Ranger medic and deployment

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
440mopar
Embryo

Post by 440mopar »

I was reading the post about the medic recruitment process and was left wondering how many Ranger medics are typically in a platoon. I'd also like to know if the 30 day trauma center rotation can interfere with deployment. (The one at Grady Hospital, GA)

On a side note, my neighbor is a Major in the Army reserve, and he has told me that Ranger Medics stay back at the hospital and wait for the injured to come to them. I read from this site differently, that medics stay with their platoon and follow it into battle. I'd prefer not to wait and rather be there and have my (future) medical skills at my disposal if the time comes. If someone could please verify, it would be much obliged.

- John
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Ranger medic and deployment

Post by K.Ingraham »

So if the medics are waiting far in the rear at the hospital, how do the wounded manage to live long enough to get back there? Natural selection?

Once assigned to a battalion, a Ranger's schooling is normally worked in between deployments.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Fish wrote:Your neighbor is an idiot.
And a confirmed HOMO. Imagine the "SHIT" as deep as it gets, insert (1) Ranger medic, multiply x 3 and you will have something close.......... There isn't one MF'er on earth I admire or wish to buy a beer for that could possibly proceed a RANGER MEDIC. What's your next question there stud?

That being said..... I raise a toast to Doc Donavan, a man I am proud to call "my friend" and one to Ranger Jim Markwell, a man I called "my brother". Miss ya more everyday Jimmy!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

The medics in the Big Army go with their units, it would be ridiculous to think Ranger medics do any less. I owe my life to those 68's (Big Army ones).
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

X a million.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
tomasriot
Ranger

Post by tomasriot »

snafu wrote:
X a million.
X a million more.

We had a medic shoot a cocksucker who thought it would be a good idea to fire upon a Ranger platoon. Don't know how he did that from all the way back at the hospital.
A co. 1/75 Jan. 2009 - present.
RS class 05-10

"For one snatched in the night will behold all he sees with eyes widened by terror and magnify reports of the invincibility of his captors" -Alcibiades
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

tomasriot wrote:
snafu wrote:
X a million.
X a million more.

We had a medic shoot a cocksucker who thought it would be a good idea to fire upon a Ranger platoon. Don't know how he did that from all the way back at the hospital.

I think he was one of those news super long range sniper medics
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
440mopar
Embryo

Post by 440mopar »

Thanks Rangers for the quick (and funny) answers.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

The ditz could also be confused by some facts. Ranger & other SOF medics in training do OJT at hospitals with busy ERs to get real life experience before they get hung out alone with you on the battlefield.
Wounded Rangers like the idea that their medic broke his cherry on some bleeding out gang-banger in an ambulance back in Jacksonville long before he was confronted with your bloody stump.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Read this and you will see how far away Ranger Medics are from the action....

http://www.soc.mil/uns/Releases/2012/Jan/120109-04.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Also, BUY (not download the PDF. All proceeds go to one of the Wounded Warrior foundations) a copy of the "RANGER MEDIC HANDBOOK".http://www.narescue.com/Ranger_Medic_Ha ... 59D75.html Show this to your neighbor. Then ask him why Ranger Medics have to learn all this stuff if they are sitting on their ass in some hospital, waiting for casualties.
Better yet, tell him to ask any of the enlisted on the "Review Committies" if Ranger Medics don't work side by side with the men in a rifle platoon. Although, he would have to go to Arlington to ask Marcus Muralles, and I'm not sure Marcus will give him the answer he wants.. and technically speaking, even though he learned his trade as a medic and got Tabbed while in Batt, Marcus was assigned to 160th SOAR when he was shot down on a rescue mission so he was NOT, technically speaking, at the time working in the capacity of Ranger Medic. But I guess the Major is right in some small sense; He was on a rotary wing aircraft, which is to say, a building of sorts.. And they were in flight at the time, so yeah a guess he was sitting on his ass, and they were on a rescue mission, so he was waiting for the injured to come to him (somebody has to carry them to the bird..) So yes, I guess in a very broad sense he was in a "hospital" waiting for the injured...
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I'll go one step further.

your neighbor is an asshole who should be stripped of his rank and pushed down a flight of stairs.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

i wish i had something funny to say that hasn't been said already but i don't. i do have to agree with Ranger X though...how do people that stupid make it to Major? reserves or not...thats just plain stupid. i wouldn't trust that guy to lead me to dunkin donuts with a strip map while following a line of cops there.
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO

Return to “Medical Issues”