Introduction -Lyric

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Lyric
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction -Lyric

Post by Lyric »

Whats up guys, Im 17year old currently in AIT as a 68W. Been there about two weeks. Ive already read a ton of good info on here already so I figured I should get involved. My goal since joining the Army is to become a Ranger Medic and serve with highly motivated soldiers. I don’t have an Option 40 so I will be working to earn a RASP slot during my time here at Ft Sam.
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction -Lyric

Post by BlueLiner »

First off... If you've read around the site and lurked for awhile (which you said you did) then you know what a good intro looks like, a simple "Hello Rangers" would suffice. We are not your buddies, knock out 25 pushups, and do one for the Airborne Ranger In The Sky. First impressions go a long way. This website is one of the best resources that you have in preparing for RASP, if you go into the Letters From School Thread, (which I HIGHLY advise you do) start reading around the accounts of people that have walked this trail before you. Your first task is to reply in this thread and tell me what YOU think the differences are between successful candidates, and candidates who fail or quit, you got till the end of this week.

Second, what are your PT scores looking like? Your second task is to conduct a self, or buddy administered Ranger Fitness Test and post your results in this thread in 2 weeks time. So your goal is to serve with highly motivated soldiers, got it. What's the other reasons you want to be a Ranger, and why did you want to be a Ranger Medic? Did you play team sports growing up?

Overall, welcome to the site. Read as much as you can here, and remember that hard work betrays none!
RLTW!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!
Lyric
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lyric »

Roger Ranger BlueLiner, won’t happen again.

Two things that all the successful candidates had in common was their mindset and they had a “why”. They kept a motivated attitude no matter what happened. And when things did get hard they had a why that was more important than the present feelings. A lot of the failures got dropped for little stupid things. They were not dedicated and got caught drinking, not shaving ect.

My last ACFT was 585 and I will get a Ranger PT Test done this weekend if they give us free time.

Having some military family I felt like I owe it to every soldier that has served before me to keep the fight going. I cant sit at home knowing other men are doing the dirty work for me. I want to be a Medic so I can do everything I can to bring Rangers home to their family's. Also to build my career in medicine.

I played a little bit of Football in highschool, but mostly did crossfit and ran in my free time.
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Lyric, good job crushing your ACFT! Also, your analysis is spot on. Whatever your "motivating factor" is, you better find it and dig deep. I promise you after AIT its only going to get harder in the pipeline that you are going for. Hard work betrays none, and overall great sitrep!

RLTW!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
PUT ON THE FOIL!
Lyric
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lyric »

Hello Rangers,

I got in a Ranger Pt Test and a 5 mile run to see where I am at.

Pushup: 81
Situp:70
2 Mile: 14:45
5 Mile: 41:00
Pullups 18

My run is my biggest priority right now. Been getting up at 0400 to run because we have so much school/EMT work right now. Also, any advice with knee pain and shin pain when running? I have ran faster times without pain in the past, so Im not sure why it’s happening. Should I look at my running form or just put in more miles, ect?

Also, Is it hands on shoulder or behind head for the situps? Thanks
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Lyric, your pushup scores are solid! However, your situp score is exactly one situp above the standard for Regiment..... Also, your run times suck. You are going to be competing with other like minded, fit individuals when you get to Pre-RASP to compete for a class up spot. Waking up a little earlier than your classmates to get some extra PT in is always a good idea. There are NUMEROUS threads on this forum dedicated to fitness, whether it's running, pushups, etc. For situps, they are to be executed with hands interlocked behind the head, also when you are doing them, try and scoot as close to the leverage point as possible. This helps greatly with form and speed. With running, I suggest working sprints such as 60/120's into your workout regimen. Also look into doing low impact cardio, this helps take the stress off of your knees/joints and helps prevent injury from running. Also cycle your distances, don't just run 5 miles every day. Give your body some variation, you could do a 4 mile with a sub 8 minute pace, or 3 miles as quick as you can! I want you to retest yourself in 3 weeks time from today, and scrap the pullups. An RFT has chin-ups. Don't cheat yourself and make sure you fully lock out at the bottom.

