Tips for Airborne

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Re: Tips for Airborne

Post by Lefty »

ZoneIV wrote:
GTP wrote:When did they stop running in boots? I went thru Jump School in 1971 so I guess I should be happy we had boots and not moccasins. Just curious.
Actually I can give you a pretty accurate answer on this. It was March of 83. My class was the last class to do PT in boots at Jump School. The class motto was "Last in Leather". Moved on to RS afterwards and wore jungle boots which felt like running shoes compared to the old leather boots.
WHAAAAT???? Jungle boots would get you kicked off the manifest no questions asked. Leather boots, esp. Corcorans, were mandatory for jumps. Of course, this was in 1968 and 1969, when the Army was still MEN and girls stayed in the WAC.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Jump school was a fucking joke. It was by far one of the easiest things I have ever done in my life. After basic I drank constantly, smoked like a chimney, and ate whatever nasty fast food I could get my hands on and I still thought it was ajoke. Inserts? Carbs? Tips and strategies? I was so hung over I don't even remember half of jump school.

Lefty, things are certainly different. When I was coming up, the Corcoran jump boots were for wear in Class As only. Legs were the ones wearing jump boots in their BDUs. Rangers and Paratroopers wore jungle boots. Times change.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

13. Wear a huge GPS watch with altimeter so the Blackhats know you're for serious. :lol:
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

ZoneIV wrote:
Lefty wrote:WHAAAAT???? Jungle boots would get you kicked off the manifest no questions asked. Leather boots, esp. Corcorans, were mandatory for jumps. Of course, this was in 1968 and 1969, when the Army was still MEN and girls stayed in the WAC.
Now Now Lefty, don't have a stroke... :lol: We weren't allowed to wear Jungle boots in jump school. It would have been nice to be able to wear them during PT, etc. as oppose to the old leather leg boots but they weren't allowed. I wore Jungle Boots in RS however. When it came to Cochrans, I only put those on when I needed to look purty since I kept them all spit shined and crap. :lol: Never considered wearing them in Jump School. I would think you would get a rash of crap from the Blackhats if you attempted to wear "jump boots"... :lol: As I previously stated however, I was in the last class that did PT in boots. After that, they wore running shoes.
I shit you not - altho jungle boots were authorized and considered way cool in 6th SFG back then, the NCOs would literally conduct inspections during pre-jump briefings to eject anyone wearing jungle boots for the jump.
During jump school spit shined Corcorans were mandatory, alternate over laced and under laced daily. I had two pair, one overlaced and one underlaced, and spit shined the appropriate pair each nite for the next morning's inspection. BTW, we also had the full brass belt buckle that had to be Brassoed every day. Pushed away Georgia for all those teeny bits of Brasso I couldn't quite get out of the inside of the damn buckle.
And GRITS be praised, we were allowed to wear jungle boots in RS. Back then, however, jungle boots were hard to find stateside, and many of my RS classmates suffered in leather boots. They would cut holes in sides and backs to let water out.
And when my son went thru OSUT at Ft. Sill in 2000, I nearly DID have a stroke when I saw all these trainees wearing running shoes.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

600, understandably your post was made with good intentions as another Ranger mentioned, we're just a bunch of crotchety old motherfuckers that had to do things the "easy" way, meaning grab yer balls and just do it, or pack up and drag. No tips, no mentors (except our fathers), no special diets (except pizza, beer and Cope), and feet and legs that ached everyday. We just did it.

Don't let the ball-busting get in your head, it's inevitable and only beginning for you, you've a long way to go yet.

Drive on, motivate your peers and yourself constantly for each day.

Feet and knees together Airborne. Green light coming up.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
AssassinBlue1
Ranger

Post by AssassinBlue1 »

11. Find a 2LT who didn't make it through Ranger School and punch him in the face...
Fuck that. Make it an Infantry CPT...there are plenty of those still kicking around...
TRADOC '08-Present
A/3-8 Cav
PB Paliwoda, IZ '06-'07
RS 06-06

"Low fade, keep the 'burns."

Return to “About Airborne School”