Preparation for RASP

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Cap4040
Embryo

Preparation for RASP

Post by Cap4040 »

Hello to all Rangers,

First of all, thank you to all the people that have posted so much helpful information on this site!

I plan on signing an 11x option 40 contract (would be very interested in 35 series option 40 if they are even available) and am only slightly late to the party at 27, but at least received a 4 year degree in that time. I do have background as a competitive lifter, but need a lot of work to make the transition (namely running). May 2021 is when I plan to start OSUT, but I know start dates are never certain. I do want to share that when I talked to a recruiter about joining with an option 40 he said those guys are just cocky assholes and told me to just do 18x.

Before even making it to OSUT I have made my PT goals to be:

Pushups- 77
Situps- 85
Two mile run- under 13 minutes
Pullups- 10 (after the run)
Have yet to set a ruck goal for now other than just getting used to a 45lb load

The one thing I couldn't find out from research is if RASP still running all PT testing from APFT, because the ACFT was quite a bit easier to me. I am currently focused on just the APFT standards, but since ACFT is so new it's hard to get information.

Also, when training do you recommend that I use my good running shoes to train all of the runs and buy a pair of boots to do all rucks with?
Any and all feedback is appreciated.
IntelToad
Ranger

Re: Preparation for RASP

Post by IntelToad »

Get what you want from your recruiter, or find another recruiter. You are a civilian and don't owe them anything. 18x as an enlistment option is some tough sledding, much better success rate from those that go there after being in the Army (and especially Regiment) for awhile. There are some SF sites similar in purpose to this one, I'd go get their opinion before signing that contract.

What are your PT numbers looking like now ?

You have a degree, have you considered OCS or WOCS ?

I can't comment on current PT standards, but will pass it along to those that can. Some things never change though, get on a running program and buy good running shoes- not just stuff from a store but a runner specific store if you can. Buy two pairs and let the other pair dry when you are running. Then run some more.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
atl456
Ranger

Post by atl456 »

Welcome to the site. Like Ranger IntelToad said the 18X program has a high washout rate. The college degree will help you get selected but whether or not you get selected is a lot less straightforward than RASP. In RASP if you can pass the PT test, 12 mile and land nav(and obviously not quit) you’ll graduate. In SFAS you can make it all the way through and not be selected. Plus it takes years to do the q course.
Also fuck your recruiter. I was with dudes going through the q course for a year at SOCM. Those guys are without a doubt 1000% more cocky than Rangers. If he doesn’t want to help you find another one.
I would train for the ACFT because that’s what you’re going to have to do in basic. Focus on the 25 meter target first. Also if you can do 60 “T” push-ups you should be able to do 58 regular push-ups. I would run in regular running shoes to avoid injury, just focus on getting your run time down and increasing mileage. You can buy a pair of boots to ruck with if you want. In my opinion the best way to get better at rucking is running, squats and deadlifts. You’ll do plenty of moving around in boots at basic.
RASP class 01-19
SOCM class 05-19
Ranger School class 10-21
2/75
Cap4040
Embryo

Post by Cap4040 »

Thank you Ranger IntelToad! I have given it thought and I would much rather pursue an option 40 contract.

Current PT numbers are poor:
Pushups- 65
Situps- 60 (needs a lot of work)
Two mile run- 14:45 (second week running)
Pullups- 10

I've tried to really pay attention to the Ranger standard I have seen/heard for the PT test so that I can form good habits with perfect reps every single time.

OCS just isn't for me. The job description doesn't interest me nearly as much as taking my shot at becoming a Ranger.

I did pick up a great pair of running shoes, which feel amazing compared to the hiking boots I was running in.
Cap4040
Embryo

Post by Cap4040 »

Thank you Ranger atl456! I'm definitely going to go the option 40 route after some deliberation. I was very confused on why the recruiter was hating on Rangers. A good friend of mine served in 3rd Battalion and just asked me if the recruiter was fat.
I will be sure to mix in much more of the ACFT. I have yet to ruck but my deadlift and squat are both fairly high numbers as I was competing in both Weightlifting and Powerlifting so we shall see how much that carries over. The massive downside is that I currently have terrible cardiovascular fitness. I haven't yet attempted anything over 2 miles, but I am devoting the most time towards embracing the suck that is running.

All in all I am not yet mentally tough enough to make it, but now I have set the goal and I'll make it happen.
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

The 35 series also has a lot of opportunity as an Option 40, going to the Regiment's RMIB is a very select group of intelligence and signals professionals and I would highly suggest looking into that.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Cap4040
Embryo

Post by Cap4040 »

Glad to hear it Ranger IntelToad. I am currently gathering medical documents from a prior surgery and hoping a little extra hardware in my ankle won't disqualify me.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

don't run in boots. your knees and back with thank you in a few (maybe one) decade. just don't. once you're in, you'll learn when and how to shuffle.

break in your boots before you start carrying any weight. ramp up distance and weight gradually. you don't ever need to train past 10 miles/35-45 pounds before joining. the standard back when was 15 minute miles. rucking uses different groups than running especially as you add weight, so incremental it. give your feet/shins time to adjust and strengthen up.

work your runs up to a 5 miler also. 8 minute, +/- 15 seconds was the standard, but a sub-40 minute 5 is the goal, eventually. intervals, long slows, fast 2s... vary up the training.

don't overwork the training. don't injure yourself getting to your goals. you have time. work smart.

your recruiter is either fat, failed, or had a chick he was eyeing sharked by a Ranger. fuck his insecurities. get what you want. the Regt is the best place to start any career, no matter where it goes from there.

