Tips and Tricks to get in PT during OSUT?

Basic & AIT
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Re: Tips and Tricks to get in PT during OSUT?

Post by Squidward89 »

My advise would be to work on your weaknesses whenever you have time to rest. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but you need the mindset that you'll have all the time in the world to rest when you are dead. That doesn't mean avoid all rest, because your body needs time to repair, but doing 10 minutes of situps during an hour rest time won't kill you.

One other thing, don't assume. My son got caught in that. When he first reported to the 82nd Airborne he was asked if he wanted to go to Pre-Ranger School. He said, "yes". They then told him he wouldn't get a chance to go until he had been with the unit for two years. So a few weeks back, after doing field training (~80 hours of work in 4 days) he was told to report the next morning to Sgt. So-and-so for his PRS test. Guess what? He failed it. One reason he failed it was because he was assuming he wouldn't get a chance at PRS for another year and a half, so he wasn't taking the time to keep his PT skills "Ranger" sharp.

Long story-short, if you really want it, use every opportunity to keep or get yourself sharp.

Good luck.

P.S. One other piece of advice is find someone else who wants to be a Ranger also. Having someone else to help remind/motivate you always helps.
USS Memphis SSN-691 1985-1989
US Navy SCUBA Diver, class 87-27-SC
Naval Nuclear Power School, class 8405
BoxOGridsquares
Paratrooper

Re: Tips and Tricks to get in PT during OSUT?

Post by BoxOGridsquares »

For Infantry OSUT, they give you a good bit of 'time off'... but you aren't going anywhere. So, use what you have near you, e.g.; Your rack.

Works great to hold your feet for situps, and you can do pushups anywhere. As for cardio... well, don't half-ass it in the morning PT.
11b2p
A/co 2-505 82nd 08-10
OIF 08-09 Sadr City, Baghdad
18th ABC PSD 10-12
OND 11-12

Return to “About OSUT”