Hearing Problem

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
hunter3006
Embryo

Hearing Problem

Post by hunter3006 »

Well at MEPs I failed my first hearing test and just barely passed the second one. This then in turn disqualified me from an Opt 40. The career counselor and my recruiter both said that I would be able to get that waived once Im in because there are back door ways to get things done in the Army. Is it true that I will be able to get a waiver after Im already in? Also I will be going to Airborne School after AIT so they both said Id just have to walk across the road basically and get checked out, get a waiver and fill out a packet. Thank you to all and no intention of disrespect or ignorance in my earlier posts. It was due to my phone not displaying the whole page and my mistake of not coming back and correcting it. Thanks again
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Hearing Problem

Post by K.Ingraham »

If you can't hear the French & Indians sneaking up on you, your brain carrier assembly gets canoed by a hatchet. "epic fail"

Others can state more definitively, but I believe the Ranger Regiment does not allow waivers for hearing and sight issues. You simply must to be able to see and hear. Physical weakness can be corrected by exercise and effort, bad hearing cannot.

In the army, "back door ways" is how you might pass a truck parts inventory inspection when you are trying to hide the spare parts you acquire via back-door means to keep your unit's gear working the rest of the way through the deployment. It is not how soldiers are selected for service in the finest commando unit extant. One of the very first cuts in the selection process is the physical. You've been selected out.

All the best for your next endeavour.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
hunter3006
Embryo

Post by hunter3006 »

Ranger K.Ingraham, its not that I cant hear or see. Its just that I dont have perfct hearing.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

hunter3006 wrote: I dont have perfct hearing.
Exactly my point.
You can hope for the best, but be willing to serve in some other unit.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
hunter3006
Embryo

Post by hunter3006 »

Ranger K.Ingraham,

Do you know who I could contact to find out more information or point me in a direction? Because serving in the Rangers is what I really want in the Army. Not some other unit. No offense to anyone. And Im not saying Im too good for other units. Its just Rangers is what my heart is set on.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I'll point one or two others toward this thread who are current. If they are so inclined, they'll offer their impressions & advice and correct me if I'm wrong.
Meanwhile, keep reading through the forums you have available, there's more on this issue around here somewhere.

RS 9-76

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

hunter, you won't be able to get your opt. 40 prior to shipping, but once you are at OSUT you need to compete for a Ranger contract like what others on this board have had to do. The MEPS hearing booths are not exactly the greatest maintained things in the military inventory. Best advice is show a stud and be ready to compete for that contract.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
hunter3006
Embryo

Post by hunter3006 »

Ranger K.Ingraham,

I did read that post about the hearing waiver being approved then denied if that is the one you are talking about. I was just looking for some more information and clarification.

Ranger Goon175,

Thats what I told the audiologist because I could hear the air conditioning duct work when I was being tested. But Ill be sure to work my ass of. I know thats what has to be done in everything.

Return to “Medical Issues”