Obtaining a Ranger Contract at OSUT

Basic & AIT
Cayo
Ranger

Obtaining a Ranger Contract at OSUT

Post by Cayo »

I have received a couple of PM's as of late with regards to this subject and I have read a few threads where this has been discussed so I figured it would be good to promulgate a little information on the topic. In all honesty, the worst part of looking for a Ranger Contract in OSUT is the anxiety of wondering whether you will get the opportunity or not. Some solid information definitely alleviates this anxiety. Obtaining a Ranger Contract at OSUT is not that monumental of a task IF you have prepared yourself beforehand.

The Army is still all about numbers. I talked with the Ranger Liaisons before I shipped and they told me that they take 150 11x recruits a month from OSUT who did not have the opt 40 in their contract.

Each company at OSUT ranges from 150-220 recruits, with an average size of around 190-200. My class was 163.

There are generally about 3 OSUT companies graduating each week, with about 10-14 companies each month. This means on average you will see around 10-12 Ranger contracts issued to each company, around weeks 8-10, coming up to a rough total of about 150 11x recruits a month.

You now know beforehand that there will be only about 12 of you in your OSUT company that will be offered Ranger Contracts.

This might seem almost impossible, getting one of those 12 slots in a company of 200. I know before I shipped that I was worried if I would stand out of the crowd and be recognized. At the end of the day, everything is still a numbers game. Usually one platoon in your company is full of nasty girls (National Guard) who are ineligible for Ranger Contracts. That cuts out about 1/4th of the competition right off the bat.

Another big eliminator is the GT score of 107. You will be surprised at how many people are held back because of this. You need to make sure your GT is above 107, take the ASVAB again if you have to, because there is no waiver for this. If your recruiter tells you it isn't a big deal, tell him to shove it and go take the ASVAB again. I saw a lot of good troops whose dreams were shattered because their GT wasn't high enough. The GT score eliminates another huge chunk of your Company. Get above a 107 and you will be fine, anything below and you can throw your dream out the window.

PT is the last factor, and is huge. Before I shipped I had the asinine assumption that everyone was just as motivated and dedicated as I was, doing all sorts of PT on their own before they shipped. I got to OSUT and thought, "Lord help us if this is what America is relying on for her future defense." To get a Ranger contract you need a minimum of 80% in each category on the PT test. The PT tests that are most important are 3 and 4 because right after is when they start issuing the RASP contracts. If you cannot come up with 80% in each category by that time you are sunk. If you are doing PT on your own before you ship, and are actually shooting for the goal of a 300 PT score before you ship, you will be fine. My worst PT score at basic was on APFT 1. I got a 276. I would never have been able to get a contract if I didn't do PT before I shipped.

When all of these factors are combined, the pool they have to draw from is much, much smaller. In my company, there were only 17 of us who met all of these requirements. 11 of us were recommended by our DS for contracts. Let your Senior Drill know right off the bat that you want that contract. I bugged mine half to death, but he got me one.

In summary, if you have the desire and the work ethic before you ship off to OSUT, you should be able to get your contract. The determining factor I think is what you do even before you leave. Your ASVAB is before you ship, and you should be PT'ing like a madman before you ever leave. With that in mind, you will be able to focus much more on your training instead of worrying about something that is out of your hands. If you have already done everything you are capable of, the rest should fall into place. It only works like this though if you have done your part. There is no way out of all the work, no easy way to get one. Give it your all, and you should do just fine.
RASP 04-11
RS 03-12
<2>
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Obtaining a Ranger Contract at OSUT

Post by K.Ingraham »

Excellent post.
Mods: any way one of you can turn this into a 'sticky note' and paste it somewhere appropriate?
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Kajudragon
US Navy Veteran

Post by Kajudragon »

thanks for the input Cayo. I leave soon for OSUT as prior service and was not able to get option 40 in my contract, but I am doing whatever I can to get a slot for battalion. I've been stressing on how the slots work in BCT, so this helped greatly. thanks again.
LHD-3 2005-2009
Basic Feb 22 2011 11B

From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots. Thomas Jefferson
CCo275
Ranger

Post by CCo275 »

I have two boys who are leaving for basic in April. Neither of them have an Option 4 or an Option 40. They are both going in as 11X. I spoke with the Regimental Recruiting Team and they have said they can make it happen once they get down there. The key is the GT score and the level of physical fitness. The only thing left after that is to pray that you make it to 2/75!!!!!!!!!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!!!!!
C Co, 3rd PLT, 2/75 93-98
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know!
SUA SPONTE!
Bem
Egg

Post by Bem »

Thank you for posting this Cayo, you have no idea assuring this is. I naturally worry a lot and I've been freaking out over this. Now I can be a little more sure that my hardwork and dedication will pay off.

Also, Ranger cco275, around what time in April? I will be shipping the 5th as 11X.
Ship-date: 20110405
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

K.Ingraham wrote:Excellent post.
Mods: any way one of you can turn this into a 'sticky note' and paste it somewhere appropriate?
Kevin: Done.

Cayo, good post.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Lunch wrote:Squared away post, Cayo. Good job.
X2. Excellent post young man.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

3x, good job on the post.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
nmott05
Inprocessing

Post by nmott05 »

Excellent post. Those of you leaving with out Opt. 4 or 40 need to heed his advice.
Never quit!

PS Word on the street is that the minimum GT score is now 110. I haven't seen a policy letter, or heard it straight from cadre, but just keep it in mind.
Graduate of first RASP class, class 03-10.
CCo275
Ranger

Post by CCo275 »

You do NOT need a 110 to get into Regiment BUT you will definitely need it to get into all the "cool guy" schools to include Ranger School. I think you only need a 107 to get into Regiment.
C Co, 3rd PLT, 2/75 93-98
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know!
SUA SPONTE!
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Opt. 40 and 18x are both 107, opt. 40 is has no line point exceptions however.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

My son is OSUT right now in week 11. He has a option 4 contract. His GT is 105 so he was not allowed a option 40. After he shipped in April I contacted the 75th Regiment Recruiting team and they assured me they can grant waivers for the GT score. They assured me they will get the volunteer paper work to him.

Return to “About OSUT”