IntelToad, the only street to WOCS program is aviation. everything else is an MOS specific feeder program.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Cap4040
Embryo

Post by Cap4040 »

Thank you Ranger KW Driver. The change to running shoes felt much better on my lower body. I am in the process of getting a ruck and boots, but I wanted to make sure I have a decent base to pull from with running first.

I’m trying not to push towards the point of overtraining and I know I have approximately 6 months to get ready, but I keep seeing these gazelles with such fast 2 mile times and it’s hard not want to go back out and get another run in. I’m finishing up week 2 of running again and it is beginning to feel a bit more natural. Sitting at 6’ 213lbs is a struggle with sustained runs. I’m used to loading up muscle mass for Competitive Powerlifting so this is still a shock on the body exercise wise.

I plan on cutting to 190-195, but I’m wondering how low I should end up going as OSUT would be 22 weeks long.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I was 6',195, maybe 18% BMI in BN. I've never been a strong runner. I could hump a ruck all day and night though. things are different now than then. they've gotten much smarter about functional strength, vs speed demons. work everything, work weaknesses as you identify them. stamina events/training will trump max rep training.

you don't need a fancy ruck, but having something that will hold bulkier mass so that you get an approximation of real things being carried in a bag for weight distribution/mass inertia is better than strapping a 45lb plate to a frame. walk your boots in with no weight initially, then add weight and distance, like I said.

and you don't really know what your time frame is, until you have a contract and a ship date. train smart regardless.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Cap4040
Embryo

Post by Cap4040 »

Thank you again Ranger KW Driver. I am shifting to a more CrossFit style of training since that’s where I’ve seen the military slowly shifting to. I just add in the APFT (I’m assuming it stays for RASP) and extra running on my own.

With rucking I’m definitely going to take the slow build in weight and distance advice. It was very similar to the advice I got about rucking from another Ranger. I’d like to know how to pack a ruck well, but I’m sure it’s better to go in and just listen to exactly how they teach you.

I am making a big assumption with when basic will start. I’m just eager to begin, but only after I am physically fit enough to give it my best shot.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

packing... keep things tight so they don't shift as you move around. inertia will put you on your ass depending on where you're walking. balance your load laterally so that your GC is over your spine as best you can. try to put your heaviest items, and longitudinal (vertical) CG between your shoulder blades is what I've always done. it just rides the most comfortably over long hours or distance. back in the day we tended to not use waist/hip belts and just carried the load with our shoulders, with good hip pad placement and ruck sizing to your body if possible. we didn't always do things the smart or the most comfortable way. I've got modern civilian rucks/packs today that are way more comfortable and easier carrying than what we got issued with an ALICE pack. newer rucks carried easier too when I was in, but you live with what you get.

water on top so it's easy to access and refill. for training walks, you shouldn't have to get in it. having a water bladder and hose system is absolutely the easiest means of staying hydrated on a walk without having to break pace trying to grab a bottle.

no sharp corners of this digging onto your back. pad had shit with softer shit and "soft" against your back. air-gapped behind your back if possible for cooling. that "big green tick" as we used to call it gets plenty hot if it's on you.

for RIP/RASP, Ranger standards, all ruck weights were dry weights. your water was your business. ruck weigh-ins were after the graded event. for training, I wouldn't sweat the scale. approximate weight is good enough.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

Chulo
United States Marine

Post by Chulo »

Welcome.

Why are you planning on signing an 11X when you are interested in the 35 series?

Recruiters have one purpose to recruit for what they need. They take advantage of your eagerness to join and will say anything to make you sign. For him to talk shit about Regiment shows what a shitbag he is.

What makes OCS unappealing to you?

Train for the APFT and ACFT.
A Co 2-87 IN 2 BDE 10th MTN DIV
2020-Present

0811 Section Chief
I Btry 3rd Bn 14th Marines 4th Mar Div
USMC-R 2011-2019

“Control what you can and what you can control is you.”
-BPB
Cap4040
Embryo

Post by Cap4040 »

I was thinking about 11x as I am unsure of the availability of 35 series option 40s.

I honestly had a bad understanding of OCS overall, but I have recently talked with someone who was very helpful. I’m seeing that going OCS and then pushing for Airborne, Air Assault, and Ranger school could lead to an option of aiming for RASP II. I would be far better prepared if I take this route.
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Welcome here. Good ways to improve running are sprints, think 30 seconds all out then 60 seconds jog.
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”