Asthma and the Army

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I have sports induced asthma......

Usually only had an attack while running in the cold. I would just usually take a couple of hits on my puffer beforehand. carried a puffer in my LBE, but I think I only used it twice in the field.

Of course, my condition wasn't known........ :wink:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Nice Doc but I got drafted with a history of asthma.

Edited to add: this was posted in another forum (Recruitment Process) and I would like to add it here also.

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... ght=#22496
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Stead, Thanks for the info.

I prolly need one of those allergy tests.

Jim
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Doc wrote:Steady,

Thanks for the post and the info. That's why I underlined and capitalized "reliably diagnosed" and listed the method for testing of such diagnosis and put the caveat that there was possible waiver of such a condition.

When you served, did you ever have any difficulty with asthma? Did it require you to be medicated or was it "childhood asthma" that never reoccured?

I forgot to mention that in the same document, it lists criteria for retention of the SM and it seems that if you get in with asthma, then it is discovered upon retention physical, it stands a much better chance of receiving a waiver.

Check Six,
Doc
No asthma during my term in military. But did get bronchitis twice. Once stateside and once in RVN. Hard to suppress cough in field where you are to be quiet.

Read all of my post at address listed above. It includes me getting asthma again at age 32.

I wanted to take this time to tell BM a thing on his sport asthma when running in cold. A Pulmonary Doctor advised me long ago that during very cold weather that I make every effort to breath though my nose and not though my mouth. Though the nose heats up the cold air you breath before it gets to your lungs. Breathing through you mouth delivers cold air straight to your lungs. It is this cold that triggers your sports induced asthma. Another way to avoid this is to wear a thick muffler/scarf over your mouth and breath in. This generally warms the air just a bit before it hits your lungs. If you use the muffler/scarf over both your mouth and your nose you give yourself the best protection possible. always try to avoid cold air going to your lungs. Even if you don't get a asthma attack you can still get a cold in your lungs by breathing in deeply running. Stay healthy and breath through your nose.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Thank You Ranger Steadfast.

Return to “Medical Issues”