Option 40 13F...is this the way for me?

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

CaliWrestler
Egg

Option 40 13F...is this the way for me?

Post by CaliWrestler »

Hi all,

My name is Anthony. I am 17 years old and a senior at my high school in northern California. I am a varsity wrestler and have been wrestling since the 3rd grade. I've always wanted to join the Army and since college is not for me right now, I've decided to enlist on an Option 40 contract. Like every other new soldier I want a Option 40 11X. My recruiter and another recruiter from the "Command" shop both have called me several times saying that there is none available. They have however offered me a Option 40 13F contract. I know a little about the FO job and my dad who was a 11B says they are very squared away and he had a couple of tabbed FO's attached to his squad in the 1990's on a deployment.

I have to make the biggest decision of my life and want to know if this is the right MOS. I want a high speed challenging job. Is this MOS gonna keep me challenged and busy at the Ranger Regiment? Can anyone provide insight on the pro's and con's of the 13F?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony
IntelToad
Ranger

Re: Option 40 13F...is this the way for me?

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here Anthony. You are holding all the cards as far as enlisting at this point and you need to push the recruiters to get the contract you want. You are 17, in high school and have time to figure it out. Recruiters need to fill quotas, are pushed to hit numbers and if you are walking in off the street without them recruiting you that's a golden opportunity for them. Don't rush, get what you want and you can always try a different recruiting office.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
atl456
Ranger

Post by atl456 »

Welcome to the site. Being an FO in Ranger Regiment in my opinion would be pretty cool. They regularly go TDY(travel) to places across the country to practice dropping bombs from aircraft, calling in artillery, etc. They’re also usually the first ones to arrive when there is a casualty so they can send up the 9 line for the medic and start setting up the HLZ. That being said they don’t shoot machine guns or clear rooms very often. Similar to the medic always being at the hip of the platoon sergeant, FOs are usually at the hip of the platoon leader or sometimes at a BP. So it just depends what you want to do. Like Ranger IntelToad said, don’t get stuck in a job you don’t want just so the recruiter can make his quota. If you want to be infantry be infantry.
RASP class 01-19
SOCM class 05-19
Ranger School class 10-21
2/75
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

atl456 wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 10:03 am Welcome to the site. Being an FO in Ranger Regiment in my opinion would be pretty cool. They regularly go TDY(travel) to places across the country to practice dropping bombs from aircraft, calling in artillery, etc. They’re also usually the first ones to arrive when there is a casualty so they can send up the 9 line for the medic and start setting up the HLZ. That being said they don’t shoot machine guns or clear rooms very often. Similar to the medic always being at the hip of the platoon sergeant, FOs are usually at the hip of the platoon leader or sometimes at a BP. So it just depends what you want to do. Like Ranger IntelToad said, don’t get stuck in a job you don’t want just so the recruiter can make his quota. If you want to be infantry be infantry.
that basically covers it. your primary weapon will be a radio, not an M4/249/240. they run indirect fires (mortars and artillery) and air assets. they do and know shit that 11s don't. it's a vital role. 11Bs are easy for the Regt. to come by. 13Fs are fewer and further between in the pipeline, so they get more opportunities to try out. it can and should be a rewarding job.

you have to pick what's right for you and dive into that without regret.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
CaliWrestler
Egg

Post by CaliWrestler »

IntelToad wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:16 pm Welcome here Anthony. You are holding all the cards as far as enlisting at this point and you need to push the recruiters to get the contract you want. You are 17, in high school and have time to figure it out. Recruiters need to fill quotas, are pushed to hit numbers and if you are walking in off the street without them recruiting you that's a golden opportunity for them. Don't rush, get what you want and you can always try a different recruiting office.
Great advise. I will take either the 11x of 13F after researching both MOS's. Thank you for the help.
CaliWrestler
Egg

Post by CaliWrestler »

Thank you all for the advise. I'm looking forward to the day I ship out.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”