Medical Waiver Approval Authorities

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I just had to add something considering all the questions about waivers and how it will affect getting into Airborne, the Regiment, Ranger school, etc. This comes from first hand experience screening physicals in Battalion and Ranger School.

Even if you get a waiver for a medical condition, no matter who signs it the final approval authority is the highest medical officer at the schoolhouse or unit. For Ranger school, this means 4th RTB PA, and in Battalion it is the Bn Surgeon. Yes, there are higher, but they usually don't go against the decision made at the Battalion Level (unless things have changed significantly since I ETS'd, which they may have)

The reasoning behind it is this; Most of the medical officers involved have been through the exact same training, and know exactly what kind of toll it takes on a body. There is a reason that certain conditions are disqualifying, and even with a wavier in hand, they can say NO because they are the ones that have to deal with the consequences. I have seen on many occasions soldiers turned down on arrival at Battalion and Ranger school. In the most extreme cases the soldier has been medically chaptered out of the service because the condition never should have been waived to begin with. This happens more than you realize.

Yes, there are times when a waiver is completely acceptable. However, many times they are given to someone in order to meet quotas, or by medical officers who really don't care, because you will be long gone by the time it becomes an issue.

Finally, if you decide to pursue a medical waiver you need to ask yourself if it is worth it. Sit down with your personal physician and ask him a lot of questions; What is the condition? How does it affect me? What is the worst case scenario if things go bad? Can this potentially have negative affects for others and put their lives in danger? Would I want to put my life in the hands of someone who has this same condition?
Doing this may save you some disappointment down the road.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Medical Issues”