Med Issues - PRK, Kidney Stone

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Bill
Embryo

Med Issues - PRK, Kidney Stone

Post by Bill »

Rangers,

I have 2 quick questions about medical waivers.

1. I read through AR40-501 (http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf) and found that kidney stones can be disqualifying is certain circumstances. When I was about 17 I had a kidney stone to which there are no medical records of (Doctor who treated me is dead), and then again I had a Kidney Stone in 2005. The cause was essentially too much soda (oddly enough I started drinking soda again in 2005 and ta-dah! Another Stone - Shocking, I know). I have since had zero soda for the last nine years and no stones. AR40-501 states a history of "Recurrent Calculi" as a disqualification. Does this mean it can't be waivered? My urologist has offered to write me a letter stating the diagnosis and that I have a clean bill of health. Would this help the process?

2. I also had PRK surgery just under six months ago and I will be cleared from my optometrist on 3/14/14. I will be meeting with the recruiter either later that afternoon or early on Monday the 17th. I know the PRK is a waiverable issue but will it hurt my chances of getting an OPT40 with 2 medical waivers?

Thanks for any info you can provide. I'm sure I just have to submit everything and see what the docs say but if I can influence in any way with letters from my doctors I will do so. Thanks.

B
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Re: Med Issues - PRK, Kidney Stone

Post by PerryB »

Bill, I'll check my notes tomorrow when I get to work. I'll let you know. The PRK shouldn't be an issue I just need to verify the waiting period.

PerryB
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

PerryB,

Thanks so much for looking into it for me. The work you do is really appreciated. I had the PRK surgery back in September specifically to enlist as a Ranger. I really hope a kidney stone from 15 years ago doesn't stop the process. Thanks!

B
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Bill, I cannot say that your PRK will not require a waiver. I asked our medical NCO and he said so far every PRK applicant he has seen has had to have a medical waiver. I know this isn't what you wanna hear. Keep at it and don't give up. You may still be able to get an exception if you do in fact get a waiver.

Perryb
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

PerryB,

Thanks for checking into it for me. I spoke with a new recruiter today who seems to really want to work with me and help me out. He said the PRK will require a waiver but as long as my documentation from my doc says I'm good to go it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing I'm worried about is my kidney stone from long ago.

B
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Rangers,

Well I got some good news today...

All my medical issues (kidney stones, PRK) shouldn't be an issue as they happened so long ago. Filled out the needed paperwork with a new recruiter that actually seems to know what he is doing. Spoke with the MEPS medical people (not sure if he was a doc or not - seemed to know what he was doing) and said since my kidney stones were over seven years ago they won't be a problem as long as I have my documents. Also said my PRK will be waiverable. Things are looking up. I get my final letter from my eye doc on Monday afternoon clearing me for my eye surgery. Now all I have to do is fight for an OPT40.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bill wrote: Now all I have to do is fight for an OPT40.
That will likely begin sometime next week. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Ranger Jim,

It will be an uphill battle to say the least. My recruiter said he is willing to pretty much try anything to get me an OPT40...however, the Enlisted IC of the station keeps telling me I am too old (31) then that it is impossible and to enter as an 11x or 68W in ACASP program. I keep telling him no and that I just want to get med qual before we talk about it. If you have any tips to get an OPT 40 please feel free to share!

Although from what I have learned on this site I felt that I caught the enlisted IC recruiter off guard. He didn't realize I have as much knowledge as I do. I don't want to say I have the upper hand because I do not, but I'm pretty sure he knows I'm not going to buy whatever he is selling. Thanks to armyranger.com!!

B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bill, by now, I think you realize you are not on facebook anymore. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Rangers,

Quick SITREP:

Finished all my paperwork today and have everything but a letter from my family Doc to submit. He won't be able to give me anything until the week of the 17th so I have another week or so. According to the recruiter, after I turn in the letter I will be able to proceed forward and have about a month before I am eligible to enlist (he said the medical will take about a month just due to the extent of some of the issues and documentation that goes back 15 years). I'm pretty much guaranteed a consult with a civilian doctor...honestly I hope for this as I can explain some of my medical history instead of someone looking a piece of paper and making a decision without even discussing any issues with me. He said according to the records I look like I'll get all 1's on my PULHES other than a 2 due to my eye surgery. Everything is looking good so far. Hopefully the docs are in a good mood an agree. I did not lie about anything so it will be a little bit of an uphill battle. Thanks again for all the great information on the site.

B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bill wrote: He said according to the records I look like I'll get all 1's on my PULHES other than a 2 due to my eye surgery. Thanks again for all the great information on the site.
For what it's worth, I had a 2 for eyes for my entire career. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Ranger Jim,

Thats definately good news. The recruiter(s) are starting to figure out that I'm not going to give up on the OPT40. At first they said impossible. Now they are saying we will do our best. Hopefully that trend continues upward towards "we got you one."

Bill
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Hey tell them you know a 34 year old who got one. I had to push but I got it. I was the biggest pain to my recruiter. I called almost daily. They were happy when I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Grim666 wrote:Hey tell them you know a 34 year old who got one. I had to push but I got it. I was the biggest pain to my recruiter. I called almost daily. They were happy when I got it.
Ranger Grim666, we were all pleased when you got it! You have accomplished so much in a very short time.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Ranger Grim666,

I think the issue they have is just wanting to push me through into the Army. They feel with my medical history (I had some depression as a teenager - 15 years ago)could give me a 3 on my PULHES. However the Recruiter IC thinks a letter from my Doc and a consult with the MEPS Doc and a consult with a Civilian Doc should really swing that to a 1.

I also heard them say how big of a pain in the ass it is to get an OPT 40 on their part. Lots of phone calls, etc.

Also, I thought I picked a job with MEPS? They said I will go to the office of the recruiter and they will find the open jobs, then hold it for 72 hours, then I go to MEPS to sign the contract. It sounds fine but a little different than I had heard in the past.

Here is to hoping a 68W or 11X OPT 40 will be around in the next 30 days when I finish with all the medical stuff. I'll also call everyday if I have too.

Return to “Medical Issues”