Introduction: Jacob

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

AlgerJ204
Embryo

Introduction: Jacob

Post by AlgerJ204 »

Hi Ranger Community, my name is Jacob, and I am 17 years old. I recently decided to join the Army and as of a day ago finished my pre-enlistment. I am eager and humbly willing to receive advice from Rangers and Veterans in order to guide me on a path to my future selfless service. If I have missed anything in this Introduction, please correct me. Thank you all for giving me and others like me the access to useful information to help us along are journey. P.S. I am signing an 11X contract and wish to ship June 14th, 2023.
Carpenter
Ranger

Re: Introduction: Jacob

Post by Carpenter »

Jacob, welcome to the site.

This website has decades of history from individuals who were in the same shoes you're standing in now. Read around the site and learn as much as you can. Be sure to check out the "Letters From School" thread where you'll find stories from individuals who made it all the way to Ranger Regiment, as well as stories from individuals who fell short. Learn as much as you can from them so that you don't fall short of your own goals.

I'll also put out that your ship date is closing quickly. Be sure to put as much effort in as possible to make sure you leave in the best shape you physically can.

Good luck on your journey.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Jacob,

Congratulations on receiving a contract. The first year or so of military life will feel difficult but generally it is not. Be on time, in the right uniform, and have a good attitude. Learn, improve your fitness, and you will be way in front of most of your peers.

You are welcome to start a letters from school post and keep us updated on your journey.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
AlgerJ204
Embryo

Post by AlgerJ204 »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention, thank you for the welcome.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

AlgerJ204 wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 2:27 am Roger Ranger Disinfertention, thank you for the welcome.
What are you doing to prepare over the next two months? I recall my time before shipping and I did nothing. I was fortunate that it did not hold me back too much from performing well throughout my initial training.

What are your short term goals in the military? Why did you pick infantry? Are you planning to volunteer for the 75th Ranger Regiment if it is offered?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
AlgerJ204
Embryo

Post by AlgerJ204 »

Ranger Disinfertention, thank you for the replying. I am not very in depth with my physical training currently. Really I have been doing Push ups and running and I plan to get a few rucks in before hand. I also officially swore in April 25th and my ship date officially is July 10th,2023.

My short term goals as of now are to, for one pass OSUT and Airborne and gain the trust of my brothers in arms at my unit. Futher goals include acceptance to Air Assualt and Sniper School. My end goal in mind is to make thru RASP and eventually end up working with the Ranger Recon Company. I picked infantry because I appreciate the higher standards they place on themselves compared to other jobs within the Army. I also have been told I have a servants heart so I am willing to sacrafice comfort for the mission America has placed on me and my brothers.

IF 75th Ranger Regiment is offered at either OSUT or BAT I will guage my abilities then and there and decide if I am ready even if I do not gain another opportunity. Of course yes that is the end goal in mind is to join the World's Most elite light infantry unit. RLTW!!
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

AlgerJ204 wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 3:52 pm Ranger Disinfertention, thank you for the replying. I am not very in depth with my physical training currently. Really I have been doing Push ups and running and I plan to get a few rucks in before hand. I also officially swore in April 25th and my ship date officially is July 10th,2023.

My short term goals as of now are to, for one pass OSUT and Airborne and gain the trust of my brothers in arms at my unit. Futher goals include acceptance to Air Assualt and Sniper School. My end goal in mind is to make thru RASP and eventually end up working with the Ranger Recon Company. I picked infantry because I appreciate the higher standards they place on themselves compared to other jobs within the Army. I also have been told I have a servants heart so I am willing to sacrafice comfort for the mission America has placed on me and my brothers.

IF 75th Ranger Regiment is offered at either OSUT or BAT I will guage my abilities then and there and decide if I am ready even if I do not gain another opportunity. Of course yes that is the end goal in mind is to join the World's Most elite light infantry unit. RLTW!!
Gonna shoot ya straight here. If you want to do it, do it early and often. Don't wait. I have still been told that they offer anyone at infantry basic the option to go to RASP. If that option is there, take it. If you don't think you are ready, then go, fail, and rebuild. Push yourself and be humble. You are too humble at the moment.