Overall though, good SITREP Lyric. Keep us updated, stay focused and don't quit.
RLTW!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
PUT ON THE FOIL!
Lyric
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lyric »

Roger Ranger Blueliner.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Lyric wrote: January 14th, 2023, 8:39 am Hello Rangers,

I got in a Ranger Pt Test and a 5 mile run to see where I am at.

Pushup: 81
Situp:70
2 Mile: 14:45
5 Mile: 41:00
Pullups 18

My run is my biggest priority right now. Been getting up at 0400 to run because we have so much school/EMT work right now. Also, any advice with knee pain and shin pain when running? I have ran faster times without pain in the past, so Im not sure why it’s happening. Should I look at my running form or just put in more miles, ect?

Also, Is it hands on shoulder or behind head for the situps? Thanks
Lyric, good recovery in here so far. Keep working at it. You said you have a military family, care to expand on that?

You joined at 17? We are in that club together then. I'm curious as to how you found yourself in AIT like I did at 17?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Lyric
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lyric »

I apologize for the late reply. My command have been throwing a bunch of briefs and inspections to take our free time. There are a lot of unmotivated soldiers here who get everyone in trouble. Here is my updated RFT.

Pushups: 78
Situps: 73
ChinUps: 15
2 Mile: 14:03
5 Mile: Didnt get an all out 5 mile, but ran a 12 mile with a SDS, at a 8:25 pace.

(Also did a quick 6 mile ruck. 11:05 pace and feel like I could keep that for longer.)

Ranger Disinfertention, My Grandpa enlisted in the Army when he was 16 and served for 40 years. He retired as a Colonel. Other two Grandpas were a Marine(4yrs) and Coast Guard Drill Sergeant. Those are the three closest to me in my bloodline, but I have some extended family that was also in.

I joined at 17 because I knew this is what I wanted. I switched to homeschool at 15 just so I could work 60hrs a week and two jobs. I don't believe getting a degree and doing the same shit every other kid growing up does will bring purpose. My Dad worked hard and caused me to grow up fast. Im not going to sit around and playing fuck fuck games with high-school kids when I could just enlist now and get to work.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Lyric wrote: February 13th, 2023, 5:29 am Ranger Disinfertention, My Grandpa enlisted in the Army when he was 16 and served for 40 years. He retired as a Colonel. Other two Grandpas were a Marine(4yrs) and Coast Guard Drill Sergeant. Those are the three closest to me in my bloodline, but I have some extended family that was also in.

I joined at 17 because I knew this is what I wanted. I switched to homeschool at 15 just so I could work 60hrs a week and two jobs. I don't believe getting a degree and doing the same shit every other kid growing up does will bring purpose. My Dad worked hard and caused me to grow up fast. Im not going to sit around and playing fuck fuck games with high-school kids when I could just enlist now and get to work.
I appreciate your candor here in replying to my question. Also, great scores. Keeping working. Even if they are solid you can always keep improving. If you're the best in your PLT find someone who you can make better than yourself. Cheesy, I know, but we need challenges.

I cannot appreciate working 60 hours a week at that age. Pretty incredible. I don't even like to work that much in the Army. Getting a degree may not be on your list right now and it was never on mine for my first 10 years. But when I was a section leader one of my TLs mentored me into getting enrolled and earning my bachelors. It doesn't mean much to me other than I started it and eventually finished it and no one asked me to. It creates a better person overall and exposes you, hopefully, to different ideas and different people. Even in an online environment. I'm not asking you to change your feelings to college education today. Just keep an open mind as you get older and remember that it is totally free to improve yourself by taking classes on active duty.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Lyric
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lyric »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention. I will absolutely keep that in mind, thank you for the advice.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”