Ranger LRRP Effectiveness

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I can only speak about K Company from November '69 to June '70. Operational Control of the Company switched from the G-2 to the G-3 and most missions became ambushes. In February, we tasked to conduct a company-sized raid on a POW camp, CSM Donald G. Keller (Ret.), was the 1SG at the time. He wrote an article about the raid in Patrolling Magazine last year.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Misconceptions

Post by Steadfast »

Lurp Eyes wrote:I would like to point out a few misconceptions that this thread has taken. First is that LRRP was only Reconnaissance. while most mssions were "sneek and peek", there were many missions that were "snatch" in nature, therefore direct contact.
The next misconception is that of lineage, present day Rangers lineage goes to WWll, with Darby and Merrill. In the "argument" papers switching LRRP/LRP to Ranger, the lineage goes back to Roger's Rangers, because the first companies, were used for Reconnaissance.
As far as "sentless soap", I don't know about later , we didn't have any, also the concept that we were ojt, might have been right when we first started, but Recondo school, became the norm for new guys.
In the beginning (early years '66, '67) few units and personnel were in RVN. In '69 there were in JUN 643,000 soldiers in country. Not everyone got to go to Recondo. Only #1 in class was selected for Recondo. The rest only got Pre-recondo taught by graduates of Recondo & usually 20 something missions amassed. The rest became ojt.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangerrg_c75
LRRP/Ranger

Post by rangerrg_c75 »

C/75 had very few attend MACV Recondo. If memory serves correctly it was shut down in late '70 or early '71. We didn't send anyone that I'm aware of after about Jun of 70. Company Cdr thought it was waste of time. Course he thought our own Company Pre-Ranger Course was a waste of time. But then he didn't have to hit the bush with 4 newbies either.
Served: 1st Plt C/75 1969-71
MACV Recondo Aug '69
RS 6-78
C Co 2/75th 78-81 B Co/HHC 7th RTB 91-93 (Retired)
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Our missions in I Co were Reconnaissance during my time there. Big Red One was then brought home in the early spring of 1970.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

I hope everyone realizes this is a none secure wire and the info being given out opens doors for Idiots in the future. (If you know what I mean.)
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
H75thRangers
Ranger

Post by H75thRangers »

H Company (1st Cav) stayed with primary mission of Recon, occasionally targeting a high profile target snatch (pay master, local VC leader, etc) but mostly recon-intel. The five-to-six man team size and the distance to friendlies made it disadvantageous to be going after heavy contact.

This is not to say that while monitoring a trail or watering site that we didn't blow ambushes, because we took advantage of those opportunities when they presented themselves, with approval from HQ, but normally, division felt it was more effective to get in, garner intel, get out without being compromised. The last thing you wanted to do was get extracted by McGuire rig that took splitting the team and having to reduce your firepower and increase your wait time, especially at night through triple canopy, where traditionally you were subject to get your best intel.
H Co(Rgr) 75th Inf(Abn) 1st Cav RVN 9/69-5/72
3d Bde (Abn) 101st Abn Div Ft Campbell '72-'74
CENTAG, Seckenheim, Germany '74-'77

If you kill for pleasure, you're a sadist...
If you kill for money, you're a mercenary...
If you kill for both, you're a RANGER!!!
Lurp Eyes
LRRP/Ranger

Post by Lurp Eyes »

I came across the lineage argument for switching LRRP/LRP to Ranger, modern Rangers lineagcome out of WWll, Europe and Asia, LRRP/LRP comes from Roger'se Rangers. The first companies were Lurping for the Brits, until they formed up to kick the Hurons.
Another misconception is that there was a difference between LRRP and LRP, I don't know about other units but the 173rd, was NOT just recon, it included snatch and ambush. Doing their war, their way , with their rules, but we had choppers and they didn't, lol.
173rd Abn (Sep) LRRP 66-67
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Lurp Eyes wrote:I came across the lineage argument for switching LRRP/LRP to Ranger, modern Rangers lineagcome out of WWll, Europe and Asia, LRRP/LRP comes from Roger'se Rangers. The first companies were Lurping for the Brits, until they formed up to kick the Hurons.
Another misconception is that there was a difference between LRRP and LRP, I don't know about other units but the 173rd, was NOT just recon, it included snatch and ambush. Doing their war, their way , with their rules, but we had choppers and they didn't, lol.
You are right Lurp eyes - Actually, the 2nd "R" was dropped since patrols were doing more than recon making them Long Range Patrols.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Much more than recon...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

Uh Oh FOG fight???

My daaddy had a bigger shitgun than yours??????

WTF, Over
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"

Return to “Reconnaissance”