Knee Pain

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: Knee Pain

Post by colt1rgr »

Young Ranger Brother, while I definitely appreciate your sucking it up, here's the deal................

At 47, and still harder than woodpecker lips, I have osteo-arthritis (better known as "degenerative hip disease") in both hips. This was caused by the many (MANY) miles of rucking, running, jumping and NOT going to see the DOC as I was well known for in "my day". Back then we took some Motrin and drove on (STUPID). Shit has changed and with the changes we (you Rangers) have gotten smarter! We (the American people) NEED our Rangers to take care of themselves. Get your shit checked out!!!!!!!!!!!! It may just need some rest...... No worries, but it ain't worth being a cripple in later life to be stupid now. Don't be stupid, take care of yourself, your fan club here on the sidelines will appreciate it! :wink: 8)
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

What you have is an overuse injury. I've had a many times in my career and after every suck school. Get it checked, get it documented and get it taken care of. It's not going to get better with age. I know it's the bad ass thing to do, suck it up and drive on but what's not bad ass is knee reconstruction before 30 and then you're out of the game permanently. At least for a very long time. Go to the rehab clinic at the hospital and watch the guys with knee surgery doing rehab. Also, glucosamine chondroitin is an excellent supplement to take. Look into get Naproxyn (Aleve) as it does the same thing as motrin but not nearly as bad for your stomach.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Ranger The Holmchicken is right about the glucosamine chondroitin. My knees are shot out, just had another scope at the end of January, and I can tell a difference in all of my joints since starting back on it. Ice, rest, and NSAIDs work wonders.

I wouldn't do too much without getting it checked out first. Waking up stiff and in pain sucks big time, but some simple things that help me are just sitting and extending the leg, looping a towel around my foot and stretching my calf out. Also, sitting on the edge of a surface, and putting a towel/pillowcase under my foot and sliding it forward and back on the floor helps to loosen it up without putting alot of pressure on it. Straight leg raises, stuff like that. Again, you don't want to aggravate it further, so advice from a Doc is certainly advisable. When my knees flare up, just getting off my feet for a bit and hitting them with an ice pack usually helps. You can put a few together easy with some ziplocks, 2 parts water to 1 part rubbing alcohol, and freeze. Makes them slushy and they conform pretty good. Anyways, just my $.02. I hope it gets better for you soon, Ranger XCrunner!
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

If you don't see the medics and have it documented in your med records in 25 years when your knees feel like there is gravel in the joints the VA will simply say "Not our problem as there is no proof of injury during military service."
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Glucosamine works wonders....just not quickly. It's not something you're going to take in the morning and feel better that afternoon. It may take more than a month to get real relief from it but it's great when it happens!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Well young Ranger, you have gotten a lot of good advice here from folks that KNOW. IMO the best advice is GET IT CHECKED OUT! You want to be an effective Ranger and you can't do that if you can't walk. You may still look cool, sitting in a wheel chair, but you won't be too effective. :wink: 8)
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

x4 on the glucosamine chondroitin. Also I take fish oil pills and eat bannanas.

And I know the merits of these have been discussed at length on this site...... but the VFF's have really helped my knee's out alot.....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Get it on Record.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Bro, I sucked up a knee injury with symptoms almost exactly like yours and found out 12 years later that I had torn my meniscus. Years of running, jumping and road marching had beaten up the tear so bad that my lateral meniscus was almost shredded and they had to remove most of it. I came within a cunthair of being Med-boarded, but I told the Doc, "Look, I have served my country for my entire adult life. There are guys on active duty who are missing limbs and eyes and shit. There's gotta be something I can do." So now I am just being forced to reclass.

Don't suck it up. Get it taken care of now. I know I'm echoing what everyone else has said, but damn. Do it or end up paying later.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
AntonA2W
Ranger

Post by AntonA2W »

As said prior, GET IT DOCUMENTED, get copies, find current med records, lock them in a safe, funny how paperwork disappears when you need it. Anyone who has to deal with the VA will agree. Oh, and take it from someone who had a bone growth and scar tissue in my knee (3 surgeries), driving-on though it is admirable but pain happens for a reason, get it checked before permanent damage.
"...Fuck it all and Fuckin no regrets..."

God Bless Dementia

1/75, A2W, 11Jul93-18Nov94 (started day 1 of a 34 day nap)

Return to “Medical Issues”