Introduction - Chase

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

EchoingFarts
Embryo

Introduction - Chase

Post by EchoingFarts »

Hello, my name is Isaac I'm 20 years old.

Really, I didn't have any intention of joining the military, but certain life circumstances have changed, and it's looking like that might be the best option for me. Overall, I'm a firm believer that if I'm doing something, I better be doing it right, which I guess means that I should at least try to be a ranger. I do have a couple concerns and questions, which I'm just gonna lay out all in the intro. It's kind of a long thing, I don't know where else to put it.

First and foremost, I weight 250 and it isn't muscle. I get that this immediately is a red flag/"I'll believe it when I see it" to most people, but that's OK. I was 300 when I was a sophomore and shot down to 175. I gained it back after I stopped doing construction work. I liked the work, I just wanted to do something else. The weight isn't an issue and I'm going to just lose it. Right now it's just 1 meal a day, and I think 6 months of this and 6 months of good training will be fine to get me at least ready for basic. That being said, is 1 year enough time to get me ready for RASP? It's not a lot of time, but I currently am finishing my associates degree, so I don't have a job, which means more time for working out.

Second big thing, I kind of have a record. Basically just before I turned 18, I broke into a house. Overall, it got expunged due to the nature of it. Basically, the owner was my step-dad who had abused my sister and I for years(basic shit, they took away our lights, food, kept us busy, took my books. It was basic living really. Plus there was physical and some other things I can't tell you). My mom basically stopped letting me see my little sister's(his kids) when I threatened to call cps on them. After a year, when cps didn't do anything, I went in there to take care of it. Luckily for everyone, nobody was home, I got caught, and decided not to try again. Obviously I wouldn't ever touch my mother, that's a cardinal sin, but my step-dad isn't anything to me.

I understand I was not being professional (for lack of a better word), and could've handled things much better. Regardless, my mom has a restraining order on me, which will be on my record when I go in. Plus there's a dropped bail jumping, because I texted them during the court case, but it was dropped because they lied about what I messaged them. Regardless, I understand that might disqualify me, or put me in a place of no return, but you guys have to understand I was operating on the best interest of my family, not mine. Will this disqualify me from the option 40? Should I mention this to a recruiter, or should I just not mention it as only the restraining order remains (there was no firearm restrictions, so I believe I still will be able to qualify, at least for basic with a moral waiver hopefully). I personally don't want to lie to him, as I believe that lying is just as bad, if not worse, than murder.

Also, I am afraid of heights. Ironically, the rangers are airborne, and do flight school + other height stuff. I understand the complications in that, but I believe that this is a great opportunity to learn to control my fears and be better. If the other couple things don't prohibit my becoming a ranger, will this?

Lastly, I get initially you guys probably know already if I have what it takes to be a ranger, or not, just based on this intro alone. However, I might as well get it straight now, so I can adjust before I try it. I finished my first year of tech school with a 4.0, which isn't really an "achievement", it's very easy if you do the work. The only reason I mention it is because I am unsure if it will help at all while I'm in the army. It's in software development, I planned to go to get my bachelors in computer engineering, but that isn't going to happen. I got accepted my dream school, but my grandparents and I can't afford it. I was just wondering if i should finish it, or save mental space for other things.

I really don't care about the politics of war, I believe if there is evil, then it should be stopped. Thanks if you guys made it all the way through.
IntelToad
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Chase

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here.

Well, that's a lot to digest.

First, yes you have enough time to become physically fit if you are going to wait a year before enlisting. Plus, if you get an Option 40 contract, it's not like you go straight into RASP- you will become more fit as you progress through BCT and AIT.

As for any type of criminal record, you really need to talk to a recruiter about that. No, you shouldn't lie about your background because they will catch it on the background check.

Finally, I'm not really fond of tall buildings and I had no problem with heights as far as jumping out of airplanes and helicopters.

Good luck to you.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site.
If you really want to become a Army Rangers ... it can be done, but it’s all up to you. Work hard & focus on your goal. As Ranger IntelToad said talk to your recruiter & be up front with him/her.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
EchoingFarts
Embryo

Post by EchoingFarts »

Thanks for the replies ranger CharlieRanger1FFV and ranger IntelToad

I knew it was gonna be a long post. To be honest, I don't usually like bringing up my upbringing, but I felt it had to be talked about because it's on my record. I am humbled by the replies. I half expected to get ripped up over my past actions, which is why I used my middle name in the post. That way, I could speak freely about it and avoid any "real" problems if I can pull myself up there. But my first name is still in the title. Lack of attention to detail, I guess. Also, I'm very excited about the opportunity to perfect the task of forceful entry to kill bad guys and help.

Overall though, the fact you guys didn't flat out say I shouldn't/couldn't was a monumental moment for me. Hopefully, if I make it through, I can buy you guys a beer or something.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Since you were open and honest, I'm going to try and do the same...

