Careers for Rangers

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Careers for Rangers

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I have read numerous statements, even heard a few about, "What can a Ranger do except blow shit up and kill people"? Listen, Men....this is utter horseshit. Let me tell you what a Civilian Employer will see and what he won't see.
He will see.
* An extraordinarily disciplined man who does not buckle under pressure.
* A man who will win when faced with a challenge.
* Straight Talk and Straight truth.
* Exceptional eye contact and confidence.
* No fear whatsoever.
* One who does not want things to stay status quo.
* One who does NOT fear change.
* One who will see "average" and try to improve it.
He won't see.
* A typical backstabbing rumor control netwrok putz.
* A slacker. God knows he/she has those by the dozens.
* A liar....he has those, too.
* Someone easily corruptable
* Someone who will cheat or steal
* Someone he has to explain things to every time he issues an order.

Now, lets get real. Not everyone likes being a civilian or for that matter even likes civilians. The other side of that coin is this. They are weak, it makes you look dynamic and driven. They are dishonest...you are not. They are fat, overpaid corportate burdens who EXPECT a handout. You are willing to work for what you get.
Anyone who has been a Ranger has a resume from HELL. What you don't have are some of the social graces that may help some chick or golf bum land a job. What can you do.
SALES: Ah, Hell no, I hate salesman! OK, why not be an honest salesman, it works. Real Estate, Insurance, Investments, and you can find 300,000 things that people buy from stores....who sells it to them? You may hate sales people but you buy from them none the less. Don't you? You ever thought, I could do this better than he or she could?
LAW ENFORCEMENT: Yea, I know...tough job, bad hours, lousy pay, dangerous work. And this is different than what you do as a Ranger...HOW? Rangers make Law Enforcement look good. Many examples on these pages.
TEACHER: Yea, I know, all the above cept, legally liable. Bullshit, GOOD teachers are hard to find...it can be done well.
MANUFACTURING REP: Here is the deal on this. When shit goes bad for a company's product and they have to send a rep, do they want to send some pudgy, long haired hippy type pinko OR a stand up straight, talk straight, get the problem resolved type. Think about it.
True Story: A buddy of mine walked into a Oil Company Safety Department and applied for the job of Safety Instructor. The man doing the hiring said, you have no experience. My friend said, are you nuts???? My last 8 years have been nothing BUT trying to convince idiot cowboys to stay alive when they were shot at, jumped out of plances, etc....and I instructed them how to do it. And what's more, I was successful. Your safety program needs help or you wouldn't be hiring. Your saftehy program needs "fire" and excitement and you don't have it. Your safety program needs results and you aren't getting them. So, if you hire me Ill make myself a subject matter expert on ANYTHING you want and Ill teach it with more enthusiasm and conviction than ANYONE you EVER met. If you pass this up, Sir....you dont really want a good program...you just want a cheap one. Well, my friend was hired, he makes $53,000 a year and we rehearsed for 2 weeks prior to his interview. WHY? Because we knew what they man would say and my friend had to have the answer.
Guys, DO NOT sell yourself short. You can leave the service, you can do well and you can be happy out of the service.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

READ. Great piece of advice Ranger Abell9. 8)
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
VAK
USAF Veteran

Job's

Post by VAK »

It really was a good read. What do you guy's think about a link's portion here, not just for vet jobs but for VA links etc? I don't want to do a poll that's going to tie you down to specifics, I just want some down in the dirt ideas as I still have all of my links from when I filed my claim.

Godspeed,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

TACP-

I say do it. That is one of the reasons this forum was created for.

As a matter of fact maybe we should make it a sticky....?
RSD 96-99
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I agree. It's a great idea.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

I think it's a great idea to do links or even job postings. Rangers (and the military in general) are getting out in great numbers. Having a resource to refferance will help alot. Even job postings or just plain advice.
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Pastor Abell...good post!

Like we touched on elsewhere though, sometimes us hooahs have a hard time transitioning from military life to civie life..... :twisted:

(Or maybe I'm just an asshole who likes to settle things with his fists too much..... :roll: )

:twisted:
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

BadMuther wrote:Pastor Abell...good post!

Like we touched on elsewhere though, sometimes us hooahs have a hard time transitioning from military life to civie life..... :twisted:

(Or maybe I'm just an asshole who likes to settle things with his fists too much..... :roll: )

:twisted:
No, actually, I am no different than you. BUt, I did learn after a period that people whose asses I had whipped were not inclined to do business with me, hire me, or even say hello on the street. Then it became an issue of, how DO I get into that Corportate Bank Account and make them feel good about it?
I have though had some excellent episodes of fist meets face in the neighborhhod, hunting leases, fishing....life does provide opportunities, GRITS be parised. :lol:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I hear ya Pastor......I learned too (I think!)......just don't want any hooahs to screw up their first good job (like I did) by thinking that just cuz someone repeatedly talks shit, it's not okay to pummel them in the civie world! :wink:
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

Abell9, Funny you mention the Law Enforcement thing. I work with 5 guys that were in 3/75 with me. 3 were in my company those 3 are on the SWAT team.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

RGR_Dan wrote:Abell9, Funny you mention the Law Enforcement thing. I work with 5 guys that were in 3/75 with me. 3 were in my company those 3 are on the SWAT team.
LEO is a natural gravitation thing for Rangers. Hope it works for you Hoowahs, Ive seen a couple who couldnt contain themselves when the went "hot".
RS Class # 7-76

Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

I'm no Ranger and haven't earned the right to give any of you advice but I did work for UPS in college and can tell you that they or any other logistics company would be tickled shitless to have a Ranger apply for a job......management, logistics, programming, training, corporate security, hell even delivery. The UPS drivers make a shit load of money.
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

Ranger Abell9, you mentioned "teacher" as a possibility and i have to say from a student's standpoint that i would love if more Rangers worked in schools. I am glad that Ranger EarthPig (and he isnt the only one) works at my school in particular.

The problems with teachers i see most is that they just dont retire soon enough. The best teachers are the ones still in their first year or two, when they haven't become disheartened by all the punk deliquents, stupid kids, etc.

Also, many of the teachers i've had either didnt enjoy their subject or knew very little about it. My freshman social studies teacher and I once got into a somewhat heated debate over when Pearl Harbor and D-Day was. We were studying Japan and she mentioned that Pearl Harbor occured June 4th, 1944. I raised my hand and said that i was under the impression that Pearl Harbor occured December 7th, 1941, to which she replied "Oh i was thinking of D-Day..." I didnt want to call her down in front of the class just out of respect, but it really upset me that a social studies teacher could mistake basic facts about an era which she personally experienced. Public skool needs better teachers. Ones that care about the education of their students. There are a few like that but it seems that the majority falls into the other category...

-just my .02
LC
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"We make war that we may have peace"
-Aristotle

"A post a day keeps the smoke away"
-Doc
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

trackerteam6 wrote:Abell9- You hit the nail squarley on the head POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE, there ain't No ONE better than me and most are only HALF as good. A TRUE RANGER attitude. That's one of the things that gets us through the shit we waded in.
That attitude has gotten me through a lot. I don't like speaking in public but many times I have been called upon to do so either in work or other related things. I just think about what I have done, what the listeners haven't done and I can psych myself up for the talk. It works wonders for that or an interview.

Ranger2

Return to “Post Service Issues”