Advice from nearly 35 years ago...

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Advice from nearly 35 years ago...

Post by garyedolan »

Got an email today from an Airborne student from nearly 35 years ago--amazed he remembered our words of advice:
"Dan Villarreal here from Airborne Class # 43 of May/June '74:
Still here at UT-Austin doing my doctorate; I travel to Taipei, Taiwan, pretty frequently for language study (Mandarin Chinese) and work (teaching English and TOEFL). Just accepted a cool evening contract job at Municipal Court here in Austin as a Court Interpreter. The pace will be fairly slow so that I can get in some studying and reading on the clock! Just like Ranger School--NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Gentlemen, I would wish you Good Luck, but luck is bullshit in the Airborne!"--Major Ponzillo

"I'll tell you guys the same thing I would tell my sister if she were to go out on a date with one of you guys: keep your feet and knees together!"--Cpt Dolan

Last day advice to Class 43 from the Tower Committee before moving on to Jump Week.

Dan V, 11A5SLA"
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
42L5V
Ranger

Re: Advice from nearly 35 years ago...

Post by 42L5V »

Hell, I've heard that name before. I know a person or two in Austin. Wasn't there a football game there a couple years ago?

Silverback was just bragging about former students in the men's room, wasn't he?

Kudos to you Sir, for making an impression on someone long ago, who had the courtesy, guts, and memory to send a message. I always told my students "If you see me on the street, and you were a shithead, keep walking by." I've counted 5 times that someone wrote. I was a wee lad in '74 when you trained this man.

Pride is solemn, but lasts forever. Thanks for sharing.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
lowe1648mt
Egg

Re: Advice from nearly 35 years ago...

Post by lowe1648mt »

I remember the fist advise from the jump master on our first jump. " If you have to use the barf bag, don't leave it on the plane. Take it with you and play bombs away with your buddy." May 1968

Return to “About Airborne School”