You said airborne but you have an 11X? Do you have an OPT 4 for Jump School or not? They will definitely offer RASP in OSUT and probably again at Jump School.

The vast majority of us do RASP at the start of our careers. The chances of passing may increase slightly if you wait, but the likelihood of having a long and established career go lower. Take your bumps and hits early.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
AlgerJ204
Embryo

Post by AlgerJ204 »

Ranger Disinfertention, I appreciate the straight-forward advice I will take it to heart. Yes I do have an Option 4 on my contract and yes I am aware of the possible RASP recruiters at OSUT and BAT. I thank you for your advice to "Take your bumps and hits early." and completely agree. I should be much more aggressive about wanting to become a U.S. Ranger understanding that the completion is very high currently. If you personally have recommendations on my approach mentally, physically, and emotionally. I would be EXTEREMLY thankful for any advice no matter how small. I will be sure to do my part as well and search everywhere for the best information provided on this forum. RLTW!
AlgerJ204
Embryo

Post by AlgerJ204 »

EDIT: I apologize for the lack of attention to detail I misspelled "completion" and intended in using the word "competition"

Once again RLTW!
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Jacob,

Many, and I mean many people have passed through this forum with the same goals and aspirations that you have. Most had option 40s, some had option 4s, etc. Im gonna give you the task of reading the entirety of the letters from school thread before you ship out, and then post why you thought I had you do that. Whether you do it or not is up to you.

So, why do you want to be a Ranger? Did you play team sports growing up? The unit you are aspiring to join in my opinion, is best joined when you are young. A large percentage of Rangers become Rangers fresh out of OSUT/AIT early on in their careers. With what Ranger Disinfertention said, it is a very rewarding path to take due to the amount of exposure and learning that occurs in those initial years that will build a VERY solid foundation if you are seeking longevity out of the military. Understand as well that you have to want this more than anything you’ve wanted before. There is no in between, it’s either you want it or you don’t. If you get a slot to try out at RASP, you’ll see that others will quit because they were not, “all in”. Before you ship out to basic (when you’re in the MEPS hotel) create your own thread in the letters from school. Try to workout as well before you go, look into ACFT improvement workouts, plus there are PT threads on this forum that can point you in the right direction.

Good luck and keep us posted, your focus right now should be for that 15m target, going to OSUT. Also, don’t say RLTW. You haven’t earned that yet. Do 25 push-ups and one for the Airborne Ranger in the Sky.

As a wise Ranger once said, “Never, never quit!”
RLTW!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!
AlgerJ204
Embryo

Post by AlgerJ204 »

Ranger BlueLiner,

Roger that, I am replying to let you know I finished the 25 pushups and the one for the Airborne Ranger in the Sky. I also will start reading every Letters from School starting now. I have an idea why you task me with this, that being to observe the successful Rangers and the failed candidates and to learn from the failures and successes stories. On another note, I appreciate the advice on being "All In". I tell myself every night the only way I will fail is not meeting standards. I will never quit. Not in this lifetime or any other. But I understand I must prove that to everyone. Thank you again!
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Jacob, how is your preparation going for OSUT? I have a follow on tasking for you after you have finished reading the Letters From School Thread.

Your task is to begin memorizing the Ranger Creed, and post a self assessed RFT baseline. This RFT will consist of 2 minutes of hand release t-pushups, max plank for time, 5 mile run, and chin-ups.
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

AlgerJ204 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 4:51 pm Ranger BlueLiner,

Roger that, I am replying to let you know I finished the 25 pushups and the one for the Airborne Ranger in the Sky. I also will start reading every Letters from School starting now. I have an idea why you task me with this, that being to observe the successful Rangers and the failed candidates and to learn from the failures and successes stories. On another note, I appreciate the advice on being "All In". I tell myself every night the only way I will fail is not meeting standards. I will never quit. Not in this lifetime or any other. But I understand I must prove that to everyone. Thank you again!
"The only way I will fail..." You think that is the only failure you have? It's not about failing. It's about giving. Go there, knowing as much as you can about what you can give and you will see where you fail. I saw my failures there when I "passed". Don't mistake making it for being it. Don't forget the fact that you didn't fail means you passed. I spent 10 years in Regiment and I'm pretty sure I failed.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”