Microfracture Knee Repair?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
panthersix
Ranger

Microfracture Knee Repair?

Post by panthersix »

Gentlemen,

I had an MRI of my knee, its not good, the Ortho doc says I have extensive cartilage damage to my chondryl cartilage (covers the end of the bone inside the joint). He's recommending that I get "scoped" and then:

Microfracture knee surgery is a surgery used to repair damaged knee cartilage, which aids in cushioning bones at their joints. It is frequently performed on athletes, and requires a lengthy, detailed recovery period to achieve optimal rehabilitation.

Read more: Recovery From Microfracture Knee Surgery | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5163082_recover ... z15XVT6sSG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone had this? What happens if I just get the scoping and get it cleaned out? No microfracture?

Thanks,

Panther
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Re: Microfracture Knee Repair?

Post by C-MAC »

I did not have the same injury, but something similar and will share my experience.

Years ago I damaged my knee pretty substantially. I tore the meniscus (cartilage) and severely damaged the ACL/MCL to the point I could not walk.

The first doc I went to see wanted to scope it/perform surgery after a very cursory observation. Frankly, it seemed like he was using the diagnosis to validate his foregone conclusion- surgery. I went for a second opinion with Dr. Levy who was/still is the NY Giants Team doc. He basically first put me in a cast and then rehabbed the knee with a strength program after it removed. His thought was we can always scope to clean it up or do surgery later. He was also very frank in telling me that irrespective it would never be the same. Long story-short version he was right.

Overall, the approach worked. For years I had minimal pain and the knee held up. Years later, I had it scoped for clean up.

So out of this, I would say two things. First, scope/rehab for the type of injury you have is probably not a bad first step. The technique has improved greatly since I had it and it is a good first step. Second, surgery is always a good final option. It may ultimately be necessary but I would try other things first.

Just my humble opinion as it worked for me.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

C-MAC wrote:I did not have the same injury, but something similar and will share my experience.

Years ago I damaged my knee pretty substantially. I tore the meniscus (cartilage) and severely damaged the ACL/MCL to the point I could not walk.

The first doc I went to see wanted to scope it/perform surgery after a very cursory observation. Frankly, it seemed like he was using the diagnosis to validate his foregone conclusion- surgery. I went for a second opinion with Dr. Levy who was/still is the NY Giants Team doc. He basically first put me in a cast and then rehabbed the knee with a strength program after it removed. His thought was we can always scope to clean it up or do surgery later. He was also very frank in telling me that irrespective it would never be the same. Long story-short version he was right.

Overall, the approach worked. For years I had minimal pain and the knee held up. Years later, I had it scoped for clean up.

So out of this, I would say two things. First, scope/rehab for the type of injury you have is probably not a bad first step. The technique has improved greatly since I had it and it is a good first step. Second, surgery is always a good final option. It may ultimately be necessary but I would try other things first.

Just my humble opinion as it worked for me.

I appreciate your opinion and thanks for providing it. I emailed the PA on the team to get his opinion about just a scope/tune up and then the microfracture later. I'll keep you posted.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Best of luck brother. I hope it all works out.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

I've had 3 knee surgeries for torn cartiledge (2 on the left, 1 right). The biggest difference in how you come away from the surgery is how it is rehabbed. Find a good sports rehab center. The makes all the difference in the world. Make sure the therapist follows the doctors orders. I learned this the hard way. My last surgical rehab was by far the worst. I had a lazy, therapist, who worked in an understaffed center, and caused my recovery to be less then adequate. I should have walked out at the very beginning and gone to a new rehab clinic.

the microfracture procedure has been very successful for many people that I have known who have had it.

Just make sure you have a good sports medicine ortho and rehab facility.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

if you're still considering this i'd ask a few questions....what is the extent of the damage? are we talking a tear that's flopped over or are we talking degeneration over an entire meniscus? how old are you? what is your activity level? how willing are you to participate in rehab AND ACTUALLY FOLLOW THE DOCTOR'S ORDERS ABOUT THE PACE OF REHAB? from my understanding (and i'm not too familiar with microfracture however i am very familiar with knees as i've torn my own meniscus twice along with my ACL, having surgery for the latter) and also cause of what i do. feel free to pm if you want or we can talk on here.
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO
LJ_602
Ranger

Post by LJ_602 »

I've had 2 ACLs and a torn lateral meniscus (Lateral Meniscus is cartledege) the LM was scoped. Every once in while on rare occasions my knee will lock and I just push down on my thigh and it pops back. I made it fine tought Ranger School and it locked once in Mountains, but other than that is just ackes from time to time and I just power though it. I mean I ran a 34 on the RPFT before Ranger School and it hasn't bothered me on a ruck march yet, my leg is just a little weaker.
USS George Washington 97-00
HC-2 SAR 00-01
C CO 2-505 PIR 82nd ABN current
Ranger Class 1-11
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Well, finally had a group of three ortho surgeons look at my MRI. Their consensus is that the cartiledge looks amazingly good, but that there is bone damage under the knee cap. Because I'm arthritic (non-sero specific RA), they doubt any surgery will be able to repair the bone damage. I just have to take it easy and learn how to rehab it without climbing stairs and absolutely never, ever doing any leg extensions on a machine! They're going to take another MRI in a few months to see if my taking it easy is helping the bone heal or if the bone is getting worse.

The Rhuematologists also advised me that I'm lucky I'm on such a low doses of the RA meds. Apparently when men get RA it's either mild or extreme, there's no moderate like there is for women. I'm 50 and I just need to adjust my lifestyle to keep active without the running, for now, and see how I heal up. I've limped around for a couple of years before...see below :)

I've had similar experiences before in my life. When I was in college in my 20's after my time in the Bn and Medevac, I got RA really bad in my fingers and toes. I walked a lot, took some toxic drugs and the shit went into remission for almost 30 years! We'll see this time around about how my fight with RA goes.

I was playing in a rugby tournament in Toronto before the RA hit the last time and I was tackled from behind and hyper extended my foot and snapped off a piece of the bottom of the tibial bone into the space where the cartiledge is in the ankle joint. Two Canadian docs told me I just had a sprain so I played another 3 weeks on it with it just taped up. At the sports med clinic at the University of Maryland, then found the real condition. The treatment? No running and walk it off....there was nothing they could do as the ankle cartiledge was worn down and had to regrow over the next 18 months.....this kept me in college and then on to grad school as it showed me how easy it is to go from "able" to "disabled"...i'm glad I have a desk job now due to my education.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “Medical Issues”