Medical problems and pushing it during a workout

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Beta, I ain't a doc, so if you are asking about working out with your heart murmur, that's something for a medical professional.

For your questions about muscle mass, assuming that you are cleared medically by a doctor, you are going to need to be working out pretty damn hard. Don't spend more then an hour or so lifting weights a day, your body needs time to recoup. More then that a day is counter productive. That's the short answer.

Jim
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Beta, do you, or have you, participated in school athletics? If so, for how many years? What sorts of problems have you experienced throughout your training?

I can't imagine that you would be able to secure an Option 40 with the medical history you've described, but I'm not a Recruiter or a MEPs doctor.

Without having met you in person, I would be tempted to say that you probably possess the mental aspect. The fact that you've set your sights so high after the medical setbacks you've encountered speaks volumes of your fortitude. Whether your body (heart) can take the abuse or not is an entirely different matter. I don't know if it would be worth the risk.

I would continue to research it. Talk to an honest recruiter (we happen to have one of those on this site), talk to a physician, and talk to a cardiologist. Have a list of questions prepared to ask them. Make sure that the physicians understand the extent of the stress and abuse your mind and body will have to take.

Be prepared to hear "No." If that's what you end up with, think about some other ways that you can serve. There are many other MOS's you can check out. Or, you could think about an entirely different career field, like law enforcement, emergency medicine, etc. The satisfaction, the adrenalin, the danger, and the service to your country/community would be similar, but the overall stress load would be considerably less.

I have no doubt that whatever you end up doing, you will succeed. You just seem to have the right attitude. Good luck and keep us posted on how it all turns out.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

edited...

sent in a pm
Last edited by Grumble and Grunt on January 9th, 2005, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS Class 06-06
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

DEP_MassengillMoment wrote:I'm not a Ranger but I enjoy athletic issues. For muscle growth, aching and dull pain is fine, soreness is to be desired. Shooting or searing pain is not good. Pain in joints is also not desirable but tenderness in the center of muscle mass is good; it means you need recovery time like Ranger Bad Muther said.

If you are still in HS get into wrestling if your school has a decent program that should help. Even if you don't compete go practice and work out with those guys.

Just my 2 cents.
Yoo masterbater. We do have qualified Medical Technicans in this area. Your advice here is not waranted, nor requested. You do not come in here and dispense medical advice. I'd advise you to re-read FAQ's before you post again. And do not answer me here fucktard.
http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1837

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

He can't fuckin' help himself!
The Intelectually Superior are like that.
I personally appreciate his input... :roll:
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Beta117 wrote:Thanks for your reply Ranger EarthPig. I did soccer when I was around six, then I started basketball till 7th grade, then I picked up swimming for a year, and then Kendo for a year.

Currently I'm trying to focus on getting a higher GPA so its no sports and all PT. The only real problems I've had is just being short of breath and heavy wheezing. But on the flip side of that, I pretty much just sat around the house so I wasn't in good shape.

I got my mom to make an appointment with my doctor for a check up. I'll get some questions ready for when I go. Who knows, the murmer might have closed up by now. Regardless of that, I'll try to go to the "heart doctor" after my check up. Thanks again, I appreciate your words of encouragement.
Fromwhat I understand, one of the main concerns with an arterial coarctation is the danger of an aneurysm developing. I don't know how high that risk would be with you, but it might be a concern of the MEPS doc.

The ventricular septal defect is another issue. I think most of them that are small, close up during infancy. Larger ones, of course, can cause all kinds of significant circulatory problems.

I would guess that the hole in your septum has probably healed, since you've been active in school sports. I would still get it checked out, though. The physical and mental strain that you will go through as a Ranger (and on the path to become a Ranger) is far beyond what you have experienced in sports.

It's all about 'reserve.' You will be pushed to your absolute limit, and then pushed way past that. Your reserve is what your engine will be running on much of the time. Like any other machine, if there is a tiny flaw somewhere, the harder and faster the engine is pushed, the more problems begin to arise from the flaw. Eventually, something blows and the engine quits.

Once again, I'm no doctor....I'm trying to paint an extreme picture, so you can see the seriousness of getting everything completely checked.
Good luck.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
ChipOnShoulder

waivers

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

"There is a waiver for everything in the military"

There are several questions you have to ask yourself-

#1- Is your condition going to hinder you from completing Ranger Operations?

#2- Is this condition going to endanger your future comrades from completeing the mission?

#3- If the above answers are no, have you sought a medical waiver for strenuous activity/military service?

There is a medical waiver for everything/anything. I was given one for high blood pressure when I entered the Army.

If you obtain a waiver and have the desire to drive on, then there is nothing that can stop you from achieving your goals!!! 8)
rgrdo
Ranger

16 yoa/m vascular/ vsd issues...

Post by rgrdo »

1st time responder so please bear with me (Guess I'm buying)...sorry junior, NOT FOR YOU...

1st, you and your parents need to visit your medical provider (Dr/PA-c/NP)

2nd - after your provider sends you to the cardiologist for an Echo (heart Ultrasound) and a through evaluation to determine the size of your VSD/ cardiac status, you need to ask him/ her about your Vascular - Femoral status...if the cardiologist doesn't know, he or your FP/PA/NP provider needs to get you to a vascular surgeon for a consult. This surgeon will definitly know the answer to your vascular questions...

3rd - you are young, you need to walk before you run. Even though many of your teachers may suck or you hate their subjects or "your different", we all went through it, and every one of us are different, then and now...however, you must pass your classes...

4th - we never quite...if you flunk a class, which I have done many times, I always took an incomplete and re-took the damn thing...usually w/ an "A" because the professor is shock that you would "do it again" and "Complete the mission"....

5th - when your 17 and are about to graduate (w/ a 2.0 or better), get into the delayed entry program w/ a ranger contract...however, many want it, but very few people make it....you have to want it so bad that you will die before you quite....

OK, enough of my babble...

Recap -
Seek medical guidance from Family Doc/ PA/ NP
Get Cardiology Eval
Get Vascular Eval
Pass all your classes
Get your RGR Contract
"Never Quit"

NSDQ/ RLTW

Dr. R
Co C 2/75 83-87
Tabbed 7/85
OGA - 87-92
Currently - NSDQ
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Beta117 wrote: The last thing I want is to unexpectadly keel over on the rocks somewhere. I mean, that would suck for me
UH.....yeah. Instructors loose their jobs and careers are ruined when people do that shit.
But just by listening, he didn't give me a definite yes or no for the military.
Hey bud I am not trying to rain on your parade but....your just not physically cut out to be a Ranger. I'm sure under different circumstances you would do just fine. But you are more of a liability than an asset.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

You've just been fuckin' told.
Your goddamn doctor or your recruiter have never been near Camp Rogers!
They may be qualified for an opinion on some issues that affect you but they sure as shit don't out-qualify Ranger H8 on this particular subject.
If you're so arrogant as to blow off the cruel but true advice from the experts fuck off and converse with your intellectual equals in the medical profession.
Ranger training is the only course left in the Army where hard men can still die!
We don't need your smarmy ass risking any careers so you can conduct an experiment.
This isn't fuckin' "survivor" this is real.
When you fail,you fail.
You don't make the fuckin' talk show circuit.
If you keel over on the rocks you don't just fuck your buddies you endanger the careers of your entire chain of command at your duty station and the careers of countless cadre that find themselves in the midst of a fuckin' congressional enquiry.
Most of us have been that route and it sure as fuck isn't appreciated.
This is not open for debate.
Consider this your first lesson.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “Medical Issues”