Introduction - Stephen

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Templar
Embryo

Re: Introduction - Stephen

Post by Templar »

Rangers,

Today I did my first real ruck in several months. I did roughly 4.4 miles (flat, paved) in 1 hour with a 25 lb. ruck. I was surprised because I wasn’t even trying that hard, just a brisk walk.

I have not been to the recruiting office since my last post, but I plan on starting the enlistment process soon. I will keep you all posted.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20210713
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Hi all Rangers,

I've seen some other members of the site are in the same boat as me, unable to find an 11X Option 40 contract. I have since found some information I should share here. I recently learned that r/75thRangerRecruiting on Reddit is a great place to get up-to-date info. The recruiter on the site has said the following:

There are no Option 40 contracts available for 11X, and no timeline for when they will become available again. ... We have no visibility on Option 40 contracts. We changed our method of entry as a result -- meet the qualifications and you can apply at OSUT.
He also said there are no 68W or 13F contracts available. It seems that, specifically for these three MOS, they are almost entirely recruiting from basic training now.

I will wait until June to see if an 11X Opt 40 pops up, but in the likely event that it doesn't, I will plan on volunteering from OSUT.
I will probably be going to MEPS soon anyway since my recruiter wants to get me qualified before I enlist.
11X OPT 40
atl456
Ranger

Post by atl456 »

Definitely wait for what you want. They said they didn’t have any option 40 contracts to me nearly 4 years ago and probably to some kid 4 years before I enlisted. I’m not a recruiter but I’m pretty sure they haven’t got rid of the 11X option 40 contract.
RASP class 01-19
SOCM class 05-19
Ranger School class 10-21
2/75
Cap4040
Embryo

Post by Cap4040 »

Hey Stephen,

I went in to talk to my recruiter about a week ago and was told that there are plenty of 11x option 40 contracts available. I have not signed anything so he could be BSing. He also told me that airborne was before RASP, which I have been told the exact opposite by multiple Rangers currently serving, so take that how you will. Just wanted to give you what I experienced with it.
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Stephen, please put the whole "I will plan on volunteering from OSUT" on the bottom of your list of future plans. Recruiters love this sales pitch because by the point you realize it's bullshit, you're off to your first leg unit and he/she still makes quota for enlisting your ass.

That's pretty much putting your future in the hands of the needs of the Army, the Regiment and your performance in OSUT at that point- in other words, it ain't shit if it's not a contract.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

is your one true hook up recruiter still there, at that office? if you wait for someone to hand you something... it may never come.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Thanks for the input Cap4040, good to know.
Roger Ranger IntelToad, the last thing I want to do is volunteer from OSUT. It seemed to me that the Regiment is trying to discontinue 11X Option 40s for good. The Regiment Recruiters say I will be guaranteed a chance to volunteer at OSUT, but I'll take that with a grain of salt.
I think I wrote in one of my long essays here that my recruiter says he will continue to search for Option 40s in the system for me, and do all he can to make sure I obtain one.
KW Driver wrote: December 5th, 2020, 8:35 am is your one true hook up recruiter still there, at that office? if you wait for someone to hand you something... it may never come.
Ranger KW Driver, I don't know exactly what you mean by my "one true" recruiter. I think that the recruiter I mentioned above will be doing most of the work with me, although it seems that every time I've been to the office they introduce me to a different recruiter. I plan on going there soon to have my parents sign for me (as I am still 17) and then go to MEPS. I'll make sure to be persistent and won't sign anything without an Option 40, at least not until June.
11X OPT 40
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Come to think of it, my recruiters even acted suspicious about Option 40s when I met them in August. I'll make sure to hold out for what I want.
Also, I've seen my running improve immensely. I recently ran a 14:43 2 mile and also a 6:45 1 mile. I'm still far from where I want to be, but my times are falling fast.
11X OPT 40
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Templar wrote: December 5th, 2020, 5:45 pm
KW Driver wrote: December 5th, 2020, 8:35 am is your one true hook up recruiter still there, at that office? if you wait for someone to hand you something... it may never come.
Ranger KW Driver, I don't know exactly what you mean by my "one true" recruiter. I think that the recruiter I mentioned above will be doing most of the work with me, although it seems that every time I've been to the office they introduce me to a different recruiter. I plan on going there soon to have my parents sign for me (as I am still 17) and then go to MEPS. I'll make sure to be persistent and won't sign anything without an Option 40, at least not until June.
I meant, don't sit at the house waiting on a phone call that may not ever come. keep going in there so the dude who did seem like he was willing to work with you knows your face and name when he's looking up contracts options availability. they stay busy. a one and done walk in won't get his card pulled until the end of a quarter and a recruiter hasn't hit his quota (called mission by them, they have to 'make mission").
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Fathertryhard
Egg

Post by Fathertryhard »

Stephen,

My son was 'recruited' by one recruiter, but his mentorship was done almost exclusively by another recruiter in the office. A good recruiter will :
- Get you your Option 40 contract, as long as you do your part and get the ASVAB score
- Get you PV2 (E-2) on enlistment (Pass PT test, take online course)
- Potentially get you PFC (E-3) on enlistment, if you can talk a buddy, friend or acquaintance into joining.

My son got hooked up with his Option 40 last November for a ship date of July (He graduates OSUT 22 Jan, then off to RASP), and he went in as an E-3 (more money), thanks to the efforts of one of the SSGs in the recruitment office. My son did his part for following up, showing up to PT training at the center, and getting his paperwork in when requested.

There is a saying in the military that the only one who will look out for your career is you.

Good luck
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here Fathertryhard, go post an introduction.

Stephen, hold out for what you want or go find another recruiter.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Rangers,

Since my last post, my parents have signed their consent for my enlistment. Due to two hospital visits as a young child, my recruiter had me obtain hospital records for the MEPS doctor, rather than forego the paperwork. The records have been approved by MEPS, so we don't anticipate any issue or any reason for disqualification. Tomorrow morning I will be headed to MEPS to become Qualified but Not Enlisted (QNE).
The track team has also been allowed to meet, and I've seen my cardio improve much faster because I am now running more frequently and in a group.
11X OPT 40
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Rangers!

I can't believe I was focusing so much on volunteering from OSUT this whole time; it turns out there won't be a need for that.
I passed physical qualifications with no issues last week. Immediately after leaving the MEPS, my recruiting station's commander called me to let me know an 11X Opt. 40 was available. My recruiter compared it to finding a unicorn, so yay for that, I got a unicorn.
I'll be conducting an OPAT with him soon and I will post the results here.
I've updated my signature as was instructed in the "Army Ranger Mentorship Program" article.
11X OPT 40
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Rangers,

My recruiter and I have yet to do an OPAT, so I took a PFT test on my own today:
PU: 49 (70%)
SU: 72 (90%)
2-mi: 14:27 (79%)
Total: 239 APFT
Pull-ups: 9 (dead-hang) (I can perform roughly 15 pull-ups without stopping)

I recognize that my calisthenics have stayed almost the same since I first joined. I will implement them into my workouts more frequently.
My run time has only improved 16 seconds since 3 months ago. I imagine this is because this whole time on the track team I've been training as a sprinter. Next week, the cross country season finally starts, so I'm looking forward to building my endurance. I plan to run a sub 40 min. 5 mile sometime around Easter.
11X OPT 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”