Recycle Shame

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Recycle Shame

Post by K.Ingraham »

When filling out the student evals at the end of Ranger school, we were told not to repeat what some allied or sister service grad had recently done:
"What did you like best about Ranger School?"
"The parachuting, because I'd never done that before"...
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
The Old Guy
Ranger

Post by The Old Guy »

Clank, clank, I'm a tank. HAHA.

Tread heads all have a different thought process. The Armor School is driving me bananas with their either ignorant or snide comments about what they did at Fort Knox. Who cares how you did it at Fort Knox, your at Fort Benning now! LIfe is tough, but it is tougher when your stupid.

There are your obligatory tanker comments.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The Old Guy wrote:Clank, clank, I'm a tank. HAHA.

Tread heads all have a different thought process. The Armor School is driving me bananas with their either ignorant or snide comments about what they did at Fort Knox. Who cares how you did it at Fort Knox, your at Fort Benning now! LIfe is tough, but it is tougher when your stupid.

There are your obligatory tanker comments.
LMAO!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

You know, as far as the "shoot, move and communicate" quickly issue goes, my experience has been completely opposite.

When I was a young mortarman in an Armor BN (hating life, the army, and tanker boots) I saw tanker "quick thinking" on more than one occasion. Every time we did a maneuver exercise as a Battalion, the tankers killed everyone. I'm not talking enemy. They killed the BC, the medics, the scouts, the mortars, the support platoon, etc. You name it. If it wasn't in a fucking Abrams, it was toast. :shock:

Truly, I have never seen anything remotely like that since I left that world and came home to the infantry.

And I'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp, flaming stick than ever go back to an Armor or Cav unit again. :P
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

ZoneIV wrote:
The Old Guy wrote:The Armor School is driving me bananas with their either ignorant or snide comments about what they did at Fort Knox. Who cares how you did it at Fort Knox, your at Fort Benning now! LIfe is tough, but it is tougher when your stupid.
No doubt there are some tensions between the tankers and the grunts. Alway have been and alway will be. I cringed when I first heard they were moving the Armor School down to Benning. While it was probably pretty easy to put all the logistic branches together up here at Ft. Lee like they have, you just can't throw these two particular branches together in one place and not expect conflict.

Now I have heard many grunts make more then their share "ignorant or snide comments" as well but I just chalk it up to slow thinking. :lol: Grunts simply do not have the ability to shoot, move and communicate as fast as tankers so the ability to think fast is never really trained.
What is a tanker called in Afghanistan?

Infantry

What were they called in Desert One, Grenada, Panama, and Somalia?

Absent
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

ZoneIV wrote:Now this is funny and actually I am in touched with this reality, I can say I have BTDT since I was a Bn Scout. :lol: While my 19Ds hated grunts, tankers, etc, the mortar and scout platoons were kindred spirits being in an HHC full of support people and being surrounded by the tankers in the other companies.
Word. The mortars and scouts always had a rivalry going on. I don't remember how many times I stole their guidon, but it was quite a few. :D

On the other hand, God help anyone else who fucked with either a scout or a mortar, because he would have two platoons of pissed off, frustrated dudes balling his ass up.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Actually, they're just replacing the Canadian Leopard IIA6 tanks that are leaving, now that the Canadians have been beaten (or come to their senses).
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

mortar_guy78 wrote:On the other hand, God help anyone else who fucked with either a scout or a mortar, because he would have two platoons of pissed off, frustrated dudes balling his ass up.
I commanded a CSC in a mech infantry battalion, we had a Redeye platoon, in addition to mortars and scouts. Amen, brother.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “About Airborne School”