. I have one at home and one at the office that I lay back on and roll up and down on......
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

panthersix wrote:My t-spine has spurs on it from what the x-rays showed and the vertabrae are now rectangular instead of square, compressed and flattened out. One home remedy that seems to help me is rolling around on a medicine ball, not the leather ones, but the ones like a basketball, I guess a basketball would work too, but it cracks my t-spine and seems to decompress it a bit. I have one at home and one at the office that I lay back on and roll up and down on......
Ranger Panthersix,
My doctors have confirmed bone spurs in my upper spine too, dang they can really be annoying especially when they are involved in the vertebrae that is locked up.

I have two 60cm exercise balls (they suggest 60cm for taller individuals) that I use when I have days where my range of motion is almost nil for me to stretch on. I've also found using them as chairs at work, home, when on the computer forces me to have better posture and in turns strengthens my core muscles, if you have not used one may want to check it out.

In regards to your earlier post.....the baths....ah maybe if one bathes in my salsa (recipe follows) it may be a remedy for gw :?: I'm posting the recipe in case anyone finds they want to try bathing in salsa out for fun, if anyone tries it let us know if it was fun.

Here's my fresh salsa recipe that I'm asked to make and bring to potlucks and I never have any left to take home:

What You Need
4 large tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tomatillo, diced (optional- I myself don't put in tomatillos)
salt to taste
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (serrano, habanero also work well)

What You Do
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, tomatillo, and salt to taste. Mix well. Add 1/2 of the jalapeno pepper, and taste. If you desire your salsa with more of a kick, add the remaining 1/2 jalapeno. If you are satisfied with the salsa's heat, do not add the remaining jalapeno pepper. Cover the salsa, and chill until ready to serve.

Many times I make 2 or 3 times the amount since it disappears quickly.

I also put it in the freezer to chill it since certain male relatives and me too are impatient and want to eat it right away....... no worries I have forgotten and left it in the freezer where it has frozen a bit and then I put it in the fridge to thaw and it still tastes great.

Hint- I find that the salsa is best when the flavors of the ingredients have all mixed together well by letting the salsa sit for a few hours and chill.... also it's great the next day when it has sat overnight in the fridge.

Enjoy, Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

probably tastes best out of a belly button....:O
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Tater Nuts wrote:
panthersix wrote:probably tastes best out of a belly button....:O
I find it hard to get the cornchips pieces out afterwards but it does cut down on dirty dishes. :lol:
It's easier to get to the corn chips if she has a beer fart or two.... :mrgreen:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

panthersix wrote:
Tater Nuts wrote:
panthersix wrote:probably tastes best out of a belly button....:O
I find it hard to get the cornchips pieces out afterwards but it does cut down on dirty dishes. :lol:
It's easier to get to the corn chips if she has a beer fart or two.... :mrgreen:
Ranger Panthersix and Ranger Tater Nuts,
you owe me a new keyboard :lol: thanks for the good belly laugh. Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

A new keyboard - $30
two Rangers making an ass of themselves - cost of internet service.... :oops:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

panthersix wrote:

A new keyboard - $30
two Rangers making an ass of themselves - cost of internet service.... :oops:
Ranger Panthersix,

so in ArmyRanger.com lingo does cost of internet service = priceless? :) Jenny
Jenny

Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Chiron wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:It may sound cheesy, but in my particular case yoga helped a lot. Started doing flexi-cises a few years ago, 15-20 min a day and I don't feel like a wreck anymore.

I broke my back T-7 and 3 months later kept jumping… Anyway, I have a double scoliosis of my cervical spine and three vertebrae of my cervical spine that are deteriorating. I also have degenerative arthritis of the T-7 I broke. I’m a mess too. I have been working out continuously and it kept the pain away. Lately starting about 1 year ago I have been having relapses on my MS. Had one last July, one in September, one in December, and one February. As a result I stopped working out 7 months ago and the pain ALL over started again. It has been suggested that I try yoga. Although I haven’t started yoga (I’m slowly working out again) many folks agree with yoga.
Ranger Chiron,
If I may suggest have you looked into drinking water that has a PH level that is in the alkaline range, I find it helps me when I ache all over and my range of motion is next to nil.

http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/a ... _list.html

pH-inding the Right Balance

At the first mention of acidity and alkalinity, eyes glaze over. After all, these terms sound somewhat scientific, and vague memories of junior high science class and litmus paper changing color may come to mind. However, the balance between acidity and alkalinity, and its importance, can be explained quite simply and should be explained. This balance is essential to good health.

The Basics

Every solution is either acidic or alkaline. (Alkaline is often called "base.") These solutions can be anything from body fluids, such as stomach acid and blood, to beverages, such as wine or coffee, to sea water. Acidity and alkalinity are measured in pH (potential of hydrogen). The pH scale goes from 0 to 14, with 0 the most acidic, and 14 the most alkaline. The pH of stomach acid is 1, wine is 3.5, water is 7 (neutral), venous blood is 7.35, arterial blood is 7.4, sea water is 8.5, and baking soda is 12. Ideally, our pH should stay on the alkaline side: between 7.35 and 7.45.

Keeping our acidity and alkalinity balanced means regulating the hydrogen ion concentration in our body fluids. An acid is a molecule or ion (an ion is an atom that carries a positive or negative electric charge) that can contribute a hydrogen ion to a solution. An alkalizing substance is one that contains a molecule or ion that combines with hydrogen ions to remove them from a solution_it neutralizes acids and acts as a buffer.

According to well-known naturopath Paavo Airola in his book "How to Get Well", Acidosis, or over-acidity in the body tissues, is one of the basic causes of diseases, especially the arthritic and rheumatic diseases."

If you are interested I provided the link where this is discussed, I'm a believer if I drink a bottle of water in the alkaline ph range PH over 7.35 I feel much better.

Jenny
Jenny

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Where do you get alkaline water?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

panthersix wrote:Where do you get alkaline water?
http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-eatin ... water/6808

Here's a link that discusses the ph level of different bottled water (for better health use those with higher pH in range 7.5 to 10)

I have a health store I go to that has one of the water ionizers discussed at pH 10 below, I get it for $1.50 a gallon, you might want to see if there is a store in your area that sells alkaline, ionized water, also the companies that make these water ionizers sell them but they cost I believe 2 or 3 thousand. And a local grocery chain here in the NW sells the one listed at pH 9.5 and I buy it often.

Water with a pH of 4.
Penta Water, Distilled Water, Purified Water, Aquafina (made by Pepsi), Dasani (made by Coke), Glaceau Fruit Water, Le Blue Water, Metro Mint Water, Pellegrino (made by Nestle), Perrier (made by Nestle), Smart Water, and Vitamin Water.

Water with a pH of 4.5.
Reverse Osmosis Water and Ice Age Glacial Water.

Water with a pH of 5.
Appalachian Springs Water and Poland Springs Water (made by Nestle)

Water with a pH of 5.5.
Crystal Springs Water, Dannon Spring Water, Pure American Water.

All of the above bottled waters have an acidic ph, which have pH levels that do not support better health,

the ones below start at a netrual pH then go into alkaline pH range which research, testing is showing supports better health especially since the American diet is mostly made up of food in the acidic pH range of 1 to 7.

Water with a pH of 7.
Arrowhead Water, Crystal Geyser Water, Deep Park Water (made by Nestle), Eldorado Springs Water, Supermarket Spring Water.

Water with a pH of 7.5.
Biota water, Fiji Water, Whole Foods 365 Water, Zephyrhills Water (made by Nestle)

Water with a pH of 7.9.
Eden Springs Water.

Water with a pH of 8.
Deep Rock Water, Evamore Water.

Water with a pH of 9.5
Essentia (sold by Fred Meyer's (Pac NW chain) in Organic section), I buy this one often!

Water with a pH of 10
Filtered Ionized Alkaline Water you make with your own Water Ionizer.

The advantage of ionized alkaline wateris two fold. (go to the link above to see the advantages)

Cost: Less then 2 cents a day for all the water you can drink, high antioxidant, high alkaline and micro-clustered water for more available oxygen for energy.

Hope this helps. Jenny
Last edited by Jenny Lynn on June 19th, 2009, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jenny

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Too many choices, make a recommendation please....two maybe three, then I'll google the crap out them to track them down here in NC!

Thanks!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “Post Service Issues”