slipped capital femoral epiphysis

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
buckeye43
Egg

slipped capital femoral epiphysis

Post by buckeye43 »

Hello everyone, My name is Ronnie and I'm 23 years old, a graduate of high school. Since school, my dream has been to join the Army and to one day become a Ranger. My senior year of school I suffered a athletic injury named above as the subject, what basically happened was my growth plate slipped off of its base and had to be bolted back in place. I know I could easily walk into a recruiters office and talk to a recruiter, but would rather get knowledge on this issue before I even attempt that. I'm just curious if a current serving Ranger was able to get a waiver for this injury? Or knows of anyone to have been waived with it? I do have full complete use and functionality of that part of the body, can turn my hip at multiple angles and was told by the orthapedic that I could do anything in life (at my control of course ) but this is obviously out of my hands. I understand why a waiver could possibly not be given, it would be selfish if wile in battle if something were to happen to me with the past injury and my fellow comrades had to pick up the slack because of it or me myself. Any answers or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and to those currently serving, Thank you!, and to Vets, Thank you!
whocares175
Ranger

Re: slipped capital femoral epiphysis

Post by whocares175 »

i honestly haven't heard of this. i've heard of knee caps slipping out of place, the joints slipping out of sockets, bones becoming brittle, muscles calcifying, etc...mostly everything but the growth plate slipping out of place. typically a break that crosses the growth plate (typically in ped's and adolescents) can cause growth to slow or even stop. if you're still interested i'll research this and see what i can find out. feel free to PM me.

EDIT-ok so i here's the deal...according to this site http://www.army.com/info/usa/physical#lower look under lower extremity, it is a disqualifier however the site also states that waivers can be granted provided you aren't currently under the care of a physician. if you had the surgery and got the screw put in, i'd have your doctor write a memo stating that you have full active range of motion and normal strength and stability in your hig/leg and can perform high impact excersises to include parachuting. that should cover any questions that the MEPS doc's have.
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO
buckeye43
Egg

Post by buckeye43 »

Thank you Ranger whocares175, Yeah its a very rare injury, I went ahead and walked into the recruiters office and had a chat, guess I'm going to have to get all my med records that had to do with this injury and have it evaluated at MEPS. I believe on my final visit with the orthopedic (this was years ago) he stated in person and on paper that I could physically do anything in life, that it wouldn't be a setback but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well and that I'm given the green light for enlistment, Thanks again for your time, and service to our country Ranger whocares175
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

make sure you get it in writing from an ortho doc BEFORE going to MEPS that you can do high impact activities to include parachuting. if not, chances are the docs at MEPS wont let you through.
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO

Return to “Medical Issues”