Med Issues - PRK, Kidney Stone

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Med Issues - PRK, Kidney Stone

Post by Grim666 »

Bill,

I can see that however, in the small little world it seems that while they love the high school graduates they also want some seasoned people. It helps to balance things. Plus it is getting to be a "smarter" army. Getting that to a 1 on your PULHES would be awesome. I too have a 2 in eyes. Really doesn't affect anything except for a few job offers none of which it seems you are interested in. As for the OPT 40, I had to politely explain to both of the recruiters in the office I went to what that was and what it meant. After some gentle prodding and the daily phone calls they got the idea that this was a requirement to me. We eventually got it but it took a bit of work. The reserving a job I am sure there are others much more qualified on here to answer that than me but they were able to do that for me also. The trick for me at least was to get my Airborne physical done while I was at MEPS the first time. Then when they were finally able to nail down that OPT 40 it was more simply a matter of paperwork, no additional visit to the MEPS doc. Again this was my experience but who knows maybe it can help you out. Good luck and keep us updated!

RLTW!
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Ranger Grim666,

I feel much better knowing there are Rangers out there that also had 2's in the PULHES. The recruiter told me an 11x would be easier to get with an OPT40 but I would prefer a 68W. He said those usually aren't available but I will probably follow your path...call everyday and bother everyone. Great advice on the airborne physical. Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

B
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Rangers,

Quick SITREP: I should be getting my letter from my Doctor on Monday (possibly Tuesday or Wednesday) and it is the last thing I am waiting on before I can go to MEPS. The recruiter is making it sound like my experience will be slightly different from most applicants. He said I will do all the usual stuff for the exam but I will also get a private consult with, not only a MEPS doctor, but also a civilian doctor as well. Assuming everything goes as planned I will be able to enlist within the first 2 - 3 weeks of April. I am getting very excited and want to thank everyone on the site for all the help that has been given.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bill, I think I told you that you were not on FaceBook any more. You are on one of the most effective sites that deal with Rangers.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Ranger Jim,

You are absolutely correct about the effectiveness of this site. Definitely not Facebook! Hopefully my recruiter gets "it" that I want and only want an OPT40. I'll keep you posted with my progress. I hope to be at MEPS for my first consult the first week of April. Thanks!

B
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Rangers,

Quick SITREP: I finally received my letter from my doctor and submitted everything to the recruiter. He said it could be a few more weeks until he gets me to MEPS for my medical and private consult. I'll keep you informed as more progress is met. Thanks.

B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bill wrote:Quick SITREP: I finally received my letter from my doctor and submitted everything to the recruiter. He said it could be a few more weeks until he gets me to MEPS for my medical and private consult. I'll keep you informed as more progress is met. Thanks.
Great news. Please keep us informed. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bill
Embryo

Post by Bill »

Rangers/Non-Rangers,

It has been a while since I posted as I was pretty much in a holding pattern. In mid-late June I was informed I was disqualified due to some 'depression' I was treated for when I was 17 years old (I am currently 31). I was kind of shocked as this was almost 15 years ago and was related to high school BS. I figured my PRK surgery or Kidney stones would be an issue but they said they were good with all that since I submitted tons of good documentation stating I am free of affliction. I asked the recruited what I could do and he advised to get a letter from my Doctor. I did that but was still DQ'd. However, as luck would have it a Captain (whom I've never met or seen before) felt it was kind of stupid to hold me back for something so long ago (I think he may oversee our recruiting region...not completely sure.). He advised me to get a more specific letter from my current/different doctor and they are going to try and push it through. I probably won't know anything until mid Fall as I can't get into the doctor until late September. Thanks again for all the help I've received on the site. I will try to keep you informed.

PT Scores:

Push Up: 82
Sit Up: 74
Pull Up (dead hang): 10
2 Mile: 15:32 - I have recently started a running program to reach a 6 min mile...clearly running is my weakness. I can run distance but my speed is awful.
4 mile ruck time (40#): 58 min - not sure if this is a good time..I've heard the pace should be under 30 minutes for every 2 miles rucking.

I will keep everyone posted.

B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bill, Use the time to improve your PT. In addition, please memorize the Ranger Creed. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Medical Issues”