If you are over-weight, get in shape. Talk to a recruiter now, not later. And work on it. They are there to help you as long as it is something do-able inside of about a year. Talk to them, as Ranger IntelToad mentioned about your record as well. None of us here currently can answer what the Army cares about and does not care about. Easiest thing to do is say "this is on my record, this is not because it is expunged". No reason to hide much here because even stuff expunged is unfortunately still on your record somewhere if someone wants to find it. And when getting a clearance to join the 75th, that matters.

If you have some form of criminal record, it is iffy. But I think the better question is, why do you want to join the 75th Ranger Regiment? Sure, join the military if that is where you think you need to do. Why target a specific unit? You talked a lot but dodged that idea.

Good to have you here.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
EchoingFarts
Embryo

Post by EchoingFarts »

Thanks for the reply ranger disinfertention

My plan was to lose about 50 pounds over 6 months and go into the recruiting station then, that way I can show them I'm serious. Overall, I think the reason for the regiment is mostly to really get in there. I think honestly, I could probably do some backend IT/engineering stuff for the army for 3 years to get the GI bill and dip, but it just wouldn't sit right with me knowing that there are people dying while I dick around on my pc all day. On top of that, if I am going into a place where I am risking my life, and possibly the lives of others, I better really know what I'm doing. Also, as bad as it sounds, breaking back into the house to case and plan and do the work was the most fun I've ever had. The only thing that got me caught was that I sent a video I took in there going over the conditions of the house and how it looked to my older sister and she told my mom. Even though what I did wasn't right, I want the opportunity to do it for other people who may not be able to fight back. Plus I always wanted to be a seal as a kid, but this way if I don't make it through I'm not stuck in the navy (not that there's anything wrong with the navy but it's not for me). Yeah, with the record, I'm hoping that it'll get cleared because my other options aren't looking too great.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

There are always other options but the only way to find out what you can and cannot do in the current enlistment environment is to talk to a recruiter. Anything beyond that is speculation for the majority of us unless you find a recruiter on reddit or maybe a former one. Even then, the information will only be useful in current time. Not experiences from last year or if you are planning to wait six months - stuff changes all the time.

Keep at it and keep us up to date on how things progress.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
EchoingFarts
Embryo

Post by EchoingFarts »

Hey, thanks again!

My bad for taking a while to reply, I looked online for a recruiter and struggled to find anyone so today I just decided to walk into the recruiting office. It went good actually, he said that I probably won't even need a moral waiver. Although, I was also told that the option 40 is a "stretch" and that they're very rare. I guess in my head I figured that RASP wouldn't be a big deal because if I truly want the job I'd just find a way to press through (barring injury). I guess I do have to ask though, how much is mental vs physical? He said he sent kids who were star athletes who didn't make it, so he didn't think I should try because I'd end up in a bad field afterwards if I just jumped on the first option 40. I get the drop out rate is really high, but what did you guys tell yourselves to finish it?
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

It's relative.... Being an athlete is not a Ranger. Being a hardass is not a Ranger. Many of us here, who will reply, are not the definition of a Ranger that they are looking for. The program is far beyond what any of us can do for you specifically. But we can give some tips or ideas to help you be in a good position for it.

RASP is much more of a real "Selection" now. You show up as you are, as best you can, and if you are it, stay healthy, and do it. Then so be it. If not, come back later. As soon as you can. Both of those things take dedication. And some of them take longer service requirements than what you thought.

Everyone tries to scare you off of it. Be in shape, go to RASP. Do it. Or it will weed you out. It's not really a failure course anymore.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
EchoingFarts
Embryo

Post by EchoingFarts »

Ranger disinfertention,

So far I'm 8 pounds down since I went to the recruiter + I dropped out of college (this way if I have a "weaker" moment in regards to the much needed lifestyle changes, I can remind myself I don't have anything except the army). I knew in advance I wouldn't be winning any rucking records at RASP however, I was hoping to show the cadres that I have have other value to the regiment, maybe they'll see that I can get in even better shape after RASP and just let me squeeze through. Personally, I feel like there's going to be a situation of "too many chiefs, not enough Indians", so I'll just make sure to keep my ego in check and be an Indian through and through. On top of that, I feel like in a real battlefield there isn't room for people who aren't willing to help their team, so I'll make sure to do the best I can in helping the others going through RASP with me when I can. Although, anybody can say this stuff and be the total opposite when it gets hard. I said that I wasn't worried about RASP because it's such a small part of what a ranger does, every ranger has gone through it and once it's over, does it really even matter to the battalion? But I'm not completely stupid, I know it will require commitment and a lot of physical improvements. I figure, I can do my best to drop the weight in 5 months and try to build myself up to be usefully strong and then OSUT for infantry is 22 weeks, I might be able to squeeze in extra workouts or something to get more prepared. Also, once I make it through, I'm buying you a beer too. Even if it takes a few years.
EchoingFarts
Embryo

Post by EchoingFarts »

Also, I always forget to capitalize Ranger when I am typing, I honestly don't even capitalize my own name half the time